Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 08-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #11
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 430 Times in 142 Posts
Default Re: Automatic trans shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by novassdude View Post
I have a turbo 400 that has the modulator and weights set up so that it will shift at 5800 just putting it in drive and go. We have the electric kick-down on a switch if you turn the switch on it shifts at 6500 both shifts. Takes some testing to get them right but works great once you have it.
That is more like the set up I was contemplating for consistency in a bracket race car.
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:43 PM   #12
Coleydog

Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts

The 727 trans can be set to shift at any rpm with gov weights too, in fact the factory did this with the Hemi trans over the regular trans. I've heard of company's that sell a range of rpm weights.
Coleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:28 PM   #13
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,790 Times in 571 Posts

On our Torqueflites...If the trans temp changed the shift points would
seem to change a bit.
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:58 AM   #14
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 645 Times in 206 Posts
Cool Re: Automatic trans shifting

That's an interesting consideration:temperature induced viscosity changes of the fluid and what it would do to a shift point.It's getting easier to manage water temperature for consistencies with the electric fans and water pumps and all, but how can we integrate a means of ATF temperature control for the same reason?
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #15
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,030 Times in 269 Posts

One huge problem with using the governor to control shifts is that not all race engines require the same RPM at every shift for both performance and consistency.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:44 AM   #16
Lou Jeffery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I worked hard on a Ford C-4 to get the shift points where We wanted them and it worked well. After many passes the converter failed so to save time and get back racing I installed a manual valvebody trans. off the shelf and raced it. I was just as consistent manually shifting as the automatic shifting of the other unit. I now have the auto shift back so I can pay attention to other aspects but consistency was not a big difference. My combo has a pretty big window to shift, some could be more sensitive.
Lou Jeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #17
Steve Stasko

Liked 228 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleydog View Post
The 727 trans can be set to shift at any rpm with gov weights too, in fact the factory did this with the Hemi trans over the regular trans. I've heard of company's that sell a range of rpm weights.

A&A Transmission sells the governor weights for Torqueflites.

I built a 727 a few months ago for my street (and occasional strip) car. I removed the stock weight for a "5600 RPM" weight from A&A. There is a noticeable difference when just holding them in your hand. I noticed though afterwards that the trans shifts really quick now. It doesn't lose any RPM's when shifting, but it will shift into high gear in about 250-300' in normal driving conditions. The car is deadly consistent though (Thanks in part to the fresh Select Converter!)...
Steve Stasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:37 PM   #18
ATI Performance Products
Sponsor

Liked 9 Times in 1 Post

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/sema-...al-valve-body/

T400 E-shift. Can work off a Holley or AEM Computer or with a Turbo Action shifter. Been testing for a year, and working out bugs.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:43 PM   #19
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,474 Times in 426 Posts

I think if you are going this route then you'd better be racing with the 4L60E transmission that e-shift was used on! Running a TH200 or 350 with e-shift should be illegal. Those transmissions never came with an electronic shift and this whole E-Shift bull**** in stock eliminator has gotten way out of hand. How is this any different from super stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
In Stock Eliminator, cars originally equipped with automatic transmissions that were shifted electronically by the computer as delivered from the factory can use "E-shift" systems, even on transmissions that were not original to the car, and did not originally have "E-shift". So a late model EFI car can use "E-shift", but an older carburetor equipped car cannot.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:47 PM   #20
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,605 Times in 375 Posts
Talking Re: Automatic trans shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fazio View Post
I think if you are going this route then you'd better be racing with the 4L60E transmission that e-shift was used on! Running a TH200 or 350 with e-shift should be illegal. Those transmissions never came with an electronic shift and this whole E-Shift bull**** in stock eliminator has gotten way out of hand. How is this any different from super stock?
I have a200 metric. Auto 1-2. Shifts of governor. Bolt thru pan to adjust shift point In my super stocker I shift it because it's a power glide. Too easy. Ya I cheat