HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
SmBlkFord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Rear tire size & rollout ?

Question , Anyone know if going to a taller tire will affect rollout ? I seem to think it will slow up my reaction times a bit ?
SmBlkFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:48 AM   #2
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Rear tire size & rollout ?

Only on the front
Old 01-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
SmBlkFord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok , makes sense , but what about weight ? In the past I have removed about 35lbs of ballast and believed my reaction times dropped ? Especially in the trunk ? Or I can just use the delay box , lol, thanks for the info
Old 01-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well as you probably aware there are a lot of factors that can affect reaction time and that's why delay boxes are so popular, with them you can adjust one perrameter very accurately.simple.
You can affect reaction time with ballast but it also affects ET logically ballast on the front should slow reaction times somewhat and ballast on the extreme rear may speed them up.
Front Tire size will also significantly change reaction times an I know some racers even play with their front tire pressures to adjust their reaction times.
Equally important is how you stage and at what RPM you leave at you must be very accurate, if you don't pay very close attention to how you stage your wasting your time.

I would like to give some food for thought concerning using a delay box while they can greatly improve your driving (reaction times) the same holds true for everyone else in a box class so the margins are much thinner and almost everyone is capable of cutting good light. While there as some racers who can consistently cut good lights with out a delay box in general there are fewer of them because it takes more practice and experimentation to do so and most people don't want to put in the effort or time.

If your new to the sport I would suggest that you master the techniques required to be a consistent no box racer before you start racing box class as it brutal out there! People regularly lose with .020 or better lights!

Last edited by Bill Baer; 01-08-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Bill Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:07 AM   #5
SmBlkFord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks.I might have posted in the wrong section.can not use a delay box in the class we are in.front tire ,stage,ballast ,weather,HP on that day,track I agree.But a larger rear tire robs more HP/TQ then a small one so I figured the car will react slower?Has anyone ever experimented with this? Thank you for all the replies.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well your right, a taller tire does reduce your overall gear ratio but there are to many variables to know if it hurts or helps. For instance it also increases the foot print of the tire so it should hook better.
I have gone from a 4:30 gear to a 3:89 with out affecting reaction time however I also went to a larger motor with more torque at the same time. So I don't have any A-B-A testing data. You could change the gear to match the % change in tire diameter and elimate the difference.
When in doubt test.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
SmBlkFord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks