HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-21-2018, 04:52 PM   #141
Charles Stewart

Liked 480 Times in 145 Posts
Default Re: 2015 Mustang Ecoboost K/SA?

Last portion of this post was very instructive.
Keep on,
Charles Stewart
Charles Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:00 PM   #142
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6130 View Post
What advantage would a car like that have over a regular production car prepped to Stocker rules?
Zero. If you follow the current rules and take advantage of the aftermarket replacement parts that are allowed you will end up with the same car.

As far as the rear end width, you will have to consult the tech department. My thought is that they allow "factory spec. replacements.
GUMP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:47 PM   #143

Liked 117 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
Zero. If you follow the current rules and take advantage of the aftermarket replacement parts that are allowed you will end up with the same car.
Okay, so if I'm understanding correctly, the real risk to me isn't the CJ platform itself, per se- the real risk to me would be that someone with much deeper pockets than me would develop this particular engine to the point that they cause the horsepower to be factored to the moon, making it much more difficult for me to even run under index.

Do I have that right?
6130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:52 PM   #144
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Okay, so if I'm understanding correctly, the real risk to me isn't the CJ platform itself, per se- the real risk to me would be that someone with much deeper pockets than me would develop this particular engine to the point that they cause the horsepower to be factored to the moon, making it much more difficult for me to even run under index.

Do I have that right?
Not necessarily. But, it is a risk that we all take. As long as they don't run 1.2 under, you can protect your combination by lowering the average. I doubt that you will see many of these for a while.
GUMP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:04 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
Not necessarily. But, it is a risk that we all take. As long as they don't run 1.2 under, you can protect your combination by lowering the average. I doubt that you will see many of these for a while.
I'm not a class racer- is 1.2 the threshold for AHFS?

I just don't want to spend $20K or so on a retirement hobby, just to get torpedoed by something that I never saw coming.

Again, I have no interest in setting a record or racing at Indy- I just would like to be able to comfortably run under index.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:24 AM   #146
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:

I just don't want to spend $20K or so on a retirement hobby, just to get torpedoed by something that I never saw coming.

Again, I have no interest in setting a record or racing at Indy- I just would like to be able to comfortably run under index.
@ 1.20 under index then that automatically gets what is referred to as "Tuesday Horsepower" or "instant h.p." ... i.e. On Tuesday following the conclusion of that event, a percentage of hp increase ( based on how far under the 1.20 threshold the racer ran) gets added to the current factored h.p.

http://www.nhraracer.com/content/gen...633&zoneid=132

There have been times where a racer ran 1.19 under once and for the rest of the review period ( every 6 months) never ran more than .999 under index again, and the combo did not get a hp increase at the end of the review period.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:27 AM   #147
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:

The best way someone can get into class racing is to buy a lower class turn key vehicle that is a proven combo. Say like P/SA or slower. That's how I bought my first NHRA Stocker.
I ran 1.4x under on my first pass in NHRA Stock with the car in my avatar and set the Q/SA record the same day.. There was no way I could have gotten a legal Stocker to run that far under index if I had built it myself for that amount of money.

If you want to go bracket racing with a class car, then the Stock Eliminator field is less populated in the (lower letter) classes so the odds of a heads up pairing ( with another vehicle the same class as yours) during eliminations is greatly reduced.

For $ 20K you could probably buy a turn key car, open trailer and a decent pickup tow rig

Last edited by ALMACK; 06-22-2018 at 07:36 AM.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:17 AM   #148
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,790 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMACK View Post
The best way someone can get into class racing is to buy a lower class turn key vehicle that is a proven combo. Say like P/SA or slower. That's how I bought my first NHRA Stocker.
I ran 1.4x under on my first pass in NHRA Stock with the car in my avatar and set the Q/SA record the same day.. There was no way I could have gotten a legal Stocker to run that far under index if I had built it myself for that amount of money.

If you want to go bracket racing with a class car, then the Stock Eliminator field is less populated in the (lower letter) classes so the odds of a heads up pairing ( with another vehicle the same class as yours) during eliminations is greatly reduced.

For $ 20K you could probably buy a turn key car, open trailer and a decent pickup tow rig

Now that's some really good advice right there!

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:27 AM   #149
goinbroke2

Liked 174 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
I don't want to clutter the front page by starting another thread, but now that I understand the challenges of the 2015 Ecoboost Mustang Stocker, I would like to ask about another late-model Mustang combo- The 3.7 V-6 / 6R60 automatic SN197 2011-2014 Mustang.

Ford rates that engine at 305 horsepower, and NHRA has it factored at only 260 horsepower. It probably doesn't have the same potential to run under index as easily as the 2015 Ecoboost S550 Mustang, but being factored 45 horsepower below the OEM horsepower rating is certainly worth something in and of itself.

The classification guide lists it as a 13.08 pound (J/K/L) car with a fixed roof, and a 13.77 pound (K/L/M) car as a convertible. It would still need a roll bar in either configuration, and would absolutely need more work to run under, to include a ring & pinion, a converter, and long-tube headers. This car would also be more likely to require smaller/lighter drag-type brakes and 15" wheels. But these cars can be found for even less than a used 2015 Ecoboost. I would need a jack for this one, because I'd need to have some kind of removeable mufflers- a 6,500 rpm V-6 with a loose converter, deep gears, and open long-tube headers would not work for public roads between my house and the strip.

I'm asking about this combo, because it appears to have been in the books for a while, but if anyone were exploiting it, the horsepower factor would have been whacked already, so I'm hoping that it would run under with a stock engine, and I'm also hoping that chances of a 3.7 SN197 Cobra Jet are pretty slim.

What say ye?
With regards to the aluminum block/heads, 4 valve per cyl, double overhead cam 3.7 v6;
The three I've drove (one being my daily driver in a f150) works fine, floor it and at 3000rpm it starts to pull hard. It doesn't "nose over" on its way to the factory shift point of 6750RPM!! This is a pick up motor! I thought it was a fluke but have driven two new transit vans with the same motor and same results.

So, in a mustang with loose converter and some gear? I can't imagine it NOT being a rocket. First gear in the 6spd is quite low so 4.56 would probably be as low as you need otherwise the 1-2 shift would be before the first revolution of the tire. lol.

Bottom line, I see a ton of potential in this engine, good flowing heads/strong bottom end and the throttle valve seems to be a good size too although I've never actually measured it. Love to see one run.
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMACK View Post

Yes, you're right. But I was still curious about something else.

Quote:
This part I know.