HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-13-2019, 12:03 PM   #1

Liked 529 Times in 116 Posts
Default Continuing the quota discussion

The quota discussion has been going on almost since NHRA implemented them. I understand space considerations, expense considerations, noise issues, etc. Why don’t we try and come up with some more ideas other than raise the quotas that NHRA might consider. In thinking about it, many of the National Event tracks have a large area available on the spectator side of the track. At the limited number of NASCAR races I have attended all of the venders, T-shirt and sovenier sales, etc have been located somewhere other than the pit area. Doesn’t seem to affect the traffic or sales of their items. What if at the tracks that could accommodate all of these things on the spectator side of the track moved manufacturers midway and the other vendors to that side of the track freeing up a large amount of pit space. Iknow you would still need the food and drink vendors on the pit side but I don’t see much downside to this. What do you think? Mike McMahan 2543 H/SA
4543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:56 PM   #2
Tony Fagnilli

Liked 196 Times in 42 Posts
Default Re: Continuing the quota discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4543 View Post
The quota discussion has been going on almost since NHRA implemented them. I understand space considerations, expense considerations, noise issues, etc. Why don’t we try and come up with some more ideas other than raise the quotas that NHRA might consider. In thinking about it, many of the National Event tracks have a large area available on the spectator side of the track. At the limited number of NASCAR races I have attended all of the venders, T-shirt and sovenier sales, etc have been located somewhere other than the pit area. Doesn’t seem to affect the traffic or sales of their items. What if at the tracks that could accommodate all of these things on the spectator side of the track moved manufacturers midway and the other vendors to that side of the track freeing up a large amount of pit space. Iknow you would still need the food and drink vendors on the pit side but I don’t see much downside to this. What do you think? Mike McMahan 2543 H/SA

You say that you understand the space, expense and noise issues. The one thing that you didn't mention, and is the most important if not the only reason the nhra won't raise the quotas, is time. If they wanted to raise quotas, they'd have to find more time in a day, or add another day to the events. TIME, is the problem.
Tony Fagnilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #3

I left time out on purpose. Tony. Wanted other people to bring up other concerns. Started this thread looking for positive ideas on ways to improve the situation. I hope everyone who comments on this thread with a problem will propose a solution to go along with it. I have not looked but with time being a legitimate concern were the quotas increased at the races where Pro Stock is not being contested. Seems like we should pick up the time for four qualifying sessions and four rounds of eliminations and a considerable amount of pit space. Mike McMahan. 2543 H/SA
Liked
Old 01-13-2019, 03:09 PM   #4
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

The problem is MONEY. The pros and TV bring in the money and we cost nhra time and money, even though they are still a not for profit and need us to help keep that status.

Now in keeping with the nhra's desire for money, each Sportsman entry should be viewed as a commodity that it sells to a captive membership. One way to influence nhra's thinking may be to set all the quotas at 64 for national events save Indy. Then once the quotas are full nhra could add dollars to the entry fees. Lets say a race fills at 7 grade points. The value of the nhra entry commodity would increase for racers who want to enter with 6 grade points. Add $100.00 per grade point until a maximum of 90 entries have been sold for each category. In short, it falls on the racer. How damn bad do you want to race? It may cost a racer almost $700.00 if he/she has 3 grade points and the race is still open at 3 grade points. Like I said, how bad do you want to race? This way nhra is still living up to it's charter and the rest is on the racers, as far as entries are concerned. And you still have to park in the boonies!
Old 01-13-2019, 03:39 PM   #5
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 937 Times in 258 Posts

Considering how much entering a NHRA National event costs the Sportsman racers, and the meager payouts, I find it hard to believe that the Sportsman racers are anything but a cash cow for NHRA. And that cash cow seems to not mind paying a lot of money to pit 1/2 mile away from the staging lanes, spend most of the 3 or 4 days waiting to make a pass, and if they do get a win, receive less $$$ than they would have 10 or 20 years ago.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #6
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

And so it goes..
Gainesville took 7 gp's this year . Next year it will be 8.
I hate to give them any credit for doing anything , but it sure seems like they're doing something right.
More Div. participants = raised rates to the hosting track.

Meanwhile, some racers don't seem to have a problem with the ever increasing g.p. requirements.
As they say.."only the strong survive" .

They also say:
Old 01-13-2019, 04:45 PM   #7
Tony Fagnilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
Considering how much entering a NHRA National event costs the Sportsman racers, and the meager payouts, I find it hard to believe that the Sportsman racers are anything but a cash cow for NHRA. And that cash cow seems to not mind paying a lot of money to pit 1/2 mile away from the staging lanes, spend most of the 3 or 4 days waiting to make a pass, and if they do get a win, receive less $$$ than they would have 10 or 20 years ago.

Rory, I'm one of those guys. In '03 I won the World Nationals at Nowalk and I got 1500.00 from IHRA. In '14 I was lucky enough to win the Bristol National event. NHRA payed me 1200.00. LOL. But, I don't do it for the money, never have and never will. I race because that's what I do for fun. It's a hobby for me (and most of us, I'm sure). Because it's what I love to do. If the NHRA said, no more payouts, I'd still do it.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:58 PM   #8
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Fagnilli View Post
Rory, I'm one of those guys. In '03 I won the World Nationals at Nowalk and I got 1500.00 from IHRA. In '14 I was lucky enough to win the Bristol National event. NHRA payed me 1200.00. LOL. But, I don't do it for the money, never have and never will. I race because that's what I do for fun. It's a hobby for me (and most of us, I'm sure). Because it's what I love to do. If the NHRA said, no more payouts, I'd still do it.
Tony great post, I feel the same way the little check is just a bonus. I'm just glad and thankful that I can afford to do this for the fun of it and the people I've been able to meet along the way.
Mike unfortunately I don't think there's much that we can do to change the current format because for 1: Its working great for them. As long as we continue to enter these Nationals the way we do they have no reason to change. They have it set to a point where they think it's most economical for them as far as running a national event and it helps sell the division format by making it important that we as racers attend.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:02 PM   #9
Tony Fagnilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by hr9121 View Post
tony great post, i feel the same way the little check is just a bonus. I'm just glad and thankful that i can afford to do this for the fun of it and the people i've been able to meet along the way.
Mike unfortunately i don't think there's much that we can do to change the current format because for 1: Its working great for them. As long as we continue to enter these nationals the way we do they have no reason to change. They have it set to a point where they think it's most economical for them as far as running a national event and it helps sell the division format by making it important that we as racers attend.

amen
Old 01-13-2019, 05:46 PM   #10

Guys, This doesn’t affect me in the least. I’ve got 11 grade points. I’m thinking about all of the other racers who have not been able to race as much for whatever reason whether it’s family commitments, work or whatever. I want to find a way to keep these people enthused about our sport. I would like to see min 64 car fields to eliminate some of the bye runs. M8e McMahan 2543 H/SA
Liked