HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #1
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts
Default ACD Shifter Lost CO2 Instantaneously

Was at Earlville this weekend, and in the first round of Super Stock, my car air-shifted 1-2 perfectly, but then wouldn't air-shift 2-3. I quickly manually shifted it, and when I got back to the trailer, the pressure gauges on top of the bottle were both at zero. I KNOW that earlier that morning, I had like 800 psi on the main (pre-regulator) gauge. It appears as though between the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, the system emptied itself. Has anybody ever experienced this, and what did you find was the cause? I've refilled the bottle, but don't want to reinstall it until I understand what went wrong. Thanks for any response.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 09-09-2019, 03:47 PM   #2
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts
Default Re: ACD Shifter Lost CO2 Instantaneously

Most likely something blew out. Maybe a line, shift solenoid or the regulator diaphragm. Just hook it to your air compressor and test with soap water to see if you can locate the leak. On my car I have a Schrader valve on my cylinder and no regulator I just use air from the compressor and fill it each day if needed. I put 100 PSI in the bottle and it will usually last a whole weekend with out refilling

Last edited by Mike Pearson; 09-09-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Mike Pearson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #3
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts

That problem just happened to my car . It was the regulator diaphragm which split . I called ACD , and they said they do not service the two gauge regulator anymore . I was hoping to just replace the diaphragm but there is no manufacturer name on the regulator . ACD now sells a non adjustable regulator that has one gauge , that shows the bottle pressure .
ss3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:14 PM   #4
nhramnl

Thanks to both of you, guys. I agree that the instantaneous loss of that much pressure points to a failure of something that is supposed to stand-up to pressure. I will follow Mike's great suggestion to pressurize the system with a connection to an air compressor and start checking things with soapy water.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #5
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts

If the diaphragm is leaking the air will escape through the vent hole near the regulator adjustment screw .

I wonder if it would make sense to cycle the shift solenoid after the race day is over so the diaphragm isn't under stress when the car is in storage . I close the valve at the end of the day but haven't been cycling the solenoid . So the next time I get in the car both gauges are in exactly pressure reading . Certainly tells me the system is tight , keeps the diaphragm under pressure . If I cycle the solenoid the gauges will both go to zero , and will cause no load on the diaphragm .
ss3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 09-10-2019, 09:12 AM   #6
David Daulton

Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts

My ACD three speed shifter did the exact same thing once and it ended up being the push in hose connector at the 2-3 solenoid. The sealing ring inside it cracked/blew apart. I replaced all of them with some higher quality ones.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:13 AM   #7
nhramnl

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Daulton View Post
My ACD three speed shifter did the exact same thing once and it ended up being the push in hose connector at the 2-3 solenoid. The sealing ring inside it cracked/blew apart. I replaced all of them with some higher quality ones.

Thanks again to all of you, guys. I think David got me onto something. This past weekend, after disconnecting my harnesses, I for some reason started laying the right-side lap belt across the top of the nylon lines that feed air to the shift solenoids. Before one run, the latch mechanism kinda caught on one of the lines, and I'll bet when I pulled on it a little to free it, I displaced or cracked something. It's really cool how this forum can help a guy solve a problem; the experiences of others stimulate a person's mind.