HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 10-31-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
ranger george

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking stock and super stock racing

Years ago a friend ran ss in the old AHRA. My question is do you face all of the cars in your specific class (such as Q/S) first in a heads up no dial in first one to the finish wins? Then fall in with the other classes and dial in with them in a handicap race? If you happen to be the only car in your class such as(F/S) you would win your class and win a wally for winning your class? I hope I didn't confuse anyone with this rather long question. Thanks to all for the help.
ranger george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
sst1988

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: stock and super stock racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger george View Post
Years ago a friend ran ss in the old AHRA. My question is do you face all of the cars in your specific class (such as Q/S) first in a heads up no dial in first one to the finish wins? Then fall in with the other classes and dial in with them in a handicap race? If you happen to be the only car in your class such as(F/S) you would win your class and win a wally for winning your class? I hope I didn't confuse anyone with this rather long question. Thanks to all for the help.
No you only run against your class in class runoff 's for the winner in your class and the wally, but i like the format that you have disclose run everybody in your class first then ladder you up....cool.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
chris3racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That is how races were run in the 60's early 70". I you were racing H/S, H/Stock, you had a national record to run off of, probably set by Bobby Warren. All cars in H/S run against each other for the class win. After all classes were run then Stock Eliminator is called and the winner of each class runs. The cars were run as they pulled into the staging lane. If you were running against a D/S your national record was probably lower than his therefore, you got a head start.

We did not run off a number selected by any means other that how fast the fast car in the class would run at an event. You went faster than the national record, published in the National Dragster Magazine, he could, on your next run match that et or speed and you were the new national record holder an next race all H/S, in eliminator were put in the system with that et.
chris3racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
Tom keedle

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3racing View Post
That is how races were run in the 60's early 70". I you were racing H/S, H/Stock, you had a national record to run off of, probably set by Bobby Warren. All cars in H/S run against each other for the class win. After all classes were run then Stock Eliminator is called and the winner of each class runs. The cars were run as they pulled into the staging lane. If you were running against a D/S your national record was probably lower than his therefore, you got a head start.

We did not run off a number selected by any means other that how fast the fast car in the class would run at an event. You went faster than the national record, published in the National Dragster Magazine, he could, on your next run match that et or speed and you were the new national record holder an next race all H/S, in eliminator were put in the system with that et.

and what was WRONG with that?
Tom keedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Records at sea level East or West coast tracks, Air density on Saturday night eliminations of -400 ft. THEN try to race on those records at Air Density 2400-3000 feet in the mid west. Not ALL records were set at the same tracks so Some weak non competed classes versus Hot Dog classes where Record Runs were the Goal...
One positive thing was no break out racing, and always was a goal to go FASTER not slow down....
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
Floyd Staggs
VIP Member

Liked 220 Times in 95 Posts

I remember just running your class and maybe getting a trophy and that was it. We didn't have wallys and there was a flagman for a starter. If you wanted to run for money you had to have a street tire and run street elinator for $25.00.
Course that was a long time ago.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

A major flaw in using National Records for handicapping cars was that, after awhile, it became apparent to the people who raced a lot, that if they re-set the record, they were shooting themselves in the foot, as it would chip away at their handicap (dial-in) number, so racers who were aware of this would "protect" their record (not lower it) 'til after awhile, National Records became a joke, because so many of them were "protected," and not nearly as quick as they needed to be.

It was called "sandbagging," and still is....

That's one of the reasons the index system was created.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
JRyan

Liked 104 Times in 28 Posts

Other than CLASS, there was break-out racing Dick. You could not go more than .10 secs under during eliminations. It may have seemed like no break-out racing to some, because not many could even run close to their class records at the time. It was a very advantageous system for me with my '50 Olds in the military in Texas in 1969. I won 17 of 19 races and runner-uped the other two (broke). One amber Pro-tree by the way at Temple Academy Dragway (Little River). Neatest little track around. Do they still run there?

Jerry
JRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

When the eliminators were run off records there was a 1/10 breakout allowed.
Except for the final then it was get to the stripe first.

And BTW there were no quickest loser qualifiers. You won class or you went home.

Last edited by art leong; 11-01-2009 at 07:04 PM.
art leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #10
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: stock and super stock racing

[QUOTE=art leong;

And BTW there were no quickest loser qualifiers. You won class or you went home.[/QUOTE]

Thats when drag racing was real racing......not the over price bracket crap going on today and YES I towed a long distance to places like Gainesville and Bowling Green Ky. along with a few others and lost in the class run offs or a class final and had to watch or head home to improve my performance. I admired the class winners and NHRA did a good job at tear downs back in the day. Not this 1000 foot shut off s$$t thats being done today. Class winners only in the eliminator style of racing would make the AHFS work a lot better and faster.(Blown Fords anyone?). Wont happen though......Its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ from entries. My 2 1/2 cents.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 11-01-2009 at 07:41 PM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote