HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 06-29-2019, 04:46 PM   #1
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 644 Times in 205 Posts
Cool Cleaning steering wheels ?

While rooting around upstairs in the garage, I came up with two of the once very popular four spoke steering wheels once found on Chevelles,Monte Carlo's,Camaros,Nova's and Vega GT's between '72 and '77. Problem is they are very sticky and gooey more so than they used to get when used occasionally. I used to use waterless hand cleaner and a shop rag to clean them back in the day, but these are far worse. They probably would clean up, though. Anybody got a better idea for cleaning them up than that?
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:54 PM   #2
Mark Ugrich

Liked 54 Times in 31 Posts
Default Re: Cleaning steering wheels ?

Try some tire cleaner. I use it to clean interior panels and plastic trim. Works great.
Mark Ugrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:40 PM   #3
2021STK

Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts

Having the same issues, would like to hear someones success story and product used.

Thanks
2021STK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:28 PM   #4
KRatcliff

Liked 502 Times in 135 Posts

Not sure this will work, but it may be worth a try. Dawn dishwashing soap does wonders sometimes. You might also try the Armor All interior cleaning wipes. The leather steering wheels on my street cars and trucks will get sticky/tacky over time. I tried everything and nothing worked right.

I don’t know what possessed me to try the Armor All cleaning wipes because I thought they would be the last thing that would work. I was shocked. The steering wheels feel like a smooth dry non-tacky leather like they did when the cars were new. It is after they dry from the wipes and you will see how filthy the steering wheel gets.
KRatcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:47 PM   #5
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts

might try lacquer thinner
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:58 PM   #6
stage1scott

Liked 87 Times in 38 Posts

I used many of them in my old blazers and suburbans-get some go-to cleaner from California Car Cover-wet a terry cloth towel- soak the wheel in gtc, twist vigorously around the rim with the towel. I used to use 409 for this back in the day, Go To Cleaner works better. it is easier if it is mounted to something.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:38 PM   #7
Dave Gantz

Liked 219 Times in 114 Posts

Might wanna be careful with lacquer thinner. Pretty aggressive. Maybe prepsolv.

I've used super clean or purple clean, whatever it's called. Aggressive degreaser that seems to be soap based. Lots of water needed to clean the purple stuff off, it's sticky in itself.
Dave Gantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:51 PM   #8
Todd Bailey

Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts

I JUST cleaned one this past February and actually used carb cleaner from Walmart. Theirs is not as potent as say the Gumout brand. You WILL turn a lot of paper towels yellow in the process to get the oil, residue,whatever, etc from the wheel. After cleaning it, i sprayed it with WD-40 and wiped it down. It presently is in the '69 Camaro Stocker ragtop that the Emmons have.(Pops's former car)
Todd Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:04 PM   #9
Jeff Kempton

Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts

I've cleaned them easily in the past using hardware store paint thinner. There's another thread currently on FB where someone suggested dusting it with baby powder after cleaning to seal the pores, which seems like a good idea.
Jeff Kempton is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 07-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #10
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 644 Times in 205 Posts
Cool Re: Cleaning steering wheels ?

Got them done. It was quite a bit of work, but the end result was pretty good. The Dawn dish soap and the hot water and a scrub brush loosened the dirt stuck to the wheel, but a trip to Napa for a three dollar small container of white paste type waterless hand cleaner, not the type with pumice or other granules seemed to soften and remove the sticky residue these steering wheels seem to create.It took several applications, using a shop rag to work it into the wheel rim and the spokes in a rather vigorous fashion, then after all traces of sticky stuff was removed, the end result seemed okay. A final wash with Dawn and hot water seemed adequate enough to finish it off. I remember when new cars had these wheels and if they sat locked up in the sun a lot, they got that way fairly frequently. Working in a dealership for five years, we got good at finding ways not to track up customer's new carpets or mess up steering wheels and dash knobs. The wheel in my Chevelle is getting a little tacky, time to get it next. These two wheels I got out of the attic were really bad,however.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote