Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 01-04-2019, 02:30 PM   #11
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts
Default Re: Winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gantz View Post
You can get wireless winch remote conversions. I have one somewhere that I never used.
I imagine there are new winches that come with a wireless remote.
That remote wire is always getting in the way and/or tangled. Usually when it's dark and/or raining.
I'd "overbuy" when it comes to capacity. If that thing let's go with no driver...
The wireless conversions run around $70. As to the winch upgrade, yes, that's on my maybe list. An ATV winch works, but nearly wrecking my car from a cable snap was spooky. We are talking $400 to load cars with $10,000 engines. In the case of vintage S/SS, unreplaceable bodies.
Liked
Old 01-04-2019, 06:58 PM   #12
Tom keedle

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSale View Post
The wireless conversions run around $70. As to the winch upgrade, yes, that's on my maybe list. An ATV winch works, but nearly wrecking my car from a cable snap was spooky. We are talking $400 to load cars with $10,000 engines. In the case of vintage S/SS, unreplaceable bodies.

superwinch remotes are considerably more than 70 bucks....wish I would have known that before I bought a superwinch
Old 01-04-2019, 07:05 PM   #13
Sean Marconette

Liked 165 Times in 60 Posts

Superwinch S5500 and a wireless remote. My current winch has the synthetic rope and I am glad I went that route.

Last edited by Sean Marconette; 01-05-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:46 PM   #14
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,582 Times in 1,279 Posts

Superwinch S4000 for me with plug in remote....No Harbor Freight junk allowed in my trailer...
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-04-2019, 11:23 PM   #15
b.guggenmos

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Bought one of these during Holley Days for my new trailer. $199.00 free shipping then. I wanted a poly rope and wireless remote. I saw the link to the sale on Bang Shift as a new item for Holley. I have no report on it as I have not opened the box. I am sure it is lesser quality than a Superwinch? https://www.holley.com/products/off-.../parts/4510AOR
b.guggenmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:22 AM   #16
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 937 Times in 258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Marconette View Post
Superwinch S5000 and a wireless remote. My current winch has the synthetic rope and I am glad I went that route.
Sean,how do you like the synthetic rope? How well does it evenly wrap around the spool? For whatever reason, the person who bought my trailer new, had an overkill 9500 pound Warn winch installed under the floor, and according to the Warn website, that winch comes with over 100 feet of rather stout cable. I have never needed to unwind more than 20-25 feet, so I am considering either cutting off much of the excess cable, to allow the cable to lay lower on the spool, or maybe change to a length of synthetic rope. My only concern with the synthetic rope, is that since my winch is mounted under the floor, the line comes up thru the floor, and runs over a roller. I wonder how the rope would hold up running over that roller. Also, since the winch is mounted under the floor (aluminum checker plate material) does anybody know if a wireless remote control would work OK with the winch buried under a metal floor? Like others have said, the cable for the winch controller is too short to reach the car , so winching the car into the trailer by myself usually requires having to stop a couple of times to make steering adjustments, until the car is 1/2 way into the trailer. I don`t really want to cut into the remote harness to lengthen the wires.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:59 AM   #17
Sean Marconette

Liked 165 Times in 60 Posts

Hi Rory,

I would not go back to cable, or a wired controller. The rope being more pliable than cable does not bunch up on one end of the spool. With the synthetic rope it has about a 5-10 ft outer sheath to protect the rope. The sheath is just loose over the rope, so you can place it wherever. I keep it close to the hook and place a rug down over the rear door opening. This keeps the rope from rubbing on the trailer floor and rear door when getting the car in or out of the trailer.

The wireless controller is merely an external relay box that plugs into the wired remote. The relay box has a manual toggle switch and power switch. You can manually operate the winch with the toggle, or use the remote FOB. The system also has a wired antennae, to the relay box. I have the relay box mounted at the front of the trailer above my cabinet counter top, and the antennae mounted on the ceiling. The system does not have a range greater than 40 ft but works well while in range. You could install the relay box wherever you want by extending the cable that plugs into the wired remote.

As to the rope being pulled across the roller at a 90 deg angle, the sheath would protect it if long enough. They make a nylon or aluminum plate for the fairlead as well.

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:18 PM   #18
Randy Guest

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

Thanks for the replies
Randy Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:28 PM   #19
L79racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bought this wireless remote off amazon to use with my superwinch LT4000.
works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
L79racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:44 PM   #20
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by L79racer View Post
Bought this wireless remote off amazon to use with my superwinch LT4000.
works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This one is listed as not available, but there are several other universal wireless winch remotes on Amazon of around $15-30. The Superwinch one I saw was $300 something unless it was a misprint.

Note to tilt users: In reading up on mounting winches on tilt trailers I came across an interesting work around for the weight that needs to be offset when it's mounted on the deck.

Found it on Ford460
"My buddy has a similar setup, and I'll try to explain the best I can. The winch is mounted to the front A frame just behind the jack. The cable feeds under the immoveable front portion of the deck. From there it goes to a pulley mounted underneath the tilt section, very near to the pivot point. At that pulley the cable turns around towards the front of the trailer. There is another pulley on the front of the tilting section. The cable now goes around that pulley and up onto the deck, where you would use it to drag stuff. The pulley's have tabs that keep the cable from coming off, and it runs in a channel from the winch to the first pulley. It sounds more complicated than it is, and it works great. Hope that helped."

Last edited by FireSale; 01-06-2019 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Found the post I wanted to quote.
FireSale is offline   Reply With Quote