HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-30-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
rod

Location: Kingman, NW AZ. in the middle of the longest stretch of Route 66
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Default ST-10 4 speed ?

RE; cluster gear. does the gear move [whatever the clearance allows] to the front or the rear under power?
in other words, does the main drive push the cluster to the rear or does the 1st speed gear push the cluster forward?
thanks Rod in AZ
rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:10 PM   #2
jmantle

Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts
Default Re: ST-10 4 speed ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod View Post
RE; cluster gear. does the gear move [whatever the clearance allows] to the front or the rear under power?
in other words, does the main drive push the cluster to the rear or does the 1st speed gear push the cluster forward?
thanks Rod in AZ
The helix angles on the 2 3 4 gears is different to that of the input gears. The idea of the different angles is to cancel any thrust load on the cluster.

Jim Mantle V/SA 6632
jmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:14 PM   #3
jmantle

Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmantle View Post
The helix angles on the 2 3 4 gears is different to that of the input gears. The idea of the different angles is to cancel any thrust load on the cluster.

Jim Mantle V/SA 6632
That should have said 1st 2nd 3rd gear, not 2 3 4.

Jim Mantle
jmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 654 Times in 254 Posts

When in gear under a load the cluster would push back 1st,2cd,3rd gears. When these gears have all the end play removed then they would want to push cluster forward and neutralize cluster ( lack of a better term). 1st gear on Muncie's would be driven back with their excessive play and have less tooth contact and break the gear, plus other factors in breaking 1st gear. We would shim cluster all the way back in case and then put a shim behind 1st gear to keep it forward and tight as much as possible yet let oil lube inside of 1st to prevent seizing on main shaft. Seized 1 up once and had to drive over 20 miles home in 1st with 4.10 gears. Made my date get home late and her dad was not happy.

Last edited by Jeff Stout; 06-01-2019 at 11:57 AM. Reason: more
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:24 PM   #5
rod

Location: Kingman, NW AZ. in the middle of the longest stretch of Route 66
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

Jeff, I love funny car stories. thanks for the refresh. been a while since I was inside my ST-10. when I raced my 265, I didnt worry about the three 1/2 missing teeth. now with a good 327, I need to replace the cluster. 2.64 low ST-10s are the worst to put back together. the main drive gear is to big to go in from the front. and it wont go over the cluster, when it is installed. its an all at once deal. I have done it before, and I can [and will] do it again.
one time I was going to grind part of the 1st gear sleeve and hub off and mover the 1st speed gear forward. but the 1 st speed gear then ran into the reverse gear, which would have to be ground down, a lot. for .090 more engagement, it just didnt look to be worth it. maybe with a big motor and really high RPM leave, then yes. I dont do that anymore!
thanks for the reply.
Rod in AZ
rod is offline   Reply With Quote