HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-10-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts
Default 78-82 malibu wagon transmission options

Regarding the 78-82 Chevy Malibu station wagons WITH a V-8 engine what transmissions STICK/AUTO were available in those cars ????? Or what trans goes with what engine (like a 305 with a 4 speed or a 350 with auto only) you get the idea??? also if you were to use a fuel cell and eliminate the stock tank where do you mount it?? can you put it in the spare tire wheel well and have that considered isolated from the passanger compartment per NHRA'S rules??? thanx in advance for your replies--Comp 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:34 PM   #2
Dave Goob Cook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 78-82 malibu wagon transmission options

Unless someone here has researched it, you might want to look at Maliburacing.com in the forums for the answer to the transmission options...I swear someone there said they had a 4-speed wagon, but don't hold me to that statement.
I know you could find them with TH-200's, TH-200C's, TH-350's, and some 4-speeds (Saginaw) in passenger cars for sure.......
My '79 coupe, 267 engine, came with a TH-350.

Sorry I can't help more.

On the fuel cell issue, as long as the cell is enclosed in with the proper materials, and isolated from the driver compartment (minimum .032" aluminum / .024" steel) you could stuff it in the spare tire well okay.
Not having a wagon, I'm guessing that the spare tire well is under the rear floor, with the wheel flat?

Last edited by Dave Goob Cook; 11-10-2007 at 12:40 PM.
Dave Goob Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

Malibu wagons:
'78 was 305 2-bbl only, but was available stick and auto. 350 can be raced with auto or stick. Bobby Black raced a stick in J/S out of the Indianapolis area years ago.
'79 305 and 350 w/ stick or auto.
'81 305 w/stick or auto.
'82 & '83 305 w/ auto only.
Dwight Southerland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:16 PM   #4
FED 387
VIP Member

Dwight if I am reading this correctly NHRA gives a factor for stock in the 82 & 83 wagon for a 305 manual----if that is correct what is the trans 3 -4 -5 speeds ???? or none of them --actually 80-83 lists manual trans for all the years what is the correct trans to use then???
Old 11-11-2007, 10:08 AM   #5
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

A manual factor is listed for '83, not '82. However, this is due to inconsistencies in the class guide. They also list an automatic factor for '65, '66 and '67 396 375 hp combinations and these were never produced and you cannot race them. The indicator of the available combinations on the '82 & '83 305s is that the blueprint specs list an automatic carb and that is all. If Chevrolet really did produce the cars with a stick, it would have been a 3-speed or 4-speed since the 5-speed was only ever available in the F-body cars. It will be up to you to provide the evidence and convice NHRA to accept it.
Dwight Southerland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
FED 387
VIP Member

Thumbs up Re: 78-82 malibu wagon transmission options

Thanx for your reply kinda what I was thinking but hearing it from some one more knowledgeable on the subject clears my thoughts on the subject---Once again thanx for your reply now off to the drawing board to see what we might do--Comp 387
Old 11-13-2007, 01:19 PM   #7
david ring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dick,

I hope you go with this project. I think those wagons are cool. I'd go with the th-200. there are lots of good builders of these. people recommend Jack Sepanick and Scott McClay did the one in my altered. Figure out which combo you think has the best potential for what you are willing to spend and have fun. One of my friend's has been working on getting a 6 cylinder jeep truck to run for a couple of years-it's coming along slowly but he's having a blast-he did go to the quarter finals at the E-town points race. And you'll get to hang with some great d3 racers and have fun. You'll have a blast.

In picking an engine combo, the thing I'd considered most is how will it be able to deal with the heat of those mid-west summers. It might not be best in terms of HP, but it might be better in terms of actual racing conditions, particularly in terms of consistency.
david ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:11 PM   #8
Dave Ribeiro
VIP Member

Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Wink Re: 78-82 malibu wagon transmission options

Dick,

I agree with David + Dwight on racing the wagon.. I can only tell you that you will have more fun, meet the nicest racers and wonder why you didn't do it sooner !!! Go for it, life is too short and you will love it... The smart think is do it right the first time and it will cost you alot less in the long run..I would stay with an automatic, there are plenty of them out there who go fast and are low maintance...Cause at our ages you don't want to be under the car everyday ??
I also agree with David on trans( Sepanek) who I use is great and can fix you up for a good price( T-200).. PTC is very good on convertors(Kenny Ford)... Engines; Bud Rowe, Billy Linn, Tilberg, etc... I would try Bud Rowe, he has a long track-record with small blocks and good prices, I sure you must have someone out your way also...Please don't be a test car on 305 ci or you will spend alot more $$$$$$.. Go with someone who builds them everyday and has the hot set-up, remember you get what you pay for...........Good Luck with your project, you won't be Sorry !!!
Dave...1033/stock(Pontiac)