HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 08-18-2019, 10:45 PM   #11
spike1

Liked 53 Times in 16 Posts
Default Re: spiral or ring type piston pin retainers

I have been running round pin rings (CP) for over 2 years now (200 runs) in my 5.7 drag pak up to 8400 rpm and never had a problem with ring clips, pins or piston.
spike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:10 AM   #12
rawhide

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Goldman View Post
I have engines with both dual spiral locks ,and the round wire rings.
Mahle has the round wire clips in their specialty performance line.
Since the wire ring engine has not been pressed into service yet ,I cant personally attest to their durability.
That being said , my finger tips were in much better shape after assembling the engine with the wire clips !!
Back in the 80's the machine shop that did my work was building some mighty successful Dirt Modified engines with the wire clips , I cant remember them having any failures. . ...Plus they had some Cosworth engines there which also had them.
I have not seen a Cosworth piston that did not have round wire rings in them and they started business in 1959. The last V8 Ford Formula One engine they did ran at 19500 rpm without any failures that I can remember. Even flathead Fords had round wire locks.
rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 08-19-2019, 08:46 AM   #13
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

I was in the engine machining and building world for many years and not once can I recall seeing round wire pin locks....from any of the major piston manufacturers.

Round snap ring type was common.....double per side and then spiral locks were the most common.

Yes they tear up your fingers and usually end up with some blood involved.

They made a tool for them but I developed a pretty easy method of getting them in and out.....no blood....usually...

I would guess the round wire lock does not pound out the groove like a flat lock does making it harder to disassemble pistons after some use...

I also assume the round wire lock groove is cut to fit the lock and if done wrong bad things happen...…

I usually Learn something new everyday...but I'm sticking with spiral locks.....LOL
Old 08-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #14
gmonde

Liked 166 Times in 59 Posts

thanks guys for responses ,, I did get some helpful information from the piston manufacture as well that puts my mind at ease
gmonde
gmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:12 AM   #15
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

The more I thought about it I do recall some old engines had round wire locks....maybe some foreign stuff......can't recall anymore exactly....its been to long....
Old 08-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #16
Tom Broome

Liked 70 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
I was in the engine machining and building world for many years and not once can I recall seeing round wire pin locks....from any of the major piston manufacturers.

Round snap ring type was common.....double per side and then spiral locks were the most common.

Yes they tear up your fingers and usually end up with some blood involved.

They made a tool for them but I developed a pretty easy method of getting them in and out.....no blood....usually...

I would guess the round wire lock does not pound out the groove like a flat lock does making it harder to disassemble pistons after some use...

I also assume the round wire lock groove is cut to fit the lock and if done wrong bad things happen...…

I usually Learn something new everyday...but I'm sticking with spiral locks.....LOL
I still prefer spiral locks also. But there were a few somewhat major piston manufacturers many years ago that utilized round wire locks. One you might have heard of....Cosworth. We used lots of them in the 80's on Buick R&D at the shop I worked at. Cosworth seemed to have it figured out, even the "on center bore" V6 Buicks still had rod offset issues and I can't recall a single Cosworth piston pin issue.
Tom Broome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:31 PM   #17
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 321 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post

I'm not sure Rich, but I think that you might be referring to the doubled up Tru-Arc snap rings.

Bob
Old 08-21-2019, 05:11 PM   #18
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mulry View Post
I'm not sure Rich, but I think that you might be referring to the doubled up Tru-Arc snap rings.

Bob
We used double Tru-Arcs a lot. Sharp side facing away from each other..to the outsides.
Again, no failures.
Also used single spiral locks too.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:05 PM   #19
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mulry View Post

Bob

No Bob.....What Mark said was spot on about Tru Arcs....exactly what we used and how we installed them..

I was thinking of some old engines and oddball stuff that we occasionally worked on....Round wire locks...

In my long working career I once worked in a pretty famous restoration shop here in NJ.....They did all old cars and specialized in Packards and other high end old cars....I worked on some real interesting cars for a while.....I worked in the mechanical end.....engines, drivelines,brakes, you name it.

Was to slow a pace for me and the pay was poor.....Rich guys spending a fortune and we got paid coolie wages....LOL

Like they say today.....He gone....that was me....