HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #41
Bobby Lundholm

Liked 85 Times in 33 Posts
Default Re: The Oddest Car You Raced Against

My dad ran a paint van at Atlanta Dragway with his H/SA Nova. Then van dialed a 24.00 something to my dad's 11.80. He ended up winning that round, but that was a long wait.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:24 AM   #42
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,455 Times in 1,695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lundholm View Post
My dad ran a paint van at Atlanta Dragway with his H/SA Nova. Then van dialed a 24.00 something to my dad's 11.80. He ended up winning that round, but that was a long wait.
You know, that guy (Jimmy something?) had a sbc Nova ,and he blew it up one day, so he ran his tow van.
He started winning more rounds than ever. I don't think he ever went back to the Nova.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:54 PM   #43
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 197 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ceasrine View Post
Mark,

Weren't they considered 'Junior Pimp Mobiles',,,,

By the way, that's Betty Crocker in the passenger seat...

Sorry Paul, that's not a Cadillac Cimarron, that looks more like a Coupe DeVille. Much smaller than the car in the photo...Cimarrons back then were actually Cadillac Cavaliers...same assembly line/platform.
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #44
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Gary,

I stand corrected,,,,,,,,,,,that was the wrong Cadillac I posted..

The 86' Cimarron, smaller than a 'shoe-box'.
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #45
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 197 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24
Smile Re: The Oddest Car You Raced Against

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ceasrine View Post
Gary,

I stand corrected,,,,,,,,,,,that was the wrong Cadillac I posted..

The 86' Cimarron, smaller than a 'shoe-box'.
That's funny Paul, but I guess my car falls into that category of "smaller that a 'shoe-box'! I can't complain too much though, because it's been a great race car for me for 18 seasons, now if I can only learn to judge the faster cars like Jody Lang, then I'd REALLY have some fun with it???

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU PAUL!!!
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #46
Bob Bender
VIP Member

Liked 372 Times in 80 Posts

Mid 60`s ran a 55 chevy and a 59 ford both were I/S. Then all the vegas in X,Y,Z/S in the 70`s.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:58 PM   #47
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts

Well, there was nothing odd about the car. But I'll bet I had an experience that nobody reading this has had.

The year was 1978. The track was the front straight of the circle track, on the Louisiana State Fair Grounds, in Shreveport LA.

So, are ya'll with me, so far ? Anybody else here drive in an organized drag race on the front straight of a circle track ? This was not some sort of special one time gimmick race. The guy running it also held regular races on an air strip in Haynesville LA, where we also raced. So, he set up his timing equipment on the circle track, hoping it would catch on & make him a few bucks.

Well, it wasn't as successful as he'd hoped. I think we ran 4 races there. The last race was a doubleheader, one Fri nite, one Sat. It was advertised in the Shreveport area as an 18-wheeler truck race, hoping to get some fans in the stands.

Not many trucks or fans came. But, all the regulars came. And a radio station had a remote truck there. My girlfriend(now wife) won Fri nite & I won Sat. She had a radio interview. We tied with another guy for 2nd place in points, for that 4-race season.

BUT, I haven't yet mentioned the oddest thing that happened. During a round of competition, I ran a Mopar. It was a small one, either a Cuda or Challenger. I was driving my '69 GTO. Apparently the Mopar guy cut a real bad light, cause I was able to brake just before the finish line & get the easy win.

But wait ! Just when I thought the race was over, the Mopar roared by me ! Don't think he ever let off. I remember thinkin: I wonder if he can make the turn ? The answer was NO !

When he hit turn 1, the Mopar flipped up on it's top, slid for a while, then stopped, upside down. I didn't know if the guy was hurt or what. So I jumped out of my Goat & started over to see if I could help. Just before I got there, he crawled out the window & began cussin up a storm. He was obviously drunk, which had caused the problem to begin with.

So, any of you guys have a experience like this ?

While I have the floor, I'll relate one more experience. Back in around 1973, I was racing my '69 Goat in Stock, at the Haynesville airport. The promoter didn't have any timing equipment, yet. So, we had flag starts. Well, for the shorter, reasonable spots, they had the spots marked off on the track.

But, for the long spots, the flagman just guessed at the correct distance. I drew a little pinto. Can't remember it's class. Maybe V/S ? I was running D/S. They looked up the spot & said it was 410ft, IIRC.

So, the flagman sat down on the front fender of the Pinto & they drove off down the track. He had the Pinto stop, where he THOUGHT 410ft might be. Hey ya'll, that's more than a football field away. I could barely see the flag.

Well, I don't know how accurate the spot was. But it wasn't quite enuff. I flew by JUST before the line, at over 100mph. He was only going what, maybe 50 mph. He had won several races in a row, so the promoter had put a $25 bounty on him. So, I won the $25 bounty & IIRC, also won the race that day.

And, the fans there really loved the Goat. I remember seeing them jumpin & clappin & wavin as I drove back down the side of the strip, to the pits. They were in the back of pickups, which were backed up on a hill, overlooking the track. They started arriving just after Church, on Sundays.

And after my girlfriend started racing, they loved her & her '68 Bird, too. Pontiacs were very popular with these folks. There were more fans at that track than any other track where raced bracket. I suppose it was just a rural area where there was not much else to do on a Sunday afternoon.

Hey, if you go to enuff races, you can experience lots of stuff. We saw some stuff & had lots of fun !

Really wish we'd taken more pics, especially of those fair grounds races. Have not been able to find a soul with any pics from there.

PS: Since Mark mentioned seeing a Cadillac racing, I'll mention this. While we were running at the div 4 bracket finals, at Green Valley, back in '77-'78, we saw a big 2-door Caddy. It looked stock, from the outside, except for racing wheels/tires. Had a 500 cube Caddy engine, with 2 x 4 carbs. Ran mid 11's. Only one we ever saw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - '78 Shreve Points Sheet .jpg
Views:	89
Size:	395.6 KB
ID:	59975   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 - Haynesville Points '78 .jpg
Views:	83
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	59976   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 - Haynesville .jpg
Views:	83
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	59977  

Last edited by oldskool; 09-23-2021 at 10:30 PM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:30 PM   #48
DeuceCoupe

Liked 45 Times in 41 Posts

Oldskool,
great stories.
My main takeaway is you've stayed with the same gal for 43 years, at least.
Only 36 years for me, so far.

I imagine those Pintos/Capris did ok in the 1970s - the 2000cc would turn over 8000rpm without ever even pulling the oil pan so it was really limited by the cam and smallish carb. Still, rated at 100ghp and made more than that stone showroom stock so a good place to start.

I grew up FoMoCo but always enjoyed Pontiac Day at Milan just as much as Ford Day. Pontiac made a lot of great street combos. (Too many sometimes!)
DeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:49 PM   #49
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts

"...My main takeaway is you've stayed with the same gal for 43 years..."

LOL ! Actually, we began dating in '68 ! Built her 1st car in '74. We didn't get married 'til '78. Too busy racing.

In '78, we went to 49 races. 4 got rained out. Out of the 45 we ran, we won 15 of 'em. Also had some RU & semi finishes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - TJ's 1st Bird .jpg
Views:	92
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	59978   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 - TJ  .jpg
Views:	101
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	59979  

Last edited by oldskool; 09-23-2021 at 10:55 PM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 09-24-2021, 07:08 PM   #50
theman440

Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts

SBC powered Chevy LUV
'66 Coronet #10771 - bracket puke
"the Flying Brick"
theman440 is offline   Reply With Quote