HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-26-2009, 08:21 AM   #171
mopar68
VIP Member

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
Default Re: Original hemi dart information

Could this be the ex-Castaldo Dart?

If not, whose car is it?

M68

Last edited by mopar68; 10-26-2009 at 08:35 AM.
mopar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:53 AM   #172
mopar68
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post
I spoke with a crew member that wrenched for Castaldo for much of his racing career, Charlie Licata. He confirmed that Castaldo had only 2 Hemi Darts. The 4 spd. that crashed in E Town, & the auto which he purchased while he was still in the hospital recovering from the crash. He never had both cars at the same race at the same time. The Auto car is the car in which he won the SuperStock Nationals at York in 69. This same car was later converted to Modified Production in 71 or 72 & ran with the name Fun City Flyers on the doors.They tryed running it once with a clutchflite but was unsuccesfull with it,so they put a 4 spd. in it.The car was eventually sold to a fellow by the name of Ralph Costello. Licata doesn't know what happened to the car after this. The 4 spd. car had all the useable parts removed from it, & then it sat behind the shop for a while. Eventually it was hauled off & crushed. OUCH!!!!
Paul, You certainly have my attention with the car that your father purchased, especially the part about him selling it to a couple brothers in Mt. Kisco.There is alot of coincidence in this. But, you mentioned that it had regular quarter panel openings on it, & my car still retains it's original quarters. I will have a look at mine to confirm this at the first chance I get, probably tommorrow.

Liteweight
Daryl
I remember years ago seeing an actual photograph taken by a former friend at Raceway Park (circa 1975) of a brown (candy apple red?) 1968 Dodge Dart that ran in D/Gas with Costello Bros. on the doors.

Is this the same guy?

M68
Old 10-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #173
mopar68
VIP Member

Charlie's first Dart...

Charlie's second Dart (1971 photo).

M68

Last edited by mopar68; 10-26-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #174
MattConte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all
I am what you call a "Lurker" and do not post. Been a member for quite a wile, but this thread brought me out. I have never been fortunate enough to own a race car. So I do not post on here. What I am is a very big FAN of Sportsman racers. I am also a model car builder and I use places like this to gather my reference material to build my models as accurate as possible. Something you guys should know about us model builders. We research the heck out of the subject matter we want to build and you find that the model car boards have some of the most knowledgeable race car historians anywhere. We also are collectors of huge magazine collections. Well I just happen to be a very big, long time fan of the SS/AH class cars and the history of the LO-23 and BO-29 cars
Well, with that said. I got on here today and found this post. I got quite excited to find that the car that starter of this thread owns is a car I want to build a model of. Have wanted to for many years. All because of this magazine that "Liteweight" needs to get a hold of. The Dec 89 issue of MOPAR Action. That is your car on the cover. This issue has all of the Photos and stories that were in the Nov. 68 issue of Cars Magazine with the photos that Charlie took when he picked up the car.

I hope I am not out of line here and maybe you all might already know about this magazine. If not. I have seen it many times listed on E-bay.

Liteweight
I would love to get in touch with you at a later time about getting more info on your car. Like I said. I have wanted to do a 1/25th scale model of your car for years, and Revell Model Company is about to make that much easier in their 2010 kit line up with the issue of a 1/25th scale model car kit of a LO-23 factory Hurst built 68 Hemi Dart.

I love this board and especially all of the photos that are post. Great stuff for a guy like me that cannot build the real thing so I build little models of all kinds of Sportsman Drag Cars.
Thanks
Matt
MattConte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #175
mopar68
VIP Member

Welcome, Matt!

"I hope I am not out of line here..."

I don't think so.

"and maybe you all might already know about this magazine."

I bought that issue almost 20 years ago (yikes!) and still have my mint copy.

M68

Last edited by mopar68; 10-26-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:37 PM   #176
John Lang

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Original hemi dart information

Jim Keyes who has a 68 Barracuda, SS/AH , and a 68 Hemi Dart ! He and I talk at least 2 or three times a week, even though I live in Wi, and he lives in Mi.! Yesterday ( Sunday) we were talking about Maple Grove, and I had asked him about his 2 Hemi A body cars as to the history of them !
This might help some of you from the Upstate N.Y. area ! His Barracuda came from a racer in upper NY, It was a 4 sp , car and was sponsered by Ply dealer ! It was called the Mountain Ply, he gave me the persons name , which i have forgotten, but it was an Italian sounding name ! This is the same car Jim still races today .
The Dart he bought was a recovered Dart, which was stolen in the Detroit area, and Jim bought the car from the Sheriff sale ! The Dart had never beem tubbed , so it is now painted like Jim's Barracuda , also like original except for paint !
Hope somebody can figure out who belonged to what ! I'll talk to him later today, maybe get more info ! The name of the Cuda I know started with Mountain , Pretty sure it was Ply.!....... Later John
Old 10-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #177
Bill Rolik

Liked 47 Times in 9 Posts

The Jimmy Keyes car sure sounds like the Centolanza Brothers car, because I believe their sponsor was the Mountain Garage in Highland Falls, NY. It is near West Ponit.

Bill Rolik

1514 SS
Bill Rolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:53 PM   #178
Dennis P Chapman
VIP Member

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts

I thought the Guy that owned mountain garage owned the car. When he died the wife
sold the car not to the centolanze bros.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #179
marfen

Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

Matt, This was a great article that, along with that great little red car of Liteweight's, reintroduced the 68SS cars to the mopar resto crowd, myself included. It is a little confusing in that it features two cars (lil red and Chuck Comella's) and in reality some of the pics in the Hurst parking lot were taken by Jack Thomas when he picked up his car. Jack has shared many incredible pics from his career documenting picking up, prepping and racing his LO23 dart as well as great pics of the Yankee Peddler awb. Jack is a wonderful guy that I always look forward to having a visit with...he had this great idea that he proposed to Dr Z/Chrysler to build a limited race edition of the new upcoming Challenger model for Stock Super Stock competition. Good idea huh!
marfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #180
68hemiss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Great stuff guys!
Where to start - the Wildfire Dart was originally from OH went east and is back in OH. Great pics Bill - I always liked the Faucetta Cuda. John - how are you doing? Jim Keyes Cuda was originally from ND - went to the Carolinas - not sure how but it ended up in the Baltimore area - and that is where the Centolanza's got it - Jim bought it from them. Jim's Dart was a local MI car. I sent him all the info I had on the cars - even the paperwork from when it was originally bought in ND - VIN #'s match. The A/MP or C/Gas Costello dart is Castaldo's 2nd Dart.
Paul, it sounds like you are doing some digging - Does anyone know where Bill Davitt is - I heard that he was running a resturaunt - he was a Mopar racer that would have been around mt Kisco at that time and might know something about the Dart. Tony Saraceni who owned Bill's old Duster told me about the 2-scoop Lido nickname - no real meaning - he said that that is when Rasin Bran cereal had the "2-scoops of Raisins in Kellogs Rasin Bran"ad campaign refering two the 2- scoops on the Dart and Lido was just an Italian nickname. He verified that he raced with the guy and they went to E-town and that the car was a Hemi but he said that the car was not fast and the guy wasn't serious about racing. I have Tony's phone number if you want it. I spoke with Richie Mattoni (and his brother) I also have his phone number. Ed Smith - the guy who I think owned the Dart lived at 37 Ward Ave - can't get ahold of him. Last I could find the Chief of Police in Mt Kisco lived there until he retired?? E-mail me and I can get you some more info if you feel like digging - you are closer than me! lol!
Mark J
68hemiss is offline   Reply With Quote