HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 10-03-2009, 11:58 AM   #111
68hemiss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Original hemi dart information

The Sox & Martin cars are the hardest to trace. What poeple don't always know is that Sox & Martin bought & sold a number of cars. They had at least 2 cars in 68, 69 & 70 (and 1 in 74) but these were not the same cars! They sold off some of the old cars and built new ones. Anyone know where Joe Fisher is these days (ex-S&M shop Foreman). A number of racers cars were sold to S&M: Dead Nicopolis, Joe Smith, Dave Wren, ect... Were these cars turned into the new S&M cars or were they sold? I know of a guy who has an 8" x 10" Les Lovitt photo of S&M first Barracuda that still has the paperwork in the window and is readable but I have been trying to get a copy of it for 5 years! He just likes collecting old race car pics and isn't too concerned with it but he doesn't realize how important this is to someone who is trying to document all the cars produced. I have had a few people mention that if you want to know the numbers for Charlie Castaldo's Dart decode the windshield paperwork shown when he picked up the car - there was a picture. But if you look the paperwork is arranged differently than on the Castaldo Dart and the numbers decode to another car.
Mark J
68hemiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #112
68hemiss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was told that after the garage crash (Parrilo & Cerrone Barracuda) which was supposed to be the Harris Motors car. That the old Gaudreau car and the Harris car were combined to build one car. I have spoken to both and they won't say which car it is now. The last owner got the same response. I had heard that the Carpinet car had titanium door hinges (among other things) at one time and was quite trick! I visited Tom Tigenelli a couple of years ago and he still has his old 68 Hemi SS/B Cuda and Man, is that one trick car- even by today's standards! I will post some photos later.
Mark J!
Old 10-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #113
jimi

Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts

here is a pic of lou centolanza's new 1969 formula s 383 4 bbl 4spd g/s car , i did the alignment today and i am going to set the rest of the suspension this week. hopefully he can get to the track in the next few weeks.

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._6805921_n.jpg
jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #114
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Mark J,
Yes the shipping information will be the key to the missing puzzle. Both incoming cars, and out-going. It's been like pulling teeth to get the info, but I will persist. What I wouldn't do to get a peak at the Bill of Lading
paperwork. I have to go through an old union supervisor from Anchor Motor Freight, who handled shipping at GM in Tarrytown, New York.
You know union bosses You must say please...all the time.
I will continue to work on it.

HEMIDARTDAVE, You are correct, I guess I missed a shift their. Yes several prominent dealerships must have gotten a secondary Hemi S/S
car. What I meant to say, was that in the Connecticut area, I wouldn't think that a single dealership got multiple cars. The northeast area
(eastern-Connecticut, Massachussets, New Hampshire, Rhode Island
and southern-Maine) only had (2) solid drag strips to choose from.
Connecticut Dragway, East Haddam, CT and New England Dragway,
Epping, New Hampshire. Also, a third, Orange Dragstrip, Fitchburg,
Mass.(closed in 1970). It appears that (5) original Darts ended up in the northeast; Bill Flynn, New Haven, CT
Joe Patelli, Springfield, Mass.
Gene O'Neill, Worcester, Mass.
Bob Ramstrom, Worcester, Mass.
Chick Brignolo, Norton, Mass.
Paul
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:20 AM   #115
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

For the information passed on to me.
On the Bill Flynn SS/B Hemi Dart.
The sponsorship deal between Bill Flynn and his previous group
"The New York Dodge Dealers", who sponsored his 66' Cuda A/FX
Funny Car ended.
Very odd, a Connecticut-based drag racer drives a 66' Plymouth Barracuda, and is sponsored by the "New York Dodge Dealers".
Looks like the Long Island, dealers wanted A/FX-Funny Car exposure at the new Long Island Drag Strip (New York National Speedway).
Since Bill was an established Dodge/Plymouth racer, he was offered
one of the first-run Hemi Darts. The first 50 or 56, depending on
what information is out there. Whether he paid the racers price of
$4200 or not, cannot be documented. The car was sponsored by
County Dodge, New Haven. Not completely sure if it was delivered to County Dodge for Bill Flynn, or if it was delivered to Bill Flynn at his Performance Center, and then sponsored by County Dodge?
One thing is for sure, the Dart "Yankee Peddler" was at the Super Stock Magazine Nationals, at New York National on 7/21/68, as part of the
Magnificent "11".
PC
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:11 AM   #116
68hemiss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Paul,
I have a list (in some paperwork from Dick Maxwell) that lists the first 50 Darts & Barracudas (either by dealer or racer) the funny thing is that many "name" contract racers don't show up on it even though their cars have earlier numbers than some of the cars on the list. Larry Griffith, Herb McCandless and Bill Flynn are not on the list. I wonder if there may have been some dealer transfers from a Dealership like Grand Spaulding with orders directly from Chrysler. Shipping information would be nice but many of the racers picked their cars up at Chrysler (not Hurst). Another thing I have often wondered - Bill Flynn did change his car to a 69 model for 1969 (as well as many other racers S&M included) I realize that if a dealer sponsored the car they would want to promote the current model year but how did the racers get away with this in NHRA? They never built a 69 Hemi Dart/Barracuda.
Mark J
Old 10-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #117
Chuck Comella

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68hemiss View Post
Paul,
I have a list (in some paperwork from Dick Maxwell) that lists the first 50 Darts & Barracudas (either by dealer or racer) the funny thing is that many "name" contract racers don't show up on it even though their cars have earlier numbers than some of the cars on the list. Larry Griffith, Herb McCandless and Bill Flynn are not on the list. I wonder if there may have been some dealer transfers from a Dealership like Grand Spaulding with orders directly from Chrysler. Shipping information would be nice but many of the racers picked their cars up at Chrysler (not Hurst). Another thing I have often wondered - Bill Flynn did change his car to a 69 model for 1969 (as well as many other racers S&M included) I realize that if a dealer sponsored the car they would want to promote the current model year but how did the racers get away with this in NHRA? They never built a 69 Hemi Dart/Barracuda.
Mark J
I ran my car at Indy in 71 with a 69 grille and side marker lights in it. At that time NHRA could have cared less. I remember later on maybe late 80's when i went to Indy with dzus fasteners holding the hood on and they made me take them off because they only came with hood pins.
Chuck Comella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:11 AM   #118
ss wannabee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I was at Sanford,Me in 1965 and just barely remember the "Bloodhound" car....That's about it! Recall the name! I think I remember the "Gene's Speed Shop" Dart....think I saw it as a SS/AA car or possibly Pro Stock...wasn't it painted something like Candy Tangerine and White? Might have a photo but would take ages to find!
ss wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:06 PM   #119
W J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss wannabee View Post
I was at Sanford,Me in 1965 and just barely remember the "Bloodhound" car....That's about it! Recall the name! I think I remember the "Gene's Speed Shop" Dart....think I saw it as a SS/AA car or possibly Pro Stock...wasn't it painted something like Candy Tangerine and White? Might have a photo but would take ages to find!
Both of those cars definitely ran at the Sanford, Me. track at that time. Ramstrom changed paint scheme of Bloodhound and name to Flintstone Charger. Gene bought the '65 A990 Hemi Coronet from Bob the next yr, I believe and campaigned the car until he got the '68 Dart.....Steve O'Neill will attest this info, I believe. Steve still owns the Coronet beauty. WJ
W J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #120
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread but does anyone know why Bobby Harrop was never offered a '68 Hemi car?

He won the US Nat's with an A990 and then got an AWB Dodge and was very successful with it but the disappears from the scene.

JimR