HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing

Old 08-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
1979LX383

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Bought my first drag car.

Bought a 1979 Mustang LX. Fiberglass hood, weld drag lites, lexan windows, and a 8 point cage. All for $500 Not a bad deal huh? I've put a tubular k member and built a 383 sbc for it. What do you guys think? Any suggestionsClick image for larger version

Name:	3k33md3p0ZZZZZZZZZ95vc09ff565ab8e1b67.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	13171

Click image for larger version

Name:	3kc3p23odZZZZZZZZZ95va0d0d912eddc1681.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	13172?
1979LX383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
TDCRACING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Bought my first drag car.

keep at it dont give up the dream. Ive had hot rods and always wanted a race car and finally got one at 42 years old and havent looked back. Yea sure its not as fast as I'd like, but im out there doin it. As for the power it'll come eventually and you know what? it cost me about 60 bucks to race each time, 70 if a get a burger and a drink. lol . Just remember it doesnt have to be an 8sec. car to have fun, just build it SAFE. Dave
TDCRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wink Re: Bought my first drag car.

Well,, for $500.00 you didn't do too bad,, and I'm a Chevy guy. Fox body Mustangs are light,, a plus,, don't know how much tire you're planning on using, but put as much in there as you can,, if they're only 9 inchers,, its okay, stockers do it all the time. Since you're using a sbc, don't know how strong your 383 is,, you might think about using a Powerglide with a transbrake (Biondo button) and a 2 step(adjustable) for the most consistency, if you're not planning on running a delay box and/or throttle stop. Don't over gear the thing and by all means get a quality converter.
Get the car to launch straight and consistantly, before you worry about going faster. Make sure you've got a good front end alignment and any required safety equipment.
Make sure nothing binds on the car,, on level ground you should just barely have to lean on it to make it start rolling.
Oh, and by the way use your name on here, as a lot of no namers get little response to their questions.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy the ride.
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote