HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-13-2010, 11:43 PM   #11
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 504 Times in 126 Posts
Angry Re: Doug Nash 4+1 Help

I have a Jerico but last year mine did the exact same thing. Every 2 or 3 runs it wouldn't go into 3rd gear. The bellhousing was out of alignment. Fixed that and no problems since(besides the engine last weekend)
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #12
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,535 Times in 430 Posts
Default Re: Doug Nash 4+1 Help

Hey guys thank you so much for your input. You guys definitely have me thinking because the last two times we put the trans in, it was kind of tough and it wouldn't go in easy, as if something was possibly out of alignment. I had a great bellhousing (quarter inch steel made in USA) from years ago but the rules state you need a new one every 5 years (I don't understand why, and all made in China now).

I am getting to the bottom of this over the weekend. I will also check all the other things FED and some others recommended.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #13
Randall Klein

Liked 317 Times in 66 Posts

I can't help myself, but I guess I'm glad I'm not a real man. Wow, what a list of potential problems....
ss/nA

I know I'll be sorry for posting this
Randall Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #14
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

Regarding trying to put the trans in reverse from a forward gear ya might hafta let the clutch pedal up from the floor just a hair NOT TOO MUCH to get the shifter lever to move into reverse ---You'll feel it if you know what I mean otherwise your gonna buzz the gear and it probably is not gonna go into third next time. When you shift the forward gears pull the lever QUICKLY ram it into gear this helps too. Once ya learn all the little things/tricks about this trans they will really will work good ya just hafta do your maintainance on them otherwise you're gonna have problems.. See if ya can get 12 point bolts to mount the trans to the bell and 12 point nuts for the tail case to main case cuz of the tight space there it makes it easier to get a socket in/on them. --- Comp 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #15
Joe Schaechter

Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStock1373 View Post
I had a great bellhousing (quarter inch steel made in USA) from years ago but the rules state you need a new one every 5 years (I don't understand why, and all made in China now). .
Did you look at the Quick Time bellhousing. It is made in America, SFI certified and a great piece.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:13 PM   #16
Pvt Parts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStock1373 View Post
Hey guys thank you so much for your input. You guys definitely have me thinking because the last two times we put the trans in, it was kind of tough and it wouldn't go in easy, as if something was possibly out of alignment. I had a great bellhousing (quarter inch steel made in USA) from years ago but the rules state you need a new one every 5 years (I don't understand why, and all made in China now).

I am getting to the bottom of this over the weekend. I will also check all the other things FED and some others recommended.

While you've got it apart, take the clutch out and make sure there's enough clearance between the clutch disc hub and the flywheel bolts.
I once had a worn clutch disc that just barely touched the flywheel bolts and caused the same problem. I never missed a shift unless something was wrong and one weekend at Bowling Green I missed the 3rd gear shift 3 times. That disc was the cause.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #17
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,535 Times in 430 Posts

Took the trans and clutch out yesterday and the pilot bushing just fell out. It was worn and burred up which leads me to believe something is not lining up correctly. I could feel the vibration coming up through the shifter handle on the last few runs and that could be the main reason it wouldn't go in third gear. My trans still looks good.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:34 PM   #18
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Since Dueces wild called it I didn't respond but yes a misaligned bellhousing can cause exactly the issues you're having. You need to check the alignment and correct it before reassembly, Lakewood makes a nice set of offset dowels that make it easy to zero a bellhousing in it's not hard to do just need a magnetic base dial indicator. You can probably download the directions off their web site. Joe
Old 09-20-2010, 01:37 AM   #19
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 940 Times in 259 Posts

Bobby, are you using a bronze pilot bushing, or a roller or needle bearing? When I first switched my 428 FE Ford bracket car from a C6 to a Jerico and McLeod Soft Lok clutch, after a short period of time, I pulled the clutch out, and found the stock style bronze pilot bushing very badly worn, with the hole enlongated. I figured that the sintered iron dust from the clutch disc was chewing up the bushing, like valve grinding compound. I replaced the bronze bushing with a ball bearing, and that worked fine for a few years, until I found out that the pilot bearing had walked out of the crank, which allowed the input to move up & down excessively. The next pilot bearing I installed into the crank with Loctite, and have had no further issues. On my 302 Stocker, also a Jerico/Soft Lok, I use the factory Ford needle bearing pilot, 7 seasons, not a problem.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:36 AM   #20
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

The lazy mans way to line up a bellhousing, is get every size off set dowel, pull factory dowels out, take an input shaft, slide a trans collar over it, slide it through the clutch with bellhousing loose, into pilot bearing, make sure collar enters the snug part of the bellhousing, install the proper off set dowels, and the trans will slide in and out like its not even there. it's a poor mans version of the browell tool, which we now use. Most pilot bearing problems result from misaligned trans. Hope this helps.