HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
Ron Brindisi Jr.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Observations and pit talk from Zmax

Some were mentioning for those trying to pick-up grade points in NC, SC, VA, etc., it was nice that Zmax got a divisional (late August) as well as keeping their fingers crossed for Rockingham (I believe in the last year of contract) and Darlington, trying to change guardrail to lure NHRA for a division race...

For the fan who loves fuel cars, unless there was double the car count the round went too quick with running 4 at a time...

New tracks that are built without the return road in front of the grandstands (with several turn offs) take away from the fan experience of getting another view of a car they like or to cheer for the round winner as well as a selling point to a potential marketing partner...

Add up the # of racers times the insurance surcharge...

Any other observations anyone??
Ron Brindisi Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Tom Joseph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Observations and pit talk from Zmax

I personally hate the 4 wide because I stand at the 1000 and really can't look at 4 cars as they wizz by. It's just a gimick for the fans and I wonder if they like it. The good news is there's only one track they do it at. I agree about the return road.
Darlington is one of my favorite places and we test the Pro Mod there as it is awesome in the 1/8 but the last 1/8 needs some help. The owner told me he was saving his money to do the walls which cost 250 K according to his estimate.
Rockingham? That track needs soooo much attention that I won't go there not to mention the pits and return road suck. If it rains you better know where to park or your in lake Earwood.
With attendance the way it is,notice the stands at ZMax, I can't see these track owners at these two rural tracks spending the money it will take to make them salable.
I heard a lot of gripeing about the 305.00 per car it cost us to enter but we still went and it's still cheaper than a big buck bracket race when you double enter and buy back and all that and it's 1/4 mile racing not 1/8.
The ZMax track is now the best surface I've ever been down so NHRA now has to figure out a way to get more cars and fans starting with allowing Super Street at 60 cars and it would fill up and stop the class eliminations which waste too much time. Just my opinion. I had fun until Ray Connelly had a killer package and sent me home even tho I was 9.900 and had a decent light..he did great on that run.
Tom Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Tom,
Don't bash Rockingham and Darlington. They have that old school charm. couple coats of paint and a little asphalt and they are good as new. You are just spoiled.

I disagree about the Big Money races to a certain point.
I went to Piedmont this weekend
I spent $520 on entry fees and $240 Buying Back. I won $200 in round money.
Yes I double entered.
If I was at ZMAX I would've spent $610 for 2 cars (same as double entering).

Not much difference except I would'nt get to see JFR or DSR
Chip Johnson
THE LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
Tom Joseph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE=THE LEGEND;253499]Tom,
Don't bash Rockingham and Darlington. They have that old school charm. couple coats of paint and a little asphalt and they are good as new. You are just spoiled.

I disagree about the Big Money races to a certain point.
I went to Piedmont this weekend
I spent $520 on entry fees and $240 Buying Back. I won $200 in round money.
Yes I double entered.
If I was at ZMAX I would've spent $610 for 2 cars (same as double entering)

Chip you didn't miss anything with that 4 wide deal. Didn't bash darlington but the Rock....??? You have to admit it needs more than a "Little" of anything. Ronnie and Bill are trying hard at Darlington in spite of the economy and if they spruce it up and go NHRA with a points race it will be great. The quarter mile thing is a big plus to me because as I get older ,and damn I am, 1/8 mile is too quick in a fast car. John Force must not have got enough attn because he was actually walking around the sportsman pits Saturday and I never saw anyone ask for his autograph..go figure.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
Ron Brindisi Jr.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tom... Was trying to make it to your pit to meet you again, but did not make it... I believe we parked next to u at the Greensboro Show some years back and we talked for a brief minute... I drooled over your roadster which u had for sale, after I had found my dragster...

I am with you... u go on overload with 4 at once...

Did u hear they were thinking about "temporary" type walls u move in for darlington?

I have experienced lake earwood 2 inches from the bottom of my friends trailer side door opening It would be cool if Rockingham recieved some tlc and u do not park under the trees... Wonder if he wants a division only? With zmax so close, even if rockingham was "remodled" would they even get a national??

Last edited by Ron Brindisi Jr.; 04-18-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Ron Brindisi Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Tom,
I'm with ya on the 1/4 mile thing. Like it a lot better, but that won't keep me from going 1/th if thats all we got.

Ron,
Smart money would be Rock divisional only 2012, along with VMP.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
Tom Joseph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ron get over there at Atlanta or wherever you are next. The 33 Rdstr has a nice life as a Nitrous Express test car used by one of their employees from Long Beach Calif and only runs it 1/8 mile on Thurs night at Irwindale so he said. Chip is VMP going back to NHRA? If the Rock signs and gets a Div which would be kool they need a lot of track work if they run 1/4 or lots of crashes like. 1/8 it's not bad but NHRA won't do 1/8. I love the pine trees great shade but the pot holes and the lakes have to go.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Tom,
We keep hearing the same story of those 2 switching, with one getting a national.
They were patching some potholes at Rock a few weeks back.
Those top end crashes they had a couple of years ago were happening at all tracks that year.
I have to defend the Rock good or bad it's home.
Chip
Old 04-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 984 Times in 299 Posts

VMP was supposed to come back to NHRA this year but, something happened with the contract with IHRA and VMP had to stay with IHRA for at least 1 more year.
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #10
Hemiparts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE LEGEND View Post
Tom,
We keep hearing the same story of those 2 switching, with one getting a national.
They were patching some potholes at Rock a few weeks back.
Those top end crashes they had a couple of years ago were happening at all tracks that year.
I have to defend the Rock good or bad it's home.
Chip
I have to agree Chip, I love running the Rock just because of all the history that is there, but when we were down there Saturday for the Mopars @ the Rock the whole facility is in dire need of repair. The track surface is marginal at best, but the old wood bleachers are nearly falling down and the pit area and restroom could all use a major make over. In a time where small tracks such as Benson and Piedmont are making huge changes and upgrades Steve is going to have to bring his game to a new level if he ever wants to make the switch back to NHRA. IMO

Chris
Hemiparts is offline   Reply With Quote