HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 06-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
Todd Boyer

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Survivor '65 A-990 Plymouth on eBay

Amazing to find a survivor '65 Plymouth racecar 48 years after it was built !!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-...#ht_939wt_1167
Todd Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
a990hemi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Survivor '65 A-990 Plymouth on eBay

This is an incredible vehicle but I haveto ask why does the VIN tag appear to have been plasma cut away from the door jamb?
a990hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
mopar68
VIP Member

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a990hemi View Post
This is an incredible vehicle but I haveto ask why does the VIN tag appear to have been plasma cut away from the door jamb?
Looks like rust started eating away the rivets (first time I've ever seen that) and started on the VIN tag hence its removal.

What I'd like to know is why order a car like this and not race it, or hardly race it, at the strip? I find that very odd. I'm sure the factory didn't just sell A-990 cars to anyone for this very reason. I'd love to hear the story behind this!

Car was delivered to and sold from Dan Coppola Auto Sales Inc. in Westport, Connecticut. I remember seeing a list of all the 1965 A-990 cars and the name of the racers that were scheduled to receive them. Anyone have this list so we can identify the mystery racer?

M68

Last edited by mopar68; 06-29-2013 at 05:06 PM.
mopar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
a990hemi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's not rust eating away at the rivets. You can cleary see the blueish purple heat discoloring around the pinch weld holes from a plasma torch cut. Mothe Mopar pinch welded the VIN tags onto the drivers side door posts in 1965 ...special headed riveted VIN tags appeared later on the driver's side lower corner of the dash. I smell a rat.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
mopar68
VIP Member

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
That's not rust eating away at the rivets. You can cleary see the blueish purple heat discoloring around the pinch weld holes from a plasma torch cut. Mothe Mopar pinch welded the VIN tags onto the drivers side door posts in 1965 ...special headed riveted VIN tags appeared later on the driver's side lower corner of the dash. I smell a rat.
If true, then it is a sloppy, amateurish job...but I repeat myself.

M68
Old 07-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
jimi

Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar68 View Post
If true, then it is a sloppy, amateurish job...but I repeat myself.

M68
i will set it straight right now ! the car is real!!!!!!! as real as it gets!!!!!! the car was owned originally by Dave Parent from Mahopac NY. the short story is,his father bought it for Dave, he used it on the street taunted a few cops ran a few street races. the engine dropped a intake valve, the Chrysler dealer in Mahopac at the time (with a lot of complaining from Daves father) warrantied one head and a short block. my father was there the day it was fired up . the intake intake and one cylinder head was hemi orange and the other head and short block was red. the car was driven from the dealer to Daves garage where it sat for a long time. 40 plus years ago Dave would tell my dad that car will be worth at least 100k "i will save it and sell it then". In 1979 my dad bumped into Dave at a local pizza shop and again asked if he would sell it to him, which my father got the same reply, a few months later my dad bought the present car that i now own for a whopping $5000.00 with two engines.

I lost all of the pictures i had of the car along with light weights pictures of his dart. this a990 the last time i saw it was damn near perfect. father time does affect metal parts and pieces like the tag , but it is the real one from that car. last time i saw it it still had the original battery in the trunk with the long vent tubes. the battery tray still had the "fomoco" sticker on it ( yes the battery trays were from ford trucks), the car is an automatic it had a 2.77 gear set in the trunk N.I.B, the plate that sealed the carbs to the hood was still in the trunk unused, there was a N.I.B 4:88 gear set that ate its way through the original trunk mat. it had the original exhaust tires rims etc. just like the pictures on the auction....
jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
a990hemi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I stand corrected, this car is definitely legitimate and at least 5 cars from the run have been authenticated as having this same VIN tag font and format.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
jimi

Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
I stand corrected, this car is definitely legitimate and at least 5 cars from the run have been authenticated as having this same VIN tag font and format.
a 990 they used different type font and format from car to car? or just a few of them?
jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
a990hemi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi View Post
a 990 they used different type font and format from car to car? or just a few of them?
I truly do not know the intricate details about the VIN tag fonts and formats since I am only sharing details from the ebay auction questions section. Former Chrysler broadcast programmer Walt Redmond commented that he is aware of 5 other authenticated A-990 cars with similar tags.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
a990hemi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's a link to the 1965 Plymouth Super Stock owners list:

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.c...ockowners.html