HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Stock/Super Stock Associations > Southern Stock and Super Stock Association

Old 09-20-2009, 07:13 AM   #1
Terrance Smith

Default Suprise for the SSSSA at SGMP

What's up gang, I hope you all have had a fun and productive summer of racing. Just wanted you to know that everything goes according to plan that old red Mustang will be attendance this coming up race; my engine builder and mentor had figured out a few things and has it running a little better so we're going to giver a shot and see if we can rattle some cages. Looking to have some fun with yall up there.

Smitty
Old 09-20-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 685 Times in 131 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Thumbs up Re: Suprise for the SSSSA at SGMP

That's good news Terrance! Seems to me that 'ol Mustang wasn't runnng too bad the last time I saw it. See you there. Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
Terrance Smith

Default Re: Suprise for the SSSSA at SGMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
That's good news Terrance! Seems to me that 'ol Mustang wasn't runnng too bad the last time I saw it. See you there. Jim
It wasn't running as well as we expeced Jim; you on the other hand are flying! That's a nice new ride you got there!
Old 09-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Talking Re: Suprise for the SSSSA at SGMP

I would say "thanks" but I can't take any credit for the way it runs! I love that new car! Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Old 09-28-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
Terrance Smith

Quote:
Jim,

How do you think the Ole' Mustang ran this weekend LOL?

Smitty
Old 09-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Unhappy Re: Suprise for the SSSSA at SGMP

It must have been so fast I couldn't see it! LOL. On a serious note. I am very upset at the damage that John Douglas' car sustained this weekend. Is there an assessment of damage yet? It was a sickening thing to see. Jim
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Old 09-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
Sean Haning

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Sean Haning

Quote:
It must have been so fast I couldn't see it! LOL. On a serious note. I am very upset at the damage that John Douglas' car sustained this weekend. Is there an assessment of damage yet? It was a sickening thing to see. Jim
Who? What? Details please.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
Gary Smith

Liked 51 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Say what?????? T-Struck damaged???
Old 09-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #9
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Exclamation Re: Suprise for the SSSSA at SGMP

Ok, ok, there was no crash or anything. John Douglas and others had been complaining about "bald spots" on the track and causing traction problems. I think his T-Bird only hooked on one pass during the weekend. I was standing behind him when John staged for first round and let out the clutch. I have never seen a car blow the tires off so violently in my entire life! The slicks instantly wadded up and paddle wheeled about 40 feet before John new what happened and got the car stopped. I looked at the starting line where he had staged and there was a bald spot as smooth as polished marble about one foot by one foot right where his left slick was. I took several pictures and spoke with the track staff. Now remember, I, in the past, was the one who has praised the starting line crew for the way they prepped the track. Long story short, they screwed up big time! After talking with them I am convinced none of them had a clue how to deal with a bald spot!

John told me damage at the time, he thought was to the engine, tranny, and rear end. Many thousands of dollars. I feel especially bad because after informing the crew about the poor track conditions, they swept, sprayed and dragged the track and I jokingly told John he could "stop bitching" now. Then goes out and destroys the whole drive train! There was some down time as the Thunder Struck Super Stocker had to be removed from the track with a jack. I am sick! I know John must be livid! Jim
SSSSA Forum Moderator

Last edited by Jim Wahl; 09-28-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
Terrance Smith

Quote:
Ok, ok, there was no crash or anything. John Douglas and others had been complaining about "bald spots" on the track and causing traction problems. I think his T-Bird only hooked on one pass during the weekend. I was standing behind him when John staged for first round and let out the clutch. I have never seen a car blow the tires off so violently in my entire life! The slicks instantly wadded up and paddle wheeled about 40 feet before John new what happened and got the car stopped. I looked at the starting line where he had staged and there was a bald spot as smooth as polished marble about one foot by one foot right where his left slick was. I took several pictures and spoke with the track staff. Now remember, I, in the past, was the one who has praised the starting line crew for the way they prepped the track. Long story short, they screwed up big time! After talking with them I am convinced none of them had a clue how to deal with a bald spot!

John told me damage at the time, he thought was to the engine, tranny, and rear end. Many thousands of dollars. I feel especially bad because after informing the crew about the poor track conditions, they swept, sprayed and dragged the track and I jokingly told John he could "stop bitching" now. Then goes out and destroys the whole drive train! There was some down time as the Thunder Struck Super Stocker had to be removed from the track with a jack. I am sick! I know John must be livid! Jim
Jim,

John works fast but not that fast lol, we talked last night after we got back to Brandon and I asked how are we gonna get the T-Bird out the trailer? He said it will be fun so that's the first order of buisness. Once we get it in the shop we will get the rear end and tranny out and examine the damage. The gear probably was ready to be changed but you still don't want them to break like that. The tranny is not very old so we got our fingers crossed it's not hurt.

I have never saw a Super Stock car react so violently as John's did. On a good track that car will run .30's he backed the rpm down but you see what the end result was. I have always heard guys talk about bald spots but I had never seen anything like that before in my life. Now I know what to look for, I went through the same thing at Bradenton about two months ago. My car isn't the quickest thing in the world but I couldn't get it to hook to save my life, it keep blowing the tires off and skating around in the fron half which is not common for my car. They scraped the track and then didn't put a thing down on it.

I will see if John want's me to post anything about the carnage after we get it out.

Smitty