HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Top Sportsman and Top Dragster

Old 03-08-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
Bigchief588

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Out of doors, into dragster

I'm new to the site, it's great to hear from so many fellow racers with ideas and thoughts. I recently left a door car and obtained an S&W dragster. It's a"98 230 inch, rumor has it, it belonged to Peter Biondo, found it in PA., anyway, the cert tag on it says it was good to 09 for 6.00 and slower. I plan to run the motor from the door car, a 588 Big Chief which will be toned down a bit till I get a feel for the car. My question is they tell me there are new rules as to bars that have to be installed for a 6.00 cert. does anyone have any info on this, also where or who can certify this car close to Long Island. Thanks for the info.
Bigchief588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Out of doors, into dragster

Call your local NHRA div office (http://www.nhradiv1.com/) and talk to them. They're almost all some of the nicest folks (at least those in Div 6 and 7 are ), and they're happy to answer questions like this.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Big chief
The spec you looking for is NHRA/SFI Spec 2.5C you can contact the SFI foundation @ :
SFI Foundation, Inc.
15708 Pomerado Road, Suite N208
Poway, CA 92064
USA
Phone 858-451-8868 Fax 858-451-9268
Email sfi@sfifoundation.com
They will sell you a copy of the spec for $35.
Mine is a S&W kit car that I purchased in 99 and it meets this spec.
Check the blue & silver tag on your chassis it should indicate this spec also.
Hope this helps!

Last edited by Bill Baer; 03-12-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Bill Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #4
Bigchief588

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Bill, dragsters a new car for me, some rules and requirments are different than the door car, trying to iron it all out, I'm sure i'll have some other questions, hope we can keep in touch, Thanks again
Old 03-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigchief588 View Post
Thanks for the info Bill, dragsters a new car for me, some rules and requirments are different than the door car, trying to iron it all out, I'm sure i'll have some other questions, hope we can keep in touch, Thanks again
You bet any time! You may or may not know this but The one big difference between door car an dragsters is you need a bounce brace or chassis stabilizer or you can break the chassis before you ever get to the race track.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
Bigchief588

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bill, you mean a pillow for the trailer? I noticed trouble just loading the car, luckily it had no motor and I had plenty of help to lift the front end and walk it in.I was thinking of the race ramp set-up or if you have any suggestions? It's going to be different, but it should be great. Playing with fuel pump set-up, the fellow before me used a belt drive pump, I have a dry sump set-up so there is already to much stuff in the front. S&W makes a cool bracket to mount a Barry Grant style pump right to the rail, than seat belts and a new cell, had wrap around style belts, they're outdated, was thinking of mounting tabs for bolt in, not sure yet.I really appreciate any info, it really helps, thanks again
Old 03-15-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Bill, you mean a pillow for the trailer? I noticed trouble just loading the car, luckily it had no motor and I had plenty of help to lift the front end and walk it in.I was thinking of the race ramp set-up or if you have any suggestions? It's going to be different, but it should be great. Playing with fuel pump set-up, the fellow before me used a belt drive pump, I have a dry sump set-up so there is already to much stuff in the front. S&W makes a cool bracket to mount a Barry Grant style pump right to the rail, than seat belts and a new cell, had wrap around style belts, they're outdated, was thinking of mounting tabs for bolt in, not sure yet.I really appreciate any info, it really helps, thanks again
I'm not Bill, but maybe I can help...

You need to travel with chassis stabilizer. There are several, but you can check out http://chassisstabilizer.com/products.html.

As for the getting in and out part, many dragster people end up disconnecting the trailer and tilting it up to get the car out without scraping. Some go with longer ramps, and that can help. I have the Pit Pat Ultra Ramps (5' long) because they can slide in and out to handle the car, and the golf cart, etc. But I still have to tilt the trailer some times.

As for belts, we don't have tab mounted belts, we go around the frame tubes.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #8
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
No, I was talking about a chassis stabilizer like Chris mentioned. As the trailer goes down the road the chassis will flex with every bump in the road and eventually if you don't prevent it from doing so it will crack somewhere.

I have a 4'extension on my ramp door but I still had to jack up the trailer so I recently fabricated a dolly to pick up the front of the chassis and that helped considerably.

The Barry Grant pump will work just make sure that both the gound wire and the power wire are large enough, that you have a good ground and drive it through a large enough relay.

I like Chris .also use wrap arround style belts if you think about it they are actually stronger than bolt in belts with tabs. I currently use Hooker Custom Harness for my belts (because mine are a little unusual) I would suggest that you contact them. Also I find the cam lock belts easier to put on in the car than the lever/latch type.

Last edited by Bill Baer; 03-17-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Bill Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #9
Bigchief588

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys, to me experience is the greatest knowledge and your help is much appreciated. Look foward to future discussions, thanks again
Old 03-17-2010, 11:04 PM   #10
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Baer View Post
I have a 4'extension on my ramp door but I still had to jack up the trailer so I recently fabricated a dolly to pick up the front of the chassis and that helped considerably.
Bill, can you give me info/photos/ideas on the dolly? We're going to load in two cars and would love to fab one up to move the fronts around.

Thanks in advance.