HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 07-08-2018, 12:57 AM   #1
pfordamx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default hood scoops how high and which ones work.

I know for a large number of you guys hood scoops are illegal, but maybe some of you gt guys can chime in, what hood scoop designs have you found to be most effective. or is it basically just staying away from the top of the carb, we did a test last week and picked up a tenth and a half by running with out a hood. we have the traditional SS amx scoop on our car and its about 2 inch above the carb and the carb is sealed to the hood. we were considering having another one made that was 3 inchs taller but the same style to maintain the look kinda like the exaggerated max wedge scoops but i'm open to suggestions.
pfordamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:08 AM   #2
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 665 Times in 258 Posts
Default Re: hood scoops how high and which ones work.

PM me your E-mail and I will send you a program that lets you figure scoop size needed. you only need what you need, no more..
Old 07-08-2018, 12:27 PM   #3
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

As Adger said opening size is very important .
Height of the scoop is very important also in allowing air flow to" straighten out" ,so to speak.
I found significant gains in this area over the years on my and customers cars.
Also the larger the scoop the more areo drag
Years ago I had a SS/AMX type scoop on my Modified/Production Javelin , the car picked up a tenth by turning the scoop backwards .
Old 07-08-2018, 12:57 PM   #4
Jim Hawkins

Liked 106 Times in 31 Posts

The 69 nova I ran in ss/as with a big block years ago we started with a snorkel scoop popular in the 80's. We fought that car for a year changing fuel and ignition parts until someone suggested removing the air pan sealing the carb to the scoop. With the scoop sealed to the carb it would just nose over at about 1000'. After removing the air pan the car ran fine and picked up a bunch.
Had a couple different scoops after that but never saw any gains sealed up. We just ran it open under the scoop.
My 67 camaro with a big super mod type scoop on it worked ok sealed to the carb unless there was a cross wind and then it had problems.
Jim Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:12 PM   #5
pfordamx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Sounds like there's alot of good experience and knowlodge on this topic. i've been looking at one of the shorter round snorkels like you see on some of the front wheel conversions or there's a guy with a white early camaro running modified stock with a round scoop i don't his name though but i'd like to try something like that.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:48 AM   #6
Todd Bailey

Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts

Get one just big enough to do the job. Too big of one and you end up running over cones and trash cans. Wish i didn't have one on mine.
Todd Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #7
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfordamx View Post
I know for a large number of you guys hood scoops are illegal, but maybe some of you gt guys can chime in, what hood scoop designs have you found to be most effective. or is it basically just staying away from the top of the carb, we did a test last week and picked up a tenth and a half by running with out a hood. we have the traditional SS amx scoop on our car and its about 2 inch above the carb and the carb is sealed to the hood. we were considering having another one made that was 3 inchs taller but the same style to maintain the look kinda like the exaggerated max wedge scoops but i'm open to suggestions.
I would bet that alot of your ET gain without the hood came from less areo drag by not trapping air under the hood.
Dan
Old 07-10-2018, 12:21 AM   #8
pfordamx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

thats an interesting thought we are adding a belly pan and front spoiler/air damn, do you think those things will help that problem i figured it was turbulence above the carb we could always remove the scoop and leave the hood and see what that does.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:37 AM   #9
Steve Stasko

Liked 228 Times in 120 Posts

Get a long piece of yarn or thin rope, tape the beginning of it to the very front edge of the hood, and the other end to the edge of the front of the roof. If the scoop opening is not above/in front of that line you just created, the scoop is not working effectively. The exception to this rule is a NACA duct laid into the hood. Air flows over the hood, and along the very top of the hood. That is from the old Direct Connection bulletins.
Steve Stasko is offline   Reply With Quote