Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-09-2008, 08:43 AM   #1
TOM KASCH
VIP Member

Liked 241 Times in 100 Posts
Default 69 z-28 camaro ?

I meet a guy yesterday who bought a 69 z with a flat hood & 1 4 barrel ,
I thought all 69 z's had the ram air hood and a cross ram intake....
how many came with a flat hood and 1 carb ?
TOM KASCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,578 Times in 322 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Talking Re: 69 z-28 camaro ?

Tom -- All Z-28's came with 1 carb in '69 -- any that had crossram dual carbs came in the trunk or across the parts counter . As for the flat hoods I can't tell you how many they made but almost all had cowl induction as standard -- I had a new 69 Z Rally Sport that had a flat hood from the factory that I soon changed . I was going to post a picture but I 'm not allowed attachments on this site for some reason .
Old 04-09-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
VIZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 69 z-28 camaro ?

Hi Tom,

I bought a 69 Z-28 from the original owner in 1974 that had been originally built with the flat hood and a single carb. It was in excellent shape with 21,000 miles on it. I paid a whopping $1,200.00 for it. It had few options EXCEPT for the factory 4 wheel disc brakes.........I sure wish I had that one back.

John Visner
VIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
Brian Oakes

Liked 398 Times in 110 Posts

Hey Tom

My Super Stocker is a Factory Z/28,it came with a flat hood, i was told before June they all had flat hoods and Jack is right, cross-rams in the trunk PS Congrads Jack on your record and good looking ride
Brian
Brian Oakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
Travis Miller

Liked 275 Times in 25 Posts

As a guy who ran the streets in the mid to late 60's, I can say I never saw a cowl hood on a new street driven 69 Camaro back then. The only ones I saw were on cars on the dragstrip. The cowl hood option had to be checked on the order sheet when the car was ordered at the dealer. Of course those with cars raced out of dealerships knew what to order.

Today at car shows and rod runs you see a lot 69 Camaros with cowl hoods but very few have the flapper set up in the back of the hood. Just start looking for the flappers and you will be able to tell which ones might be an original cowl induction car. The thing is, all the parts to make a cowl induction 69 Camaro are readily available from the restoration industry.

PS...1969 Camaros in Stock and S/S that are allowed the cowl hood do have to have the flapper per the 2008 NHRA rulebook page 144 and page 153.

Travis

(Disclaimer: Opinions expressed by me on this forum are exactly that, my opinions.)
Travis Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #6
KEN BUGAJ

Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Smile Re: 69 z-28 camaro ?

When I bought my NEW 1969 Z-28 for $4100.00
It had the cowl hood and a super nice AM radio...
KEN BUGAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
63corvette

Liked 281 Times in 88 Posts

From working at a Chevy dealership part time in the late 60's I can say the flat hood was standard and the other hoods were optional at extra cost. The earlier post that the dual carb option was only available across the parts counter is correct. No Z-28 came from the factory with a dual carb setup. They were available from the parts counter and were sometimes sold with the setup in the trunk as they went out the door. Installing the dual carb setup also voided the factory warranty as per a bulletin from GM that came with the setups. One of the mechanics in the shop at the dealership I was at actually bought the setup and installed it at the dealership and would swap it back if he needed warranty work. A GM warranty person would actually show up at the dealership usually every week or so and sign off on warranty work done. He did not really like the muscle cars and did not like to sign off on the warranty work on any of the muscle cars.
Being old now does seem quite so bad when you realize you lived through some nice history with all the muscle cars. We will never see them again in the same style.
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #8
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 700 Times in 204 Posts

I've been doing a lot of work on several ' 69 Z's lately for one of my dealership customers. .....I just finished on a flat hood car that was a fully documented as such, It sure is strange nowdays seeing one with the flat hood. ......Travis, you're right about being able to purchace all the flapper parts now, but you can easily tell the difference between the original and the aftermarket parts, there is no comparison.....Tom
Old 04-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #9
bob gonier

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ACTUALLY GUYS............ It was a production date issue. The early production cars had the flat hoods and the cowl induction hood came out later into the model year. SO....... ALL early production cars came from the factory with a flat hood and ALL cars built after a certain date got the cowl hood. It was standard equipment on all the later built Z/28's and ALL the Pace Cars and COPO Camaro's. Those the facts............

Did you also know early production Z/28's came with the shorter '68 spoiler too......As an option of course......

bob
bob gonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:58 PM   #10
Z28-69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE=bob gonier;65333]ACTUALLY GUYS............ It was a production date issue. The early production cars had the flat hoods and the cowl induction hood came out later into the model year. SO....... ALL early production cars came from the factory with a flat hood and ALL cars built after a certain date got the cowl hood. It was standard equipment on all the later built Z/28's and ALL the Pace Cars and COPO Camaro's. Those the facts............

Did you also know early production Z/28's came with the shorter '68 spoiler too......As an option of course......

From what I'm told, you are correct. Also most of the ones that were built in Norwood were flat hood. Mine was a flat hood that didn't stay flat for long. However I still have the flat one laying around. I am lucky that my Dad is a pack rat. I have almost all the orriginal parts in boxes, and car has mostly drag strip milage.
Z28-69 is offline   Reply With Quote