HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 11-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #11
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Old Camaro Super Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P Chapman View Post
You are right he restored it and it is back on the street.
Tom Kasch is a VERY smart man !

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 11-30-2011 at 09:55 AM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:05 PM   #12
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default Re: Old Camaro Super Stocker

Okay here's another question then, so what size motor & trans did Tom & Ruth run in their Super Stock Camaro.

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 11-30-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #13
Dennis P Chapman
VIP Member

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Moose View Post
Okay here's another question then, so what size motor & trans did Tom & Ruth run in their Super Stock Camaro.

I would say 396/325
Old 11-30-2011, 11:13 PM   #14
Pvt Parts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P Chapman View Post
I would say 396/325

I don't know Tom or Ruth personally but I feel like I do. I saw them race many times at Edgewater and Columbus in the late 1970's
Old 12-01-2011, 01:45 AM   #15
Bernie Cunningham

Liked 50 Times in 16 Posts
Default Re: Old Camaro

OK, this could be cool.

A lot of racers have meet and had great encounters with the wonderful Kasch's over the years. They have, obviously, been true CLASS racers for a long time and it's time to talk about your first, if not your favorite meeting with them.

Mine is from the '95 Mopar Nationals in Englishtown, the year I traveled with me class c motorhome and 26' enclosed and I did all the National events. I'm miles away from home (California) and I'm goin rounds, it's hotter than Whaleys' underwear and just as wet with the humidity.

Luckily, I'm pitted close to the staging lanes on the right side of the track under the only tree around. The D1 crew are circling, I'm by myself. Tom and Ruth come by and start helping me cool down, charge up and get ready for the next round without a blink of my eye. What did I know, never meet 'em before but there they are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As it turns out I kicked the D1 enforcers/mentors driver's butt in the semi's (you know who you are LOL) The whole time the Kasch's hung back ready for me to come back with water and support. Then it was all I could do to literally force them into the winners circle pic. with me and Gruber from Valvoline. True people here my friends!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unfortunatly, that's when I meet Fletchburger, cause he won SS. LOL

Damn it, that just reminded me of the trip into town with those mentally re-tarted Canadian group headed by the infamous Jim Morrison in his motorhome. What a great night we had, lets go devils, lets go devils !!!!!!!!! Then I got stuck on the fence trying to get back into the track, plastered (#@*^%$%(%(*&)
AHH the GOOD TIMES !!

Last edited by Bernie Cunningham; 12-01-2011 at 02:03 AM.
Bernie Cunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #16
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Well maybe it's time that I let Mr. Kasch chime in here and tell the rest of the story on this 68 396 Camaro...perhaps he can start off by telling us where he bought the car from originally and how much he paid for it...were his plans to turn it into a Super Stocker from day one or not...I also hope he can tell us all about the cars history, the races and class wins that it won the years it was on the track...and last but not least it's current state, did he restore it back to day one or day two condition. - HM.

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 12-02-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #17
Jeff Kempton

Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Default Re: Old Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Cunningham View Post
.........Mine is from the '95 Mopar Nationals in Englishtown, the year I traveled with me class c motorhome and 26' enclosed and I did all the National events............

Damn it, that just reminded me of the trip into town with those mentally re-tarted Canadian group headed by the infamous Jim Morrison in his motorhome. What a great night we had, lets go devils, lets go devils !!!!!!!!! Then I got stuck on the fence trying to get back into the track, plastered (#@*^%$%(%(*&)
AHH the GOOD TIMES !!
Who you calling "re-tarted"? LOL.....Hey, at least you survived that night as well as the week that followed! Much longer with us and you'd have never recovered!

C'mon back to the east coast and we'll do that again! Of course, we're older now, this time we might not survive it.......

But back on topic now: I haven't met Tom or Ruth in person yet but have had the pleasure of corresponding with Tom for some time now via email. He's a wealth of knowledge about SS racing in the '70s-90s and has helped me quite a bit in researching my old Camaro. He is certainly a class act, as is Ruth, and I look forward to meeting them sometime soon.
Jeff Kempton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #18
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Them picking up the new car to turn into a Super Stocker.

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 12-09-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #19
cad

Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts

Very cool memories!
cad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #20
TOM KASCH
VIP Member

Liked 241 Times in 100 Posts

First off thanks for all your conments. It was a great run of 33 yrs.
Well the story goes like this :
In 68 I bought the 67 Camaro thats in the picture called' "Them picking the new car up',
I had my friend J.D. restore the 57 Nomad to tow it with.
I was a salesman in Detroit and I saw it in a lot.
I had just talked to Wally Booth the moring of June3 ,1969 about building the SS 325 hp motor,when calling on a small shop in Detroit I got hit by a run away car in a garge & lost my right leg. I had 3-4 operations on my left leg and we tradedthe 67 for a 40 Willys show car. BUT I always wanted to race again as we had in the 60-s.
J.D. told me we could put hand controls in a Camaro and we should look for one, I just wanted to run INDY Nationals before I lost my left leg.
So I'm standing in my friends gas station asking him if he knows of any, and we hear this big block coming down the street, it pulls into his station with a for sale sign in the window,
I asked "how much"
He says "pay it off" I'm out of work and cann't pay for it. Pay of $ 1200.00
It's a rs/ss 396 -325 car .Rally- green
So we put a cam in it , hooker headers, gear and go to INDy. I just wanted to run INDY< didn't care how fast it went.
The next yr , Ruth drives it as I'm having left leg operations.
We meet Bill Felker and he builds us a engine and sort of join his team of 4 -68 Camaro SS cars.
I drive some in 74 am class r/u at the 74 Sports & Spring nationals.
Have Bill build a real good engine for 75, we get to the 75 Winternationals & NHRA changed the H.p. on 68 396-325 engines, Bills also running a 68, and he says " why don't we look for a 69 That wts more , put the new engine in it and he will run G and I'll run SS/Ha. So thats what we did.
I put the 68 in the back of our garage in Jan.75 and had our son Tony restore it in June of 06 -07 after we sold our last stocker and trailer.
Here's a link to the rebuild, will put more up If you guys want to see some things.
Thanks again ,
Ruth & Tom

http://public.fotki.com/fwd3300/rebuilding-our-68-c/

Last edited by TOM KASCH; 12-10-2011 at 12:25 PM.
TOM KASCH is offline   Reply With Quote