HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Stock/Super Stock Associations > Can-Am Stock Super Stock Series

Old 09-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
dragracer502

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default Could we have reached the point of no return?

To the point....I feel I need to raise the question to all Can Am racers, Has Cayuga reached a point where we should no longer be racing there? Please allow me to preface this statement with some personal information that may add validity to my opinons. This is my first year racing my own car in Can Am, but I have been at the race track with everything from a street car to a national record holding Pro Mod, for more than 20 yrs now (I am getting old!). So I feel safe in saying I have been there and done that all across the continent, and had the fortune to see and use almost every level of race track out there. I live within a 35min tow to Cayuga, it costs me $40 for the round trip, trailer in tow. It is truley my "home" track (I not only grew up there but spent a few great summers working there). All this having been said, after this labour day weekend, I honestly feel that Cayuga has reached a point where The Can Am series deserves better. This will never win me a popularity contest for sure, but I feel it needs to be said. After a weekend of double talk at the gate to get in, non functioning timing systems, seemingly needless delay after delay, and ultimately the unfortunate loss of one of our cars, I am saying enough is enough. I am ready to travel farther at greater cost to race at a better facility. In the same way that Can Am came about to improve options for racers, it is time to use our unity to influence an improvement or take our substancial business and consistantly professional level of racing else where......................please share your thoughts
Frank Federico G/CM Camaro. 1812
dragracer502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
dragracer502

Default Re: Could we have reached the point of no return?

I really want to make it clear that I am in NO way pointing fingers or commenting negatively on the work done by Fred, Murry, or ANY of the staff at Cayuga. Our leadership in Can Am is second to none and I have faith that decisions will continue to be made 100% to best serve the racers. Also, I realize the reality that so many of the staff at Cayuga do so much for the racer with so little. When it is obvious that "hands are tied" I feel very reluctant to point out short falls, but what I believe is we should not be silent about these issues any more. We all have too much time, energy, sacrifice, and expense invested in our cars and equipment to subject them and ourselves to needless risk.

Please, if I am wrong or way out to lunch, or if I am saying anything oyu have been thinking.........comment and let me know
Old 09-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
Johnny U

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Re: Could we have reached the point of no return?

I totally agree with what you are saying Frank. In the past when we did not pay at the I could understand some of the bs. that was thrown our way. But now that we pay to enter I feel that we deserve more respect. We continually have the largest class of cars and the best looking ones there and they could market a weekend after our class but we continue to seem to butt heads with the staff at TMP for no reason. I'm with you as I have no problem driving a little to race. Maybe next year we should all go to the race in Sanair on Labour Day weekend and then you will have virtually no cars there on Labour Day next year.
Johnny U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
CrateCamaro

Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts

Frank I agree 100%

The staff at TMP is definitly top notch and we do get respect from them on a certain level but the track is showing some age. When I asked a track official who takes care of the timing system he said he didnt know....wrong answer. Now all the skill and experience that we have on that track (where most of us have sharpened our teeth) is out the door because of "lazy beams" and a malfunctioning timing equipment. I feel that this should be taken care of asap. Because we support that track, and so do alot of other racers and classes, I feel that the track should step up to the plate. Clean the place up and fix what needs to be fixed....never mind bs.

Unfortunatly I believe that the track employees are hand cuffed. The owner needs to hear about all this as well. Its going to be his decision at the end of the day. They lost NHRA....they lost IHRA....now we have nothing. There is no reason why we cant have an IHRA divisional race there.

If we want something done we will have to start a petition or have a sit down with the big dogs and see what we can do. They have a chance to be a top notch place but when the timing equipment isnt working we might as well go back to flag starts and stop watches.
CrateCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
Pat6868

Liked 66 Times in 21 Posts

You 're pointing out how a lot of racers feel Frank. Fred and the Can Am crew put on way too nice a show to have to put up with with this crap.I race at Lancaster (Dunn Tire R.P.) quite often. Their program puts Cayuga's to shame. Pat STK6868.
Pat6868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
Dave Turner
VIP Member

Liked 331 Times in 131 Posts
Unhappy Re: Could we have reached the point of no return?

Inciteful words Frank; opinions and concerns equally held by Can Am participants, as well as countless TMP competitors.....including this racer.

I do this for FUN and challenge.
It's FUN when I win.
It's still FUN when I lose and I congratulate my opponent.
It's FUN to drive the car to a performance best.
It's even FUN to fix your ride if it breaks.
It's FUN to watch the celebrations after an event comes to a SAFE conclusion.

I control most of the FUN.....the track should be in charge of the SAFE.

I travel a little bit, not nearly as often as some. Other facilities "get it".

Why do we put up with less??
Dave Turner #3110
D & E/SA ‘72 Mustang
Dave Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
CrateCamaro

Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts

I have to agree...Lancaster does put on a good show but there is no reason why Cayuga cannot do the same. I went there two weeks ago and almost felt rushed in the lanes but they want to put cars through and get the show done. There is way to many times when there should be cars going down the track and their isnt. But they definitly know how to send cars down in a the rain.

Cayuga cannot race untill 11am I believe on sundays. (correct me if im wrong) So why not start calling cars to the lanes at 10:30? I was really upset when they called the Saturday race because of the weather. I think it stopped raining at 6 or 7. But what really made me mad is the fact that there was noone trying to figure out the problems with the timing system.Why not do some track maintenance from 7 untill its complete? And if you dont know ask over the PA system (that noone can hear anyways) if there is anyone who knows about photo cells. Im sure I can Google it right now and know everything there is to know about photo cells.

Im sick of having a second,third ,and fourth rate dragstrip for my home track. I can deal with the pits looking like a construction zone but I cant handle when the track is a disaster.

Also....having 5 girls in one booth to let cars in is total BS....i love pulling up to 65 trucks and trailers parked on Kohler Rd waiting to get in. I guess they will open a second and 3rd gate when someone gets hit by a car and they are killed. 3 booths need to be open...2 for racers and 1 for spectators...PERIOD. And 3 kids with the sign in wavor sheet. Take a lane and get everyone signed in. Im done bitching...i still love Cayuga but we definitly need something to be done before it gets out of hand.
CrateCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #8
lorne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yep i know what your saying.i was there saturday and more of the same timing system malfuntion and another mishap maybe time to look elswhere if they dont smarten up.
lorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
dragracer502

Post Re: Could we have reached the point of no return?

So I do know enough to know that no solutions are possible without getting our concerns to the real decision makers, and that would be ownwership. I also know that will be a bit of a task, but if we realy want to see change then its a neccessary one. In the mean time I have a small scale action that may relieve some of our concerns in the short time. When the schedule is put together for the Cam Am 2011, lets try as much as possible to avoid Cayuga any weekends when they have another "show" happening. I love seeing the Pro Mods as much as anyone, and the Jet cars a very cool for bringing friends or family to the track who have never been there before. But I feel like on those type of weekends the staff at Cayuga, from top to bottom have their heads other places than looking after stock / super stock. Besides if we race the weekend before Labour Day we would be free to run that full on assult on Indy!
One other thing.......it has been pointed out to me by some fellow members that there are those amung us who could be called "slow" to answer the call to the lanes, giving track staff the chance or excuse to have us waiting while they switch to run another class. So to avoid me or Jamie or heaven help us....Tony running up and down the line of trailers calling "last one in buys....." lets take control of our own runs as much as possible and get the hell in the lanes when we are called!
PS. I will name names on this if need be.....so dont make me be the bad guy
Old 09-15-2010, 07:36 AM   #10
Ian Hill

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Looking at it from a different approch, and most likely this is for the decision makers, but if we went to a Saturday race day when no other association was there, would the track prep be there for us? Last year we didn't pay to enter, this year its 15 bucks. Does any of the $100 entery fee go to the track? i don't know this answer, but if not i gotta figure the lanes would be preped similar to a friday night. Back when i was bracket racing i remember the payouts working out to 40-50% of the pot and much worse if the car count went up believe it or not. this was all to cover costs - employees, track prep, maintenance (which is obviously low on the list) insurance and profit. Regular sunday bracket days maybe the answer to having a good track and low costs.

I left the last sunday races discussed with the track as well. i have said it many times, i am loving the series and looking forward to purchasing a super stocker this winter. I will go where ever the Can Am Series runs!

Ian Hill
67 Chevelle Stocker
Ian Hill is offline   Reply With Quote