HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-22-2009, 04:23 AM   #21
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,792 Times in 571 Posts
Default Re: Schubek Lifters

My problems above mentioned were with the new smiths lifters..... my friend just destroyed his 340 engine last week with the punk coming off and busting his cam with another brand new set of Smiths. These things are expensive junk with a nonexistant warrantee, built by people who could care less about your problems. This has not changed over the years no matter what name is on their business!!! John Irving 741 Stk/SS
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #22
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

They should have never been allowed in the first place. They are WAY outside of the intent of Stock rules.
Back in the day of Greg X and Marty Barrett, can you imagine if you took a stock lifter and machined off the bottom and replaced it with a ceramic puck?
You and your parts would have been bounced out of the barn so fast , you would have been hit in the a** with a broom on the way out.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #23
Bob Gullett
VIP Member

Liked 407 Times in 91 Posts

Last edited by Bob Gullett; 04-23-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Bob Gullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #24
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gullett View Post
Thanks for the number for the schubecks but its amazing how a simple question about a contact number can turn into complete fiasco not even related to my original post.

Bob,

No matter what you post here someone will hijack the thread for their own personal reasons.....postings seem to take on a life of their own.

JimR
Old 11-22-2009, 09:21 PM   #25
Duane Eiskant II

Liked 53 Times in 31 Posts

Most of the problems people are having with the Schubek lifters breaking are the same that the guys who break roller lifters have. NOT ENOUGH SPRING PRESSURE. (everything bounces then breaks)
Old 11-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #26
jdfpam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bob Gullet,
I have his number at my shop. I have been a dealer of the SM lifters since 2007. If you call me at my shop, I can give you his contact info.
Like B&B said, I have had no reported problems with SMITHS Lifters. I have sold over 75 sets since 2007. I have never had a problem getting in touch with Bob. I just talked to him last week when I ordered another set. He said that he was sick for a couple of weeks, maybe that is why he was hard to get in touch with.
Not doubting what GTX John or some other people posted(anything is possible and everyone has made a mistake), but you have to have everything else set up for these lifters for them to work. Also, there were many problems with the original shubecks, but the SM lifters are different.

Jeff Day
jdfpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #27
Casey Miles

Liked 445 Times in 83 Posts
Talking Re: Schubek Lifters

I was at Indy's tear down barn in 2004, this was right after the Pro Stock cars were told no exoctic material allowed in the motors. So I asked the tech director why was exoctic materials were allowed in Stock Eliminator's engines and he quizzed me on what I was talking about. So I told him that about the Schubeck lifters and that they are made of an exoctice material. Also I told him that you can't buy them in any ordinary dealership or auto parts store. Boy did that open up a can of worms with some of the racers in the barn.
Casey Miles
248H
Casey Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #28
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 646 Times in 207 Posts
Cool Re: Schubek Lifters

I knew somebody with a 220 horse 283.He ran 90-100 on the seats, and this thing used to break rocker studs.He did it enough that we wondered what went on here. Valvetrain separation caused it caused by the low spring pressures. I bought a set of Smiths lifters two years ago,and am just getting ready to use them with a steel billet Bullet cam, 7/16" rocker studs,Elgin rockers, and was fixing to set the springs at 200 on the seats,400 over the nose. Floating the valves smacks the base into the cam lobe, and the resultant impact shatters it. They don't seem to like mechanical lifter camshafts,either,and the same thing happens. I don't think there would be a problem in the event of rocker arm or push rod breakage, since the lifter would be up and out of the way in a hurry. Is there a better lifter to use with this steel camshaft,or are Smiths the thing to use?I like the idea of being able to change cams without breaking in a set of lifters each time. Any responses?
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #29
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,032 Times in 270 Posts

I'm not aware of any steel lifter that you can move from camshaft to camshaft without having the lifters refaced and polished. At this point, I'm not really satisfied with the DLC coating as it is applied to lifters, either. NASCAR teams have a nearly unlimited budget, and they still have problems with the coating coming off of their lifters on a somewhat regular basis.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:54 PM   #30
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 676 Times in 260 Posts

Coat the cam and shine the lifters. DLC is abrasive I think it spins the lifter better when the cam is coated. Esp. when more taper is ground on the cam and the lifters are crowned to match.
.02 for free....

Last edited by Adger Smith; 11-23-2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: sp
Adger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote