HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Factory Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-07-2014, 11:44 PM   #31
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts
Default Re: History Repeats itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Kershaw View Post
Not that I recall.

I submitted the GT from 2008 to present and V6 from 2011 to present. They have been in the guide for months.
I'm not aware of anyone racing them.

There are high value combinations in the Cobra Jet line up as well. The 2010 Cobra Jet 4.6l combo for example is very affordable for how fast it can go and it is easy to build as the vast majority of the parts are available from any Ford dealer.

There is always a dilemma when submitting new cars. Make it a value with low initial cost, and competitive, but it will also likely be in classes with older cars. Or make something that is still a value but considerably more expensive and runs against other late models almost exclusively. The vast majority of our customer cars are the latter option but we have always tried to get more price conscious combinations legal for racers to consider.

When I hear what racers pay for clean sheet metal on older cars, what it cost them for the latest trickiest head for their big block, or the difficulty they have in finding 20-30-40 year old parts, I am reminded that the late model cars can be a huge value. Like anything in racing you can spend as much as you want.

I am proud of the job we've done presenting cost effective options, pushing for new faster classes for the late models, posting more contingency than ever for all model years, and putting effort into growing the sport.
Send to Mike Baker at IHRA . Mbaker@ihra.com
I will do what I can to get it into Pure Stock
There are more,than few people wanting to run these combos.

D
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:39 AM   #32
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Kershaw View Post
Not that I recall.

I submitted the GT from 2008 to present and V6 from 2011 to present. They have been in the guide for months.
I'm not aware of anyone racing them.

There are high value combinations in the Cobra Jet line up as well. The 2010 Cobra Jet 4.6l combo for example is very affordable for how fast it can go and it is easy to build as the vast majority of the parts are available from any Ford dealer.

There is always a dilemma when submitting new cars. Make it a value with low initial cost, and competitive, but it will also likely be in classes with older cars. Or make something that is still a value but considerably more expensive and runs against other late models almost exclusively. The vast majority of our customer cars are the latter option but we have always tried to get more price conscious combinations legal for racers to consider.

When I hear what racers pay for clean sheet metal on older cars, what it cost them for the latest trickiest head for their big block, or the difficulty they have in finding 20-30-40 year old parts, I am reminded that the late model cars can be a huge value. Like anything in racing you can spend as much as you want.

I am proud of the job we've done presenting cost effective options, pushing for new faster classes for the late models, posting more contingency than ever for all model years, and putting effort into growing the sport.
Thanks Jesse for what you did helping to get the 3.7 Mustang in Pure Stock !
Much appreciated.

I was impressed with how quickly you responded to my e-mail request to send the 2011-2014 V-6 Mustang specs to Mike Baker for a Pure Stock classification review.

Now the 3.7 Mustang is legal for Pure Stock and it's natural class is F/PS.

Last edited by ALMACK; 06-10-2014 at 07:42 AM.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #33
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

This is great...WTG.

The new Mustang will have lots of Competition.

D
Old 06-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #34
Jeff Kempton

Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts

Maybe one of you could clarify something for me. With the exception of the nine combos listed in the IHRA horsepower list on the IHRA website, don't all Pure Stock entries use the NHRA Stock factors to determine their natural class? In other words; once the V6 Mustang combo was in the NHRA Guide it also became eligible for Pure Stock at the NHRA factor, unless IHRA adjusts it, in which case the combo and revised factor would be added to their list along with the nine already listed.

If this is not correct then only those nine combos would be eligible to run Pure Stock, which is not the case.

Thanks are certainly due to Jesse for providing the technical info so that the late model production Mustangs are able to race in Super Stock and Stock as well as Pure Stock.

Last edited by Jeff Kempton; 06-10-2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
Jeff Kempton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #35
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kempton View Post
Maybe one of you could clarify something for me. With the exception of the nine combos listed in the IHRA horsepower list on the IHRA website, don't all Pure Stock entries use the NHRA Stock factors to determine their natural class? In other words; once the V6 Mustang combo was in the NHRA Guide it also became eligible for Pure Stock at the NHRA factor, unless IHRA adjusts it, in which case the combo and revised factor would be added to their list along with the nine already listed.

If this is not correct then only those nine combos would be eligible to run Pure Stock, which is not the case.

Thanks are certainly due to Jesse for providing the technical info so that the late model production Mustangs are able to race in Super Stock and Stock as well as Pure Stock.
Jeff:
To get the combo allowed into Pure Stock, IHRA needs to know the factory cam duration and overlap ( maybe even more info than that) and they also need to know the factory valve spring pressure(s)

That's where Jesse really helped to speed up getting the 3.7 into PS.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:58 AM   #36
Jeff Kempton

Alan;

Thanks for clearing that up for me; I had forgotten about the additional cam specs required.

Jeff
Old 06-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #37
Jeff Kempton

Does IHRA have a listing somewhere which shows which combos are approved for Pure Stock, and what the camshaft specs are?
Old 06-11-2014, 10:42 PM   #38
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Quote:
Does IHRA have a listing somewhere which shows which combos are approved for Pure Stock, and what the camshaft specs are?

Yes mostly from older archives.
Use to be available easily from manufacturers.

D
Old 06-12-2014, 06:59 AM   #39
Jeff Kempton

Dan;

Could you post a link to the current list, or does IHRA not publish it for some reason?

Thanks

Jeff
Old 06-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #40
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Quote:
Dan;

Could you post a link to the current list, or does IHRA not publish it for some reason?

Thanks

Jeff
www.NHRA.com has most of the specifications.
IHRA uses 99% of what they posted.
Otherwise we have to ping Jim Wood and Mike Baker..

Think it about time IHRA starts investing in their own Classification and Specifications Library.

Create a formal way to add new car specifications.
Instead of the current process.

IHRA could increase Stock and Super Stock participation dramatically getting all the New US Cars Specifications.

They would double participation of they started allowing IMPORTS...
Trumping NHRA.. Who is lazy on this too..

D

D