Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-02-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 674 Times in 122 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Question Why Aren't You Racing?

It has become very evident that car counts are down at all events this year. Whether it be NHRA, IHRA or our own Association down here in the South. Counts are about half of what they were 5 years ago and down by a third from 2 years ago. My question is why? Why are racers choosing to just stay home? What reason would you give as to why you are not racing as much as you used to? What would the Associations have to do to get you to attend more races? I would ask that you answer these questions seriously as I am sure representatives from the Associations will see this. Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 321 Times in 101 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Why Aren't You Racing?

The State of California can't figure out how to get a budget together

Because I work for the State of California and the moron Governator has just reduced my pay to the Federal Minimum Wage of $7.25 per hour....The A/H will not even pay us the California Minimum Wage of $8.00 per hour

Welcome to Public Service...

Bob

PS: I would rather be anywhere but working
Old 07-02-2010, 01:33 AM   #3
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Smile Re: Why Aren't You Racing?

$$$MONEY$$$ and the economy is most likly the primary reason and as time goes on the stocker rules have become more and more lax. One might as well build a so so running Super Stocker if all you want to run are the non heads up style association races. I started 2 projects in the last few years and decided it wasnt worth the money and effort to build a winning National event capable combo. With the new DP's and blown Mustangs HP factors being so far out of line not to mention any other NEW combos coming out what is the point? The investment is a heavy hit if you count the cost of support equipment such as a motor home (even used), inclosed trailer for better security of your car and tools, and a few spare parts not to mention the travel and entry expense. Maybe the thrill just isnt there anymore for the old timers who have been doing this for most of their lives and the younger guys just starting out have a tough time affording a
$70,000+ "stocker" today and understanding the rules as they are. Yes it can be done cheaper but how fast do you want to go and at what level do you want to compete. While a pick up truck would replace a motor home and an open trailer would work instead of an inclosed trailer they are not as comfortable if one wants to have a wife, girl friend, and your kids to be involved and being at a race track for several days not to mention your own comfort level. Most points races require you to be gone from work and home for 5 days or so. Again that means a motor home instead of motel bills. I personally still love drag racing (but dont care for sleeping in a tent at the race track) and the friends you make but it requires a lot of time and money to compete. The sport as we know it has evolved for better or worse. Just my opinion.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:00 AM   #4
W J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Why Aren't You Racing?

Both the almost daily increasing costs of living and the still-shrinking economy have forced me into becoming a sometimes spectator, rather than a frequent competitor...I miss racing, but for me, it's surely the lack of extra $$$ that's keeping me away from the track these days. WJ
W J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:19 AM   #5
tpoh815

Liked 28 Times in 11 Posts

For me the economy has been a wake up call. Its tough to take the gamble as a close div race still will cost me 500.00 Then I realize how hard I worked to earn it and how fast I just spent it. With contingency monies being at an all time low it really is tough to justify the whole deal. My .0002
Old 07-02-2010, 06:31 AM   #6
Robert Simpson

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts

I agree with what everyone said. Plus the fact that schedules (Div 2) are so screwed up you either do all your racing at the beginning of the season or at the end. Not to mention needing to get to some points race on Thurs, sometimes Wed just to get a spot!!? Not getting enough time runs to even justify going, etc, etc. National events that cost to much and take to long to run. Hotels that go up during races etc.. I like the association races good times for a fair price. The time and money are my biggest factor. Not to mention to stay competative "you need" alot of things...High end stuff. If NHRA would consider these things for the sportsman racer I believe that over time they would have more loyalty. Our association (SSSSA) has had a rough year with weather, car counts etc. But if the association remains focused on a long term goal. A place to race, tough competition, fair entry for a good purse. Etc. Then as the economy gets better (that will take a LONG time) we can branch back out again. These are just thoughts to make things better. I will race as I can afford it.

Robert
Robert Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:55 AM   #7
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Why Aren't You Racing?

I am in the auto repo bussiness and i thought for sure with times like they are now i would have job security over a lot of other jobs. Not the case for me as the banks have almost stopped repoing vehs and have started taking any kind of payments from customers rather than repoing and taking to auction and loosing 15 -20 grand on a 35- 40 grand note. The ones we do repo usually are given back to debtor on a fresh note, with even more $$$ owed than before. I figure in about 6 months or so this will have an effect and then the repo bussiness will then again be very good. I have done this for 15 years and have lived a comfortable life(not rich ,but comfy). Right now i am really glad that i have another job with the IHRA as it has helped me in these times. It used to be my racing money,but not for right now. I will be back i hope. Also it is so hot to be racing at this time of year in my area .100 degrees almost every day last week.Lots of people have the money ,but are scared to spend as they do not know how this deal is going to turn out right now.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:19 AM   #8
BBF67

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

It's too expensive, it's too hot in the summer, and I'm too old. The last two are not the sanctioning bodies fault but the money I would have to spend to class race competitively is too far out of my budget. I'll probably swallow my pride and return to bracket racing at my local track.
BBF67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:19 AM   #9
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Talking Re: Why Aren't You Racing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny waters sr View Post
I am in the auto repo bussiness and i thought for sure with times like they are now i would have job security over a lot of other jobs. Not the case for me as the banks have almost stopped repoing vehs and have started taking any kind of payments from customers rather than repoing and taking to auction and loosing 15 -20 grand on a 35- 40 grand note. The ones we do repo usually are given back to debtor on a fresh note, with even more $$$ owed than before. I figure in about 6 months or so this will have an effect and then the repo bussiness will then again be very good. I have done this for 15 years and have lived a comfortable life(not rich ,but comfy). Right now i am really glad that i have another job with the IHRA as it has helped me in these times. It used to be my racing money,but not for right now. I will be back i hope. Also it is so hot to be racing at this time of year in my area .100 degrees almost every day last week.Lots of people have the money ,but are scared to spend as they do not know how this deal is going to turn out right now.
Didnt I see you on TV the other day repoping an old ladys car and she was beating up on the camera crew.......lol.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:19 AM   #10
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 509 Times in 128 Posts

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I have made 3 IHRA doubles this year so 6 races in all. Never been to that many. Plan on attending the double in Crandall in Sept so that will make 8. When we went down to State Capitol in May it cost me a *(&&() fortune. I don't know how you guys do it running races all over the place. Ed
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote