Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-23-2009, 09:42 PM   #31
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts
Default Re: Schubek Lifters

Bob,

These threads do take on a life of their own. I hope you get the information you need.

I have Schubek lifters in three motors with no running problems. But, ol Joe did send me a bad set once and it took months to get a good set out of him. Bub taught me how to check them out and set them up. I ain't skeerd!

Last edited by Bruce Noland; 11-24-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Bruce Noland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #32
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im considering some Smith Machine Composite lifters... Ive read all the bad stuff about them, and its got me wondering... Is everybody just over revving their engines? Or, are these things not as good as they claim to be? I cant imagine, that, revving to 6500-6700, and having 180-200lbs on the seat(not the driver's seat..hehe), there wouldnt be any problems... My other question, at this point, is, are they worth it? Is a regular lifter, with EDM , a good way to go?
Old 04-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #33
carl hinkson

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent flynn View Post
Im considering some Smith Machine Composite lifters... Ive read all the bad stuff about them, and its got me wondering... Is everybody just over revving their engines? Or, are these things not as good as they claim to be? I cant imagine, that, revving to 6500-6700, and having 180-200lbs on the seat(not the driver's seat..hehe), there wouldnt be any problems... My other question, at this point, is, are they worth it? Is a regular lifter, with EDM , a good way to go?
Been there done that with composite lifters, Identical engines some lifters have lived and some didn't and the ones that didn't made a mess in the engine.

Since then I have gone to the Tool steel lifters and no problems so far.
carl hinkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #34
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl hinkson View Post
Been there done that with composite lifters, Identical engines some lifters have lived and some didn't and the ones that didn't made a mess in the engine.

Since then I have gone to the Tool steel lifters and no problems so far.
Can you use tool steel lifters on a cast iron cam, with no problems? Are spring pressures the same as composite? EDM hole?
Old 04-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #35
carl hinkson

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Can you use tool steel lifters on a cast iron cam, with no problems? Are spring pressures the same as composite? EDM hole?
Same spring pressures you would run with a cast iron lifter. The tool steel lifters you can send back and have them resurfaced for around 100 dollars.

Tool steel lifters on a cast cam core is not a problem.

I have used some with a EDM hole and some with out and have not seen any difference.
carl hinkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #36
Reed Granrt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

DLC coatings are a lot like oil. There are as many different kinds as there is oil. These coatings are still in their embryoinc stages. There is coatings made for low pressure loads, high pressure loads, vapor load , non vapor loads and yep you guess it what ever you want to talk about. You talk about NASCAR. Ya cant even compare the 2. Those guys want to finish one race with as little spring pressure as you can get by with. Everything in that motor is so finely tunes, that if you pass gas near one of them and it ingest it, something will burn up cause they didnt git to test it that way. That unlimited money is to git it light and keep it together. There are good DLC companies and then there are just coating companies. So dont lump them all together and say the coating dont work. Friction coefficient can be as low as .04 and hardness can be as hard as
3500Hv. Crap now ya got me started.
reed
Reed Granrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #37
George Mirza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
There was a good thread about the tool steel lifters on hear a few months ago. Might want to try a search and see what comes up. I like what I read about them, and they are much more affortable than the Smiths.
George Mirza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #38
Jim Hanig

Liked 97 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfpam View Post
Bob Gullet,
I have his number at my shop. I have been a dealer of the SM lifters since 2007. If you call me at my shop, I can give you his contact info.
Like B&B said, I have had no reported problems with SMITHS Lifters. I have sold over 75 sets since 2007. I have never had a problem getting in touch with Bob. I just talked to him last week when I ordered another set. He said that he was sick for a couple of weeks, maybe that is why he was hard to get in touch with.
Not doubting what GTX John or some other people posted(anything is possible and everyone has made a mistake), but you have to have everything else set up for these lifters for them to work. Also, there were many problems with the original shubecks, but the SM lifters are diff
Jeff Day
Are you sure about that Jeff what is every thing set up.? Some guys have not had trouble with them. becks or smith and other have if there is a setup for them lets hear it. Jim Hanig

Last edited by Jim Hanig; 04-23-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Jim Hanig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #39
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im guessing that the problems are coming from: too much ramp, too much RPM(Valve float) and not enough spring, is what causes the problems... Everything has a limit...even roller cams... i would like to hear from all the guys that arent having trouble with Smiths or even older Shubecks...These are guys that are probably running less than 7k through the traps...
Old 04-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #40
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Im guessing that the problems are coming from: too much ramp, too much RPM(Valve float) and not enough spring, is what causes the problems... Everything has a limit...even roller cams... i would like to hear from all the guys that arent having trouble with Smiths or even older Shubecks...These are guys that are probably running less than 7k through the traps...
We run the Smith lifters in both of our motors and go through the traps at 7600-7800 and have had no trouble.