HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #31
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 398 Times in 189 Posts
Default Re: Front End Suspension, NHRA Rule Question

Alf does not have a website/blog/catalog, etc. There's no checking out his stuff and getting prices other than speaking to and looking over the cars of racers using his stuff. Alf builds a limited number of kits a year after payment in full is received.

Last edited by 1320racer; 09-13-2013 at 06:29 PM.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #32
Chipper Chapman

Liked 141 Times in 63 Posts

My car had the old school bushing trick, but when a bolt backed out and so did the bushing I decided it was time to make it right with global wests. I was concerned with wheter theyre shafts would be legal or so I used my stock shafts. Also it does not have any weibe chassis parts, and I have no intention of changing because it works excellent as is. Someday it may become a problem as power levels increase yes, but not anytime in the near future.
Chipper Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:02 AM   #33
J&S Racing

Liked 288 Times in 78 Posts

After all my research, I went with...
Afco steel bushings
Afco low friction ball joints
Global West shafts
Speed Tech bump steer kit and solid body bushings
I spent a lot of time paying attention to the big wheelstand cars. There was no other option, Santhuff shocks and Landrum spings to finish the front.
J&S Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #34
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
Alf does not have a website/blog/catalog, etc. There's no checking out his stuff and getting prices other than speaking to and looking over the cars of racers using his stuff. Alf builds a limited number of kits a year after payment in full is received.
Then basically, your promoting a "club" that maybe you get into, maybe you don't. I'm quite sure everything that Alf makes is top-notch but if a newbie can't locate him and I don't see a phone number listed, and even if you did contact him he only builds limited production then it may as well be a fantasy.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:26 AM   #35
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 458 Times in 173 Posts

Is ALF an Indian (the country) Company?

Alf Engineering Pvt Ltd is a leading OE manufacturer of automotive Chassis, and currently manufactures over 1200 frames/day from its plants across India.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #36
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 458 Times in 173 Posts

Never mind the India country.....I believe you are talking about Alf Wiebe suspension parts.

One comment I found:
yes the kit is designed for completely stock bolt on suspensions, but also i think a lot of people overlook the horsepower levels its designed for, i have yet to see anyone mention its limitations in that category. it is basically designed as a ladder bar conversion, the upper arms are converted into a wishbone locator, that does nothing but hold the rear laterally. this really short ic makes the car hit the tires extremely hard and therefore will get a heavy low hp(600 or less) car moving FAST. theres on universally disliked individual that has been running alfs suspension for a while and loves to post pictures of his car with the front end 6' in the air running mid tens. if he put more power to the car, it would get a lot harder to tame. it would either hit the tires hard enough to spin them or make the car want to stand up way to high.

But, this seems to talk about rear suspension that is a replacement for stock rear suspension. I believe the thread is about front suspension.

It really doesn't matter to me. If you believe that you have he best stuff....go with it. I certainly will not try to sell you on what I use, I know it works for my cars, but might not for yours.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #37
RULER

Liked 57 Times in 17 Posts
Wink Re: Front End Suspension, NHRA Rule Question

Didn't ALF have a TV. show a few years back, wasn't he some kind of alien???????
RULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #38
Andy Friar

Liked 220 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&S Racing View Post
After all my research, I went with...
Afco steel bushings
Afco low friction ball joints
Global West shafts
Speed Tech bump steer kit and solid body bushings
I spent a lot of time paying attention to the big wheelstand cars. There was no other option, Santhuff shocks and Landrum spings to finish the front.
Thanks, I am going to do my full study and do something similar. Buying parts and pieces that are the best balance of performance & price.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:32 AM   #39
Andy Friar

Liked 220 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstockdart View Post
never mind the india country.....i believe you are talking about alf wiebe suspension parts.

One comment i found:
Yes the kit is designed for completely stock bolt on suspensions, but also i think a lot of people overlook the horsepower levels its designed for, i have yet to see anyone mention its limitations in that category. It is basically designed as a ladder bar conversion, the upper arms are converted into a wishbone locator, that does nothing but hold the rear laterally. This really short ic makes the car hit the tires extremely hard and therefore will get a heavy low hp(600 or less) car moving fast. Theres on universally disliked individual that has been running alfs suspension for a while and loves to post pictures of his car with the front end 6' in the air running mid tens. If he put more power to the car, it would get a lot harder to tame. It would either hit the tires hard enough to spin them or make the car want to stand up way to high.

But, this seems to talk about rear suspension that is a replacement for stock rear suspension. I believe the thread is about front suspension.

It really doesn't matter to me. If you believe that you have he best stuff....go with it. I certainly will not try to sell you on what i use, i know it works for my cars, but might not for yours.
Thanks for the input. Underlying message received from you, the others who have posted on here, and the pm's I have received. I have a build thread on this car and will be updating as progress is made.

Last edited by Andy Friar; 09-14-2013 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Smily face didn't work.
Andy Friar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #40
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

Most people remove old bushings with a blunt air chisel after putting rust penetrant on the areas where the bushings are pressed onto the arms. It is fairly common for the holes in the arms to be a little out of square, either factory, from use, or after removing the old bushings. You will find out when you try the solid steel bushings; bushings with soft inserts mask the issue. You may have to open up the holes in the arms a little, tack weld the outer bushing sleeves, and check for alignment with a 1/2" rod and the inner sleeves. Then you bend the ends of the arms until alignment is perfect. Upper arm bushings are often one piece and you just weld the bushings in as best you can, after opening up the holes in the arms enough to achieve perfect alignment. Press fit is OK if you end up with perfect alignment, and that may not happen. Use either high pressure chassis grease or moly cam lube on the friction surfaces.
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote