HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Competition Tech

Old 12-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
ROY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Head Studs

Was wondering about head studs vs head bolts on aluminum heads,I have heard pros and cons to both! I ran ARP studs on a 347 Ford,8.2 deck with 13.8 compression,never any issues.I'm building a 418"Windsor,9.5 deck, that will end up at 12.4 compression and was told I should run ARP head studs.Same aluminum heads as on my 347,any comments or ideas? ROY.
ROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #2
JWRE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Head Studs

Studs are always better, but I don't think you necessarily need them. I once worked at a shop where 99% of the builds were SBF. Fel-Pro did some tests with us on head gaskets. One finding was the substantial increase in clamping force with 351W's 1/2" bolts versus 302's 7/16". The 1/2" bolts were even better than 7/16" studs. In fact, they said running their Loc-wire gaskets on a 302 was not beneficial because the 7/16" fasteners couldn't clamp the gasket enough to take advantage of the improved combustion seal with the o-ring, making it no better than using a standard Fel-Pro blue stripe head gasket. I don't know how much power you're expecting, but I've used bolts on several 700HP range Windsors, even adding a little NOS to some, and never had an issue.
JWRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
ROY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Head Studs

JWRE;thanks for the input,great information!! I ran ARP head bolts on my series of 347-352" short decks,never any issues.I'm building a 418W,was thinking ARP head studs,just not sure which way to go. ROY.
ROY is offline   Reply With Quote