HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 11-12-2020, 09:14 PM   #31
jmantle

Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts
Default Re: Slow Stockers...Strong Divisional Finishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markeracer View Post
A request for the lower class racers mentioned at the start of this thread. Please take a look back at your LODRS racing this year and post some data on how many of your wins were due to the other lane being red, late or too quick. It’s tough to wait more than a couple of seconds or tighten the stripe at 30-50 + mph closing speed.

As Billy noted, there may be an advantage to being one of the slower(et) cars on the sheet.

Thanks in advance.
I went from a 8 second super pro car to a 13 / 14 second stocker. When I ran super pro I quite often was the faster car and could see what was happening much better at the finish line than I can now. Trying to judge the finish line when someone has 50 mph on you is challenging to say the least.

Jim Mantle V/SA 6632
jmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:58 PM   #32
Ellis V Buth

Liked 274 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markeracer View Post
A request for the lower class racers mentioned at the start of this thread. Please take a look back at your LODRS racing this year and post some data on how many of your wins were due to the other lane being red, late or too quick. It’s tough to wait more than a couple of seconds or tighten the stripe at 30-50 + mph closing speed.

As Billy noted, there may be an advantage to being one of the slower(et) cars on the sheet.

Thanks in advance.
I don't have dad's stats in front of me...but he definitely had 1 run in Columbus where the opponent was green but wasn't close to their normal RT. However, on that run...dad was .03x and running dead on so he wasn't going to be an easy target. I believe he had 2 or 3 red lights against him in competition as well. As for breakouts...we did induce a few of those with his car this year as well. If I get a chance to actually do the data I will try to do that.

As for me...I drove a W/SA vehicle all year. I had 0 red lights against me in stock and only a handful of runs all year where I felt the driver in the other lane was "late" or outside of their typical RT range. I definitely didn't get any of the advantages that can happen when opponents have to wait this season.

Last edited by Ellis V Buth; 11-12-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Ellis V Buth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:29 PM   #33
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis V Buth View Post

As for me...I drove a W/SA vehicle all year. I had 0 red lights against me in stock and only a handful of runs all year where I felt the driver in the other lane was "late" or outside of their typical RT range. I definitely didn't get any of the advantages that can happen when opponents have to wait this season.
Not slow enough ;-)
Old 11-12-2020, 10:56 PM   #34
Lyn Smith
VIP Member

Liked 841 Times in 156 Posts

Someone needs to have a Slow Ride Nationals!!!!!!!!!!!Something like 13:85 Index and slower.

Last edited by Lyn Smith; 11-12-2020 at 11:06 PM.
Lyn Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:59 PM   #35
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn Smith View Post
Someone needs to have a Slow Ride Nationals!!!!!!!!!!!Something like 13:85 Index and slower.
Just need an R/SA car and I'm in
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:06 AM   #36
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim H View Post
Slow cars are at a disadvantage until NHRA commits to Tru-start system. (redlight first)
The way I see it, when both racers break out of their dial-in at the top end, the worst breakout is the loser.

The same should apply at the starting line. If both racers redlight then the worst of the 2 should be the loser.

Fair is fair ....at both ends of the track

JMO
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:14 PM   #37
Terry Cain

Liked 224 Times in 103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip THELEGEND Johnson View Post
I have been fortunate enough to have a great car owners in Daren and Veronica Poole-Adams. We started in the Cutlass a few years ago. Daren put me in one of his Copos and I won my first national event last year. We were headed towards a top ten in it until our mishap last year. Fast forward to 2020 we brought the Cutlass back out and did well with it. Ive ran 9.20 to 13.50 F/SB to Q/SA. So to answer your question I really don't see any distinct advantage fast or slow.
Pitted next to Daren at this years Indy NMCA race. First time to meet him and got to enjoy his stories about the COPO's.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:13 PM   #38
joe huestis

Liked 371 Times in 103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4284spd View Post
Just a curious question for the slower stock racers, do you race a slow combo because of financial reasons or do you feel that there is a advantage with them? Serious question.
And do you want to go to a quicker combo if you could?
Financial reasons for sure, however my car is no dime rocket. However, I always raced something “different” for the past 4 plus decades. Ran stick combos up until 1980 then switched to auto combos while raising my family to fend off possible breakage I could not afford . Sold my Monza stocker in ‘14 and decided again on something different to build. After several PMs and phone calls to Dr. Nees decided on a 267-2v combo in an ‘81 Camaro for U/SA. Several friends and acquaintances thought I lost my mind but I was up for the challenge. Was told the Dual Jet carb would be a problem, but since finishing the car in late ‘17 have managed consistent time slips and have gone .72 under the index. My Camaro is considered a “slow” stocker, however for me I enjoy the ride as much as any fast combo I have driven. It’s all about your perspective. For me it is very gratifying taking a combo that would run a 19 second qtr. mile bone stock and manage to turn it into a stocker with beer can diameter pistons knocking on the 13 second time slip door. Also, a shout out to Mr. Bill Bogues for his advice and his knowledge dealing with the 267 combo in his Monte Carlo stocker.
joe huestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:01 PM   #39
Rose Racing

Liked 129 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4284spd View Post
Just a curious question for the slower stock racers, do you race a slow combo because of financial reasons or do you feel that there is a advantage with them? Serious question.
And do you want to go to a quicker combo if you could?
This response coming from a guy building a U/SA car It is a combination of both. I truly can't afford a higher class Stocker and I also know that I can potentially be competitive in U/SA. I know if I build this car using the best components and tricks I can afford that I can qualify near the top of the ladder and use the advantage of a low horsepower slow car on race day to put pressure on quicker class cars.
Rose Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #40
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,680 Times in 852 Posts

Not to diminish Gary’s Phoenix win (woohoo!) but there is just something about Darrick Elam’s Pinto wagon (wearing #63 next year again) that really captures the essence of the slow stocker. No FWD bias, just older slow trumps newer slow for me and extra points for being a wagon. Darrick’s mowing them down last year at the Vegas Divisional (until running into the Sorensen buzzsaw) was very impressive. Double kool would be it in “woody” livery. Not to challenge the “Wong equation” but having a slow stocker on the west coast would be great to me. May have to investigate...
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote