HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 12-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #1
jwsamuel

Liked 216 Times in 88 Posts
Default Anyone Start Drag Racing After Age 60?

Hi everyone,

I am starting on a new project (website and podcast) aimed at people over the age of 60. As part of the project, I am looking to talk with people who made major changes in their life (not caused by illness) or took u new activities.

If you started drag racing after you were older than 60, or know someone who did, please let me know. I'd like to talk with you for website and possibly podcast.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 12-16-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
steve kl

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Anyone Start Drag Racing After Age 60?

Jim,
I turned 60 last July. I am building a dodge drag pak. it should be done by late march.
steve kl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #3
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 749 Times in 361 Posts

I can see how this might apply to some. Some guys got married & had a family, right out of high school. Many of these just didn't have the time or money to "waste" on drag racing.

But, many of those guys no longer have children to support. And, a few of those guys got into a profession from which they made lots of money, so now have plenty of play money to spend.

So, for those few guys who wanted a Musclecar and/or a drag car, but could not afford one, but now can, I can easily see that some might wanna get into drag racing, after age 60.

I had to stay out of racing for 20 years. But, now that I'm retired, I'm workin on a low budget bracket car, for local 1/8 mile racing. Didn't like racing any less, during the period when I couldn't do any. So, there are probably quite a few other guys who feel the same way.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
Slickfoot

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

[QUOTE=jwsamuel;578567]Hi everyone,

I am starting on a new project (website and podcast) aimed at people over the age of 60. As part of the project, I am looking to talk with people who made major changes in their life (not caused by illness) or took u new activities.

If you started drag racing after you were older than 60, or know someone who did, please let me know. I'd like to talk with you for website and possibly podcast.

Thanks,

Jim[/
Slickfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:57 PM   #5
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 676 Times in 260 Posts

I know this isn't what you ask, but I started when I was 13 and raced till I was 58 and stopped to care for Mother & Father. I plan to drag out the iron in 2019 at the age of 69.
Might want a little input from Bill Gibbs and Jim Hale.
I'm pretty sure there are a lot of "Start overs"

Last edited by Adger Smith; 12-16-2018 at 02:00 PM. Reason: add
Adger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:07 PM   #6
Cdncarnut

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsamuel View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Jim
Not quite 60, but I bought my first Stock Eliminator and started racing it at 55.
I raced a street car in brackets for 3 years before that, while I looked for a car.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:27 PM   #7
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

I just turned 71 so I qualify for this round.

In my teens in the mid 60s I was the "staff photographer" at Milan back in Michigan, a job picked up by Tom Kasch a few years after I went off to college. After hanging out in Boston, getting a teaching degree and moving to Washington State in the late 70s, I found that I hadn't been to the track in, like 30 years. Shame on me.

In 2013 I was back at Pacific Raceways with my camera for a Lucas Oil event watching my long time co-worker Alan Falcone work through staging with his GT car. I realized that it was time to get on the right side of the ready line.

In 2014 I bought a Craigs List 68 Mustang off some kid with bills to pay. I sold him back the engine and gutted the car, built it into a street legal bracket racer with a teardrop trailer to haul gear and camp in. In 2015-16 I got a lot of looks on the freeway with that rig. For 2017 and 18 I ditched the mufflers and turn signals and put it on a trailer as a full time race car. '17 was fun with aluminum heads and '18 was disappointing with iron ones. Now that I understand the N351 heads better and have sorted out the power gremlins, 2019 should be fun again. I'm trying to get teched for SS/CS to run in the local S/SS races.

I'm one of those people who doesn't sit on the couch very well and having a race car suites me fine. always something to mess with.

This is my first race car and I built everything myself in a two car home garage. Everything was financed from an investment of $4000 in Apple stock in 1986 at $16.50 per share. Literally forgot about it for 20 years. Never even opened a broker statement. Since I still have $17000 in that account I guess this is a free race car. It's nickname is Mad Money and I am Mr. Persistent.

Last edited by FireSale; 12-16-2018 at 06:30 PM.
FireSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:52 PM   #8
Coleydog

Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts

Not sure if I qualify but,. I've been out of actual racing a car since 2000 (car was fast and to much effort to do by myself) figured I was retired from racing, now at 69+ and still working full time I'm trying to put together a Duster 340 for stock. should have been done last year but I have to make everything and the wife says I'm a perfectionest...Before then I raced off and on since 68 but helped on many other cars thru the years. If I wake up every morning I'm happy.
Mike

Last edited by Coleydog; 12-16-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Coleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-16-2018, 09:54 PM   #9
NGBosworth

Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts

I was 62 in 2013 when I started drag racing a stock eliminator car. I am still racing today at 67. Let me know if you would like to talk. Nanette Stein. 2098152485
NGBosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:12 PM   #10
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 645 Times in 206 Posts
Cool Re: Anyone Start Drag Racing After Age 60?

Just for the record, Nanette raced me first round at Pomona last February, and dropped an .004 light on me. That was the best round I had all year.She deserves a good mention for that one.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote