Old 08-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #41
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts
Default Re: Indy Class ...Enhanced !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotten View Post
I agree about the traffic jam.
Now that the days of pouring water are long gone I think it would make things a lot smoother if we could use our chillers in the staging lanes.
No golf carts in the lanes the chillers have to run on there own battery or the car battery and everyone could just go to there classes lane and prepare there.
The last time I looked, the rulebook said that chillers had to stay in the competitors pit area.
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:33 PM   #42
Cotten

Liked 485 Times in 58 Posts

That is in the rules about chillers in pits only.

But if you showed up to back of staging lanes last year without one you felt foolish.

I'm hoping there is a little tolerance because some people are pitted right there at back of the lanes and some are much further away... and it is Indy.
Cotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #43
GUMP
VIP Member

Quote:
That is in the rules about chillers in pits only.

But if you showed up to back of staging lanes last year without one you felt foolish.

I'm hoping there is a little tolerance because some people are pitted right there at back of the lanes and some are much further away... and it is Indy.
If the NHRA is going to ignore the rulebook for Indy, they should post it on their site in advance.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:44 PM   #44
Cotten

I knew that was coming lol

Like I tried to say I think there have been some allowances concerning cooling at Indy for reasons I've already stated.

Believe me if you bring a fast car to Indy you have more of chance of proving it's legal than probably all the other events combined. It's not a conspiracy it's a judgment to try to be fair.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:26 AM   #45
GUMP
VIP Member

Unhappy Re: Indy Class ...Enhanced !

Quote:
Like I tried to say I think there have been some allowances concerning cooling at Indy for reasons I've already stated.
My issue is that these "allowances" are not in the rules.

Quote:
Believe me if you bring a fast car to Indy you have more of chance of proving it's legal than probably all the other events combined.
Which is why I feel that the rulebook should be sacred.

Quote:
It's not a conspiracy it's a judgment to try to be fair.
How can it be fair to allow racers to defy the rules at the expense of the guy in the other lane that is following the rules? What if the tech guys running the staging allowed a breach for one competitor but enforced a rule that they had misinterpreted for the other racer?
Old 08-16-2018, 09:54 AM   #46
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
My issue is that these "allowances" are not in the rules.

Which is why I feel that the rulebook should be sacred.

How can it be fair to allow racers to defy the rules at the expense of the guy in the other lane that is following the rules? What if the tech guys running the staging allowed a breach for one competitor but enforced a rule that they had misinterpreted for the other racer?
Nice to see that some folks have a new found appreciation for fairness. Very refreshing.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:34 AM   #47
GUMP
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Noland View Post
Nice to see that some folks have a new found appreciation for fairness. Very refreshing.
Bruce, you are truly one of God's special people.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:40 AM   #48
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
Bruce, you are truly one of God's special people.
Oh no, not really. I'm just delighted to see that you do understand the concept of fairness after all.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:33 PM   #49
Cotten

Mr Gump
I respectfully think you are taking the chiller issue to far plus we are boh guilty of hi jacking this thread

I'm sorry I don't know who you are so I am not being condescending when I explain what actually happens at Indy.

If a racer is pitted a long way out he takes his chiller and his car to a friends pit spot who is closer and chills there. Then it starts clogging up as racers are on road in front of some other categories pit spot .

Nhra does not have the manpower or
I'm sure the inclination to verify whether racers are actually in there spot or not so it has evolved into people chilling in front of all the spots from back of staging lanes.

My post was that in the spirit of speeding things up( the original theme of this thread)
we should allow chilling in the staging lanes.

It really doesn't matter to me that much. I'll still chill in my auxiliary pit spot.

Great discussion. I'll give you the last word, I'm out.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:12 PM   #50
GUMP
VIP Member

Quote:
Mr Gump
I respectfully think you are taking the chiller issue to far plus we are boh guilty of hi jacking this thread

I'm sorry I don't know who you are so I am not being condescending when I explain what actually happens at Indy.

If a racer is pitted a long way out he takes his chiller and his car to a friends pit spot who is closer and chills there. Then it starts clogging up as racers are on road in front of some other categories pit spot .

Nhra does not have the manpower or
I'm sure the inclination to verify whether racers are actually in there spot or not so it has evolved into people chilling in front of all the spots from back of staging lanes.

My post was that in the spirit of speeding things up( the original theme of this thread)
we should allow chilling in the staging lanes.

It really doesn't matter to me that much. I'll still chill in my auxiliary pit spot.

Great discussion. I'll give you the last word, I'm out.
Hi,

I respectfully disagree. I have had a personal experience with this, but will add no more on open forum as you can't fix the past. I feel strongly that the rules should apply to all. My wife is pushing me hard to bring a chiller to the end of the lanes at Indy. My answer is always the same. Just because a lot of guys are doing it doesn't change the rules. Maybe I will ask the NHRA for clarification.

Gump is a nickname that I got while racing my Firebird in the nineties. My real name is Daren Poole-Adams. I am an avid fan of the new cars. I also pushed very hard for the COPO to get built. I have supported the program from day one and will continue to do so as long as I am having fun.

It is nothing new that Bruce hates the new cars. My stance has always been that they fit the rules as written.

People who have driven my COPO Camaros in NHRA competition over the last few years are Brenda Grubbs, Rodger Johnson, Robin Lawrence, AJ Currie, Emily Volkman, Larry Morgan, Chip Johnson, Steve Foley, and Jeff Warren.

Peace,

Daren