HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #41
DonatoEng

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Anybody know if Don Garlits is bringing the Challenger to Bradenton, FL this week

Very well said.
The factory will try to get the best performance rating they can for a vehicle combination introduction. Its the racers that will cause the HP hit by exploiting the combination and running way too fast.
DonatoEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #42
JHeath

Liked 370 Times in 102 Posts
Default Re: Anybody know if Don Garlits is bringing the Challenger to Bradenton, FL this week

Bill, how many of those " paper car" 67 Shelby GT500 mustang's are out there running so unbelievebly far under their indexes ?
JHeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #43
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshow2966 View Post
First time out with the car, only car in class, no heads-up runs, pretty good on the tree and dialed very well all through the eliminator that lasted for days.

What's the factor got to do with it at all at this time? It's not like there is any bogus GM factors out there, or any other Ford or Chrysler for that matter. He's already in A/S, where else you want him to go? Will this be the first combination to ever be refactored after the first race?

John did a great job and Mopar is still nowhere to be found. Ford got cars into the hands of real racers, not some worn-out fuel driver who will show the car a couple times and put it in his museum.

Why should I be paranoid? I'm just giving John/Ford their due, unlike you who seems jealous that John got another win.

Dennis Schumers
LaGrange Park, IL
708/254-3761
NHRA #331K

Good enough for ya?

You, Sir, should have better manners than to slander Don, without him and others like him there would be NO professional drag racing....you would be sitting at home watching your Ford rust in the back yard.....we all would.

Whatever car you race you should have the class to give the founders of our sport their due.

Jim Rountree
treessavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #44
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Angry Re: Anybody know if Don Garlits is bringing the Challenger to Bradenton, FL this week

Those who would call Don Gartlits "an old warn out Top Fuel driver" only show that you know not of what you speak! I spoke with Don at the PRI and he is exceptionally sharp and quick witted. The car is being prepared and outfitted as we speak. Don told me he would be racing it in Division 2 and that he would attend some of our SSSSA races as his schedule allowed. Would you call Jim Baily a warn out Top Fuel driver? Not if you like your head still sitting between your shoulders. I really think you are only harming the sport by speaking of him this way. He can do more for Stock and Super Stock than any ten of us could ever think of doing. Just think of all the press he will get! Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:44 PM   #45
Superfan1
VIP Member

Liked 2,347 Times in 411 Posts
Talking Re: Anybody know if Don Garlits is bringing the Challenger to Bradenton, FL this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
Those who would call Don Gartlits "an old warn out Top Fuel driver" only show that you know not of what you speak! I spoke with Don at the PRI and he is exceptionally sharp and quick witted. The car is being prepared and outfitted as we speak. Don told me he would be racing it in Division 2 and that he would attend some of our SSSSA races as his schedule allowed. Would you call Jim Baily a warn out Top Fuel driver? Not if you like your head still sitting between your shoulders. I really think you are only harming the sport by speaking of him this way. He can do more for Stock and Super Stock than any ten of us could ever think of doing. Just think of all the press he will get! Jim
Well said, Jim. I watched Don Garlits back in the '60s, '70s, and '80s (remember the blowover at Englishtown), and he will always be "Big Daddy". Stock Eliminator is not being contested at the Atlanta National event this year, so I hope that he races at Indy or Charlotte (I'm not expecting him to come to E-town or Reading), so that I can see him behind the wheel of a race car once again.
Bill Seabrooks - superfan1
Superfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #46
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHeath View Post
Bill, how many of those " paper car" 67 Shelby GT500 mustang's are out there running so unbelievebly far under their indexes ?
Jerry,

Two, that I know of. Jeff Velde's A/SA got sold to Ken Miele, but it has had some engine problems as of late, and has never, to my knowledge, run as quick as Jeff had it running (down into the nines several times, at races that were not "mineshaft" air.) The other is Bill Hawk's B/SA car which pretty much runs away from the best of the best of the 396 Camaros. Austin Ford runs one in D/SA but never lets us know what its real potential is.

There may well be more; but, those two are the high profile cars that have stood out in the FastNews stats that are compiled for each race.

Last edited by bill dedman; 02-28-2009 at 04:27 PM.
bill dedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #47
Dave Ley

Liked 242 Times in 43 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Dave Ley
Exclamation Re: Anybody know if Don Garlits is bringing the Challenger to Bradenton, FL this week

Bill , Just to set the record straight :

Jeff Velde's car was originally Ken Miele's car and Ken bought it back.
Bill Hawk ( Not Jim )
2 0thers here in D1 also ;
Richard Adkins (which is a stick car) and Ed Horensky.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #48
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks for the correction, David.

Dunno why I said "Jim".... I've been a fan of his since the late Norman Kaptan took his F/SA record away from him back in the '80s.... (Bill set it in the morning,in Div. I, or II, I believe, and Norman re-set that afternoon, out in Div. VII....) Ancient history, now... Hope I got that right...

The Adkins car I was aware of, but simply forgot.
The other car, I didn't know about.

I appreciate the info!!!
Bill

Last edited by bill dedman; 02-28-2009 at 04:35 PM.
bill dedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:18 PM   #49
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 13,254 Times in 1,238 Posts

Bill,

Just a little heads up on my combo. I did do a fair amount of damage to the engine in the middle of last year, but my paper combo has run 1.30 plus under with ease in A like many other cars that I run with. I just never felt the need to run it all out unless I had to. It is just as fast as when Jeff had it.

Last year I made the switch to AA, but never really got a chance to let it all hang out. I'm sure 9.70's would have been possible, just like the Chevy's and Mopars have done.

That being said, I think there are many combo's, paper or not that can fly way under the index when they have to. DeFrank out ran Hawk's 67 Shelby at Indy, what's that say about the 396? I guess the 396 has the potential to outrun anyone.

Do I care about the new CJ's that I will have to run, nope not at all, I look forward to it. If they kick my butt, well that's the way it goes.

Come to think of it, us bogus cars have to stick together, I least I will have one friend out there.
Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #50
Steve Calabro

Liked 40 Times in 11 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Steve Calabro
Talking Re: Anybody know if Don Garlits is bringing the Challenger to Bradenton, FL this week

Kenny, Call Demarzo, he is looking for a friend! LOL