HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #21
Scotty D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Manual Trans Help

hey drooze keep up the good work on pop's car can't wait to see it run and see the numbers.on the other question in stock if i'm not mistaken you can use the same amount of forward speeds that the car came with from the factory,that being said why go to a 4speed when you could use a 5 or 6 speed and go to a deeper low gear set with not as much rpm drop on the gear changes to keep the motor in its powerband easier and make it more efficient.
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #22
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks

Well......why not 6 .... hmmm.....

I guess if the motor has the "umph" why not go with a wider ratio and 4 , less shifts, less potential for error, I have yet to see a really fast and consistent 6 speed out there (dosent mean there arent , I just havent seen it)

That being said, 1-4 seems ok...and the ratios available for the T56 seem nice for that (the 1-4) cant see using .83 in a drag car ever ? (could be 110% wrong though)

Thats why Im asking....

Cheers

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
hey drooze keep up the good work on pop's car can't wait to see it run and see the numbers.on the other question in stock if i'm not mistaken you can use the same amount of forward speeds that the car came with from the factory,that being said why go to a 4speed when you could use a 5 or 6 speed and go to a deeper low gear set with not as much rpm drop on the gear changes to keep the motor in its powerband easier and make it more efficient.
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:53 PM   #23
Scotty D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

in a 5 speed aplication you could go as low as you wanted as in a 3.50 low gear and evenly space out the rest of the ratio's to help with the rpm drop off on the gear changes.in the 4 speed it would be like a 3.0-3.2 low gear an then second would be in the 2.0-1.9 range and there would be a bigger drop off than there would with a 5 speed.i do know that a ss/ah stick team tested with 4speeds and 5speeds and these were the results that they came up with,the car was faster with the 5 speed and the powerband was more managable because it didn't have to be as wide as with the 4speed.
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:02 AM   #24
Tom keedle

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
"Prolly" not. If you're setting your car to run up on the hill, I'm not qualified to comment.
In a non -altitude situation , I'd say that's way too much first gear for a light , V8 car.
It'll hurt more than it help ...Launch , clutch setup , and even mph , if you can believe that.
I ran a 3.97 first in my 2300 turbo Mustang ,but for an entirely different reason.

oh, i'm not saying that it's the desirable trans BUT i have it and it won't be going on the "good" engine...
i think i figured out once upon a time if this car ran a 14 flat up here, it's be a record run...

btw, the rear is an 8 3/4 mopar w/4.57 gears (8.5x26" tall tires, ain't room for anything taller or wider)
Tom keedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:10 AM   #25
Tom keedle

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Taylor 3601 View Post
Tom slik,
That trans is weakest T-10 made&ratios are terrible. 3.42/2.28/1.46/1-1.
1-2 is not bad 2-3 can you say bogggg?3-4 is not bad but still drops rpm pretty bad. Back when I first started racing still drove car on street broke my trans buddy had one of those 3.42 first T-10s traded him out of it I knew it was super t-10 but had no ideal what the ratios were,pulled out of garage knew 1st was lower.eased through gears made sure it worked
turn around launched it on way back 1st was quick went 2nd I thought hey this feels good went to third I thought it was going to kill engine. 2-3 has gear spread about like GM bulldog 4 spd has on 2-3 shift. Made about 6 passes in 12.70 street tire car not sticky street tires plain ol back in the day N-50s.
Soft clutches absolutely help but I would'nt run a stock style trans unless I have to which I do in my Pure Stocker.
I see ol Nash's sometimes 800.00 and up Liberty is selling there version of nash 5 spd. and all the parts are supposed to interchange with original nashes there have faceplate style sliders.
If you buy a 2 or 3 T-10s you have come close to a new Jerico.600.00 up is about going price for good used T-10,then if you pro shift it you spent about another 300.00 if you can tear apart & put back together yourself. I have'nt checked in last year or so but new Jerico
was about 2500.00 plus ship & shifter.
Mike Taylor 3601
no arguement here, it's just all i have at the moment.
the biggest question is can i still shift?
not the trans, ...me.
i AM getting older...but i have NO desire to run an auto....i'm doing this for fun and, honestly, if it ends up being another "job",i'll run brackets (we've got a stick series out here...
Tom keedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:41 AM   #26
tj310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How come manual trans threads draw so many opinions ? With all this ratio talk how would a 2 spd ever get downtrack? ...Thanx Trevor
tj310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #27
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts

Save up buy a Jerico and a soft-lok clutch(Hyatt,Mcleod,Advanced,Ram, etc) and you will be happy. Ed
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #28
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I would disagree with Mark that a stick won't work well because of the weight and low RPM of the car. It's evident in the post he's behind the times and clutch and flywheel technology have come a long way since he had the Pontiac.
On the other hand, I think if one can't afford to do it right (trans, clutch package), then you would save yourself a lot of expensive aggravation if you stayed away from a stick.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #29
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
I would disagree with Mark that a stick won't work well because of the weight and low RPM of the car. It's evident in the post he's behind the times and clutch and flywheel technology have come a long way since he had the Pontiac.
On the other hand, I think if one can't afford to do it right (trans, clutch package), then you would save yourself a lot of expensive aggravation if you stayed away from a stick.
LOL, I know, Jeff. One call does it all .

Only reason I'm behind the times ,is because I choose to be ,especially with that combination.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #30
Dave Turner
VIP Member

Liked 334 Times in 132 Posts
Smile Re: Manual Trans Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj310 View Post
How come manual trans threads draw so many opinions ? With all this ratio talk how would a 2 spd ever get downtrack? ...Thanx Trevor
Trevor, you have a PM
Dave Turner #1153
Dave Turner is offline   Reply With Quote