HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #11
novassdude

Liked 133 Times in 49 Posts
Default Re: Engine Shut Down

All I know is the majority of crashes at our local track were from people trying to neutral their car and getting reverse.

Some of use don't have the option of using a clutch.
novassdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #12
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOval Ralph View Post
If your Oil Pan has correct Baffels it will not do this
As a "hard rule" that statement is incorrect.

Clicking it off is to either keep the oil pressure from dropping to unsafe levels and / or less wear & tear on the rods / wrist pins / bearings.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #13
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOval Ralph View Post
If your Oil Pan has correct Baffels it will not do this
kinda depends on how much oil you run.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #14
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 400 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njk53 View Post
What is the advantages and/or disadvantages of shutting your engine down after you go through the lights on the high end? I know for a plug check is one but is there any other reason beyond that?
I don't compete in stock/super stock but I do compete weekly bracket racing, have for 20 years, logging nearly 5000 passes, running 9.0's every week for the past 2 years and have NEVER clicked it off at the stripe nor would ever yet have seen more than one who did, destroy their race car!

If you've got oil pressure issues on deceleration, fix the problem, whether that be the pan or quanity of oil.

The majority of stock/super stock racers aren't going after the record and if you need to run less oil to be competitive on a heads up race, you don't have enough power.

Last edited by 1320racer; 03-02-2011 at 03:44 PM.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #15
Bill Edgeworth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
kinda depends on how much oil you run.
I think it has to be looked at on an engine by engine basis. Some engines have pans that are much easier to baffle than others and many engines have different sump locations depending on the chassis they fit in which can really change things too. I know there is a huge difference in degree of difficulty in baffling between my Pontiac and my old BB Mopar stuff. Also comparing those two engine families the Mopar in my opinion has far less drain back issues.
Plus what Jeff says x2 I cringe at times when I hear people slowing down their race cars with the engine it can be hard on a lot of parts.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #16
Bill Edgeworth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
I don't compete in stock/super stock but I do compete weekly bracket racing, have for 20 years, logging nearly 5000 passes, running 9.0's every week for the past 2 years and have NEVER clicked it off at the stripe nor would ever yet have seen more than one who did, destroy their race car!

If you've got oil pressure issues on deceleration, fix the problem, whether that be the pan or quanity of oil.

The majority of stock/super stock racers aren't going after the record and if you need to run less oil to be competitive on a heads up race, you don't have enough power.
But were kind of talking about two different things here one is protecting parts the other is driving mistakes. I’m #1 at making driving mistakes but I’ve never thrown a car into reverse at the top end. That’s what reverse lockouts are for.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #17
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:

No offense intended to you and your bracket car but until you build a Stocker you don't know. Stock requires stock OEM oil pan. Baffles only get you so far. Some sumps are in the rear, some are in the front. And there is only so much that will fit in a stock pan. Accusumps take care of the issue in Stock but that is only a recent rule change.
And I hate to tell you but plenty of heads up runs have been won with oil changes.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #18
FINESPLINE

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I would have to believe just putting the car in neutral would be the way to go. Going from hard acceleration to decelleration in gear cannot be doing the rotatatng mass any good. If the concern is about oil control, a neutral coast is a lot better than slowing in gear. Now, if you need the engine compression to help you slow down ,its time to address your braking system. There are enough quality shifters out there to prevent a reverse engagement. As far shutting off the motor after the stripe I guess personal preference or plug check ... A accusump is also an option at a very reasonable price.

Last edited by FINESPLINE; 03-02-2011 at 05:13 PM.
FINESPLINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #19
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:

Kinda full of yourself, aren't you? Why don't you step up and try SS for a while? Might find the water a tad deeper than what your used to.

Isn't there a section for bracket racers? :-)
Old 03-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #20
Pvt Parts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Kinda full of yourself, aren't you? Why don't you step up and try SS for a while? Might find the water a tad deeper than what your used to.

Isn't there a section for bracket racers? :-)

Ed Wright for President !!