HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-22-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
04BlackSilverado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Newbie wants to race... But what class??

This is my first post am I'm diving right in...

I currently own a 2004 Silverado and want to enter into a IHRA Class. I want to run for fun and I want to get involved in this sport and learn more.

I have looked into all the classes and sub classes and I'm a little confused where I stand.
This is my current set-up as follows.

2004 Silverado 2wd Regular Cab Short Bed

Removed the Factory 5.3L for the following:
6.0L 366ci Iron Block (2003 LQ4 Block)
LS2 Pistons and Rods (06 Corvette)
L92 Heads (07 Denali)
LS3 Intake (09 Camaro)
90mm DBW Throttle Body (06 Corvette)
32# Injectors (Stock L92)

255LPH Fuel Pump (Aftermarket)
Custom Cam (Aftermarket)

4.10 Gears with TruTrack Locker (Came with 3.73 and crappy limited slip)
Hardened push rods

Pacesetter Long Tube Headers
True Dual 3" w/"H" Pipe
Dynomax Muffler
Factory Electric Cooling fans w/34" Radiator (Factory in 05)
HP Tuners (Tuned by Me)
Transmission Cooler W/Fan

Planning in the near future:

Built 4L60E Transmission
3000 RPM Stall Converter
Possibly a 4-Link with Coil Over (unless a major class changer)
Also thinking of a Bore and Stroke up to a 408 or a few years down the road with a LSX 454 (Dreaming of a 454SS Silverado Re-Make really)

I read through the rule book a few times and I can't figure where I would fit in well. I guess that I would run high to mid 12's in this 4500# Truck with traction.

What do you think? Class?
or would it be worth it for me, or should I stick to the Street Nights with all the ricers...

Opinions Please!

04BlackSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr
Default Re: Newbie wants to race... But what class??

Are you thinking of running it in Stock or Super Stock?I don't see the '04 Silverado in the NHRA Classification Guide, so it would not be eligible for NHRA. IHRA (to my knowledge) doesn't have an online version of the Guide. They may accept some combinations as legal.

Was the 6.0 engine you installed available from the factory in the '04 Silverado? If not, the truck will not be eligible for Stock. Not sure what all replacement parts are allowed (LS-2 pistons, etc don't sound legal). The camshaft would have to meet factory lift specs (or .430 lift, whichever is bigger). 4 links are not allowed in Stock It doesn't sound like your truck would be eligible for any Stock or Super Stock classes. Probably would have to run in Pro in brackets, or maybe Hot Rod if it can run 10.90 1/4 mile (7.00 1/8 mile) and has all the safety requirements. Your best bet at an IHRA Divisional race right now would be to run No Box or Street ET.
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

If you wanted to run Stock, there are truck classes for factory trucks. Crate Motor Stock is also an option, using one of several IHRA-approved Crate motors. Both Stock Truck and Crate Motor Stock are for 1/2 ton or smaller trucks.

From the IHRA website:

http://www.ihra.com/competition/pistons.php Accepted Replacement Pistons

http://www.ihra.com/downloads/pdf/co...ateengines.pdf
Old 03-22-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
04BlackSilverado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Carr View Post
Are you thinking of running it in Stock or Super Stock?I don't see the '04 Silverado in the NHRA Classification Guide, so it would not be eligible for NHRA. IHRA (to my knowledge) doesn't have an online version of the Guide. They may accept some combinations as legal.

Was the 6.0 engine you installed available from the factory in the '04 Silverado? If not, the truck will not be eligible for Stock. Not sure what all replacement parts are allowed (LS-2 pistons, etc don't sound legal). The camshaft would have to meet factory lift specs (or .430 lift, whichever is bigger). 4 links are not allowed in Stock It doesn't sound like your truck would be eligible for any Stock or Super Stock classes. Probably would have to run in Pro in brackets, or maybe Hot Rod if it can run 10.90 1/4 mile (7.00 1/8 mile) and has all the safety requirements. Your best bet at an IHRA Divisional race right now would be to run No Box or Street ET.
Here is the link that I found for the rule book.
http://www.mydigitalpublication.com/...ion?m=1203&l=1

Are you thinking of running it in Stock or Super Stock? Not Sure
Was the 6.0 engine you installed available from the factory in the '04 Silverado? It came from the 2500
The camshaft would have to meet factory lift specs (or .430 lift, whichever is bigger). I'll have to go back to the stock cam (could I run a factory cam from other years?)
4 links are not allowed in Stock It doesn't sound like your truck would be eligible for any Stock or Super Stock classes. 4-Link is out then
Probably would have to run in Pro in brackets, or maybe Hot Rod if it can run 10.90 1/4 mile (7.00 1/8 mile) and has all the safety requirements. 10.9... thats a no (I wish)
Your best bet at an IHRA Divisional race right now would be to run No Box or Street ET

Could I compete in those classes, or would I be an anchor and waste time to other drivers in the class? I just want to fit in a class that would welcome my ride.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:47 PM   #5
04BlackSilverado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
If you wanted to run Stock, there are truck classes for factory trucks. Crate Motor Stock is also an option, using one of several IHRA-approved Crate motors. Both Stock Truck and Crate Motor Stock are for 1/2 ton or smaller trucks.

From the IHRA website:

http://www.ihra.com/competition/pistons.php Accepted Replacement Pistons

http://www.ihra.com/downloads/pdf/co...ateengines.pdf
I looked at the Crate class, and it looks like the only LS motor allowed is the LS1, which is smaller (ci wise), more expensive, and an aluminum block (again more expensive). The approved LS1 pistons are only for the smaller bore LS1 not the 4" bore LS2 or LQ9 Pistons.

I'll look more at the truck class...
Old 03-22-2010, 11:50 PM   #6
Mike Carr
VIP Member

"Camshaft must retain stock lift for horsepower claimed, per IHRA Tech Bulletins". You can use aftermarket cams (Crane, Comp Cams, etc), as long as the factory lift is met, but not exceeded. Any duration is permitted (I believe). Stock Trucks "maximum lift limited .430 or OEM, whichever is greater".

If you run Pro, Street, No-Box, it's just a dial-in bracket race, so yeah, you can run just about anything. Even slower street cars. My first street car that I bracket raced was an eighteen second Olds Cutlass. Some basic safety items will be checked (battery is secure, minimum of a one pint overflow tank, etc).
Old 03-22-2010, 11:53 PM   #7
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04BlackSilverado View Post
I looked at the Crate class, and it looks like the only LS motor allowed is the LS1, which is smaller (ci wise), more expensive, and an aluminum block (again more expensive). The approved LS1 pistons are only for the smaller bore LS1 not the 4" bore LS2 or LQ9 Pistons.

I'll look more at the truck class...
Here are some people to contact, to see if an '04 Silverado is eligible for Stock. If not, most all IHRA Divisional Pro-Am races offer Box and No-Box ET bracket classes.

http://www.ihra.com/competition/index.php#contact

Last edited by Mike Carr; 03-22-2010 at 11:54 PM. Reason: wrong link
Old 03-22-2010, 11:56 PM   #8
04BlackSilverado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Here are some people to contact, to see if an '04 Silverado is eligible for Stock. If not, most all IHRA Divisional Pro-Am races offer Box and No-Box ET bracket classes.

http://www.ihra.com/competition/index.php#contact
I know bracket racing, but what is "box" and "no-Box"?

Thanks for your time, Mike

I'll send them an e-mail
Old 03-23-2010, 12:02 AM   #9
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Box allows Delay Boxes. No-Box does not allow delay boxes. Different classes go by different names at different tracks. ET 1, Super Pro, Electronics, Box are usually the same. Pro, No-Box, ET 2, Modified same thing. Most tracks (but not all IHRA Pro-Ams) offer Street ET also. Most classes have a maximum ET that you can dial-in. Box might be no slower than 11.99, No-Box might be no slower than, say, 13.99 or 14.99. Street ET is usually no ET limit, though some I have seen are now slower than 17.49, or 19.99.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:07 AM   #10
04BlackSilverado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Box allows Delay Boxes. No-Box does not allow delay boxes. Different classes go by different names at different tracks. ET 1, Super Pro, Electronics, Box are usually the same. Pro, No-Box, ET 2, Modified same thing. Most tracks (but not all IHRA Pro-Ams) offer Street ET also. Most classes have a maximum ET that you can dial-in. Box might be no slower than 11.99, No-Box might be no slower than, say, 13.99 or 14.99. Street ET is usually no ET limit, though some I have seen are now slower than 17.49, or 19.99.
Oh, I got you.
I raced a Bracket at a Truck Nationals event and it was a delay box. Not a fan, I lost due to a major padding of time in the other lane and some light braking. I raced all out... I still had fun.

Wow 17.49... The truck with the 5.3L (100% Stock) got a best of 15.2 in the 1/4 @93mph