HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-05-2007, 09:45 PM   #71
Aubrey N Bruneau

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Aubrey N Bruneau
Default Re: 62 Chevrolet, STILL No Traction

Woodro, I've spoken to Lamar a couple times.
You should have heard him laugh 4 years ago, when I told him I was building a car for actual modern Stock Eliminator ! ! !
His response... you can't get under the Index ( this was the general consensus for most anyone who was experienced with 409's in the later years of Stock ).
He did wish me good luck though !
My one Stock event that I managed to attend a couple years ago... qualified second to last in a 38 car field... but I WAS .18 under the Index ! ( 1.75 60ft... spinning through first gear ).

Anyhow, Lamar's experience, is mostly with SEVERELY modified cars and engines ( angle milled block, ect ).

"Day one" ?
Somewhere in spring of 1961 !
I was 1 year old
Old 08-06-2007, 11:30 AM   #72
Bob Gullett
VIP Member

Liked 414 Times in 92 Posts
Talking Re: 62 Chevrolet, STILL No Traction

Its too bad you didn't make it to the race in Medicine Hat. I don't know of one car that spun (in our class anyways). The bite was incredible. It would of bogged down that 409 like it never has been before!
Old 08-06-2007, 12:43 PM   #73
Aubrey N Bruneau

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

How did you do, Bob ? Go a few rounds ?
ALWAYS like to see the stick guys come out on top !

Bog down ?
Can't even IMAGINE it !
( break something ?.... maybe )
Old 08-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #74
Bob Gullett
VIP Member

I was a duck both days! Had a great race against Caitlin Setters on Saturday. Both had good lites and she won by .012. Went red on Sunday by 5 thou. Car ran good. Qualified #1 Saturday and #2 Sunday. Mike Pruss with his new SS/GA was number one on Sunday. 28 cars on Saturday and 27 on Sunday. A G/SA Mustang broke on Saturday and could not return for Sunday. On a side note they did (I know this is talked about on another thread) not have any heads up races. On Saturdays race Sean Kennedy had a heads up in the third round and obviously was happy to learn about this as he would have been covered by a ton. His opponent was not very happy. Alan Falcone won on Saturday over Sean Kennedy. Not sure who won on Sunday.

Last edited by Bob Gullett; 08-06-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Bob Gullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:12 PM   #75
Aubrey N Bruneau

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Sounds like a Stockin' good time, Bob !

me ?
I don't need no stinking "heads up" races... no good when you're car is a slug that's trying to move across a metal sheet all covered in vegetable oil !

WAY too many bugs in my car... everybody else would have needed air cleaners so their engines wouldn't ingest them... fouling plugs and all.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #76
Bob Gullett
VIP Member

I hate to say this Aubrey but if you don't "need or want" heads up, then I suggest you go bracket racing.

Last edited by Bob Gullett; 08-06-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Bob Gullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:24 AM   #77
Aubrey N Bruneau

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Bob, you wouldn't be too intersted in heads up runs either, if you found your car suddenly, and consistently, .25+ off of it's potential 60ft time !

no no... I said, "need" only.
"Want" ?.... ABSOLUTELY !
That's why the pursuit to make the car fast ( relative term, generalizing performance ).
But until ( if ever ), this thing works right... I'm in a bad position if put in a heads-up situation.

The whole point of this project, for me, was to try and go fast, within a strict set of rules. ANYBODY can bolt good parts on, and have a fast car. When the rules don't permit "bolting on" virtually anything, and everything else is held to tolerances within a .001"..... THAT is the challenge !

Never had any interest in bracket racing.
Maybe that's why I'm such a lousy racer ?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:39 AM   #78
Bob Gullett
VIP Member

Then don't get discouraged and just keep trying. There hasn't been a racer out there that hasn't had issues with his or her car. We've all been there.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:08 PM   #79
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Talking Re: 62 Chevrolet, STILL No Traction

Aubrey,,, Why don't you bring the car down to Bremerton Raceway at the end of this month? The BC Super Shifters will be making their annual visit down here in the states to take on the local stick cars,, its always a fun outing. Theres some "tuff" stick guys around here and I know your car would be appreciated by the fans here. I love those 62 bubbletops anyway,, and I'll be on the mike that day calling the action. Think about it,,, you won't have to worry about any indexes that weekend. You probably know some of the BC boys anyway,, it could be a fun outing for you............................ Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:07 AM   #80
ss wannabee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Aubrey, PLEASE don't give up! I know it's frustrating and very EXPENSIVE as you try to develop this combo....We've all been following the build-up with you over the last few years.....You should be commended on getting that piece out there! Awesome job so far!!!! 1962 Bel-Air Sport Coupes don't exactly grow on trees anymore! THERE will be some DEAD ENDS as you sort this piece out....happens to all of us....How far away is your 'local' drag strip?....I would try to get the car to as many 'test and tune' days as I could.....FIX the problems beforehand if you can....like the fuel delivery/high speed miss thing...Find A BASELINE chassis situation with the previous mentioned info....also a BASELINE clutch set-up....TRY to get some OBSERVERS to go with you and carefully WATCH the car during a run...photos and videotape would be a plus also...Input from local racers there and try to find a guy with 'stick' savvy....RECORD your results and TRY to make ONE CHANGE at a time.....i think you're already doing this.....If your budget allows, that Bremerton date might be a good place to bring the car....you'd be with 'stick' guys....and maybe you could pick up a few pointers there....But please.....NEVER GIVE UP!!!
Just my .02..........
ss wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote