HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 09-10-2018, 05:36 PM   #281
beetlejuice560

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Modified Eliminator Wars in the 70's

I grew up in the 70's and was a big fan of Modified. Class was gone by the time I started racing. How did Modified work? Handicap start with each class having an index. Was is similar to Comp with no breakout but if you run X number under you index, you would reset the index of that class? Thanks. Great pictures. Makes me remember the times watching Modified at Green Valley and Dallas International Motor Speedway.
beetlejuice560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #282
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts

In the early days a Modified car ran off the National record, then later off a Nat. index, in both cases it was flat out to the finish line. IHRA Modified, I believe was the same in the beginning then changed to the index system with no breakout.
Hacksaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:28 PM   #283
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

modified ran off of the national record then later on off of an "index" type of racing--there was no breakout flat out first guy there wins---NHRA are you listening???--it was **x** number of pounds per cubic inch classification-- It was modified production/gas classes--any way a few guys me included figured that some of the Gas classes had either a better record(softer) to run off of and the weights/pounds per cubic inch might be more favorable to them--Modified production cars could cross over and run in the gas classes but a gasser could not run as an MP because of the rules limitations---287 CI to 339 inches-- 4/5 speed trans --600/717 geared rear ends --3200-3700 pounds --flat out from the water box to the finish line---NO BS racing --you had to live it and see it --nothing like it exists today
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #284
mopar68
VIP Member

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FED 387 View Post
modified ran off of the national record then later on off of an "index" type of racing--there was no breakout flat out first guy there wins---NHRA are you listening???--it was **x** number of pounds per cubic inch classification-- It was modified production/gas classes--any way a few guys me included figured that some of the Gas classes had either a better record(softer) to run off of and the weights/pounds per cubic inch might be more favorable to them--Modified production cars could cross over and run in the gas classes but a gasser could not run as an MP because of the rules limitations---287 CI to 339 inches-- 4/5 speed trans --600/717 geared rear ends --3200-3700 pounds --flat out from the water box to the finish line---NO BS racing --you had to live it and see it --nothing like it exists today
If I recall correctly, back when the cars ran off the national record, you had a .10 of a second cushion, i.e., if your car ran one-tenth of a second below the record during eliminations, you lost except in the final round where it was an all-out run where your ET became the new national record in your class.

Or did this apply only to Stock and Super Stock Eliminators? I'd have to dig out my old car mags to double check something I'd don't feel like doing at the moment 'cause I've got my feet up on the edge of my desk and relaxing.

Pete

Last edited by mopar68; 09-13-2018 at 06:34 PM.
mopar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:58 PM   #285
mopar68
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Missle View Post
A few pictures of the Flash at Columbus.....Plus we hosted driver Butch Leal, Gil Kirk (The Rod Shop), Joe Pappas (Don Carlton Mopar Missile crew chief), Carrol Fink (SS/EA Hemi Cuda convertible), Greg Charney (Retired Chrysler Powertrain Engineer - 9-second street legal 68 Dart), Al Adam (Mopar Missile team member; invented the 069J torque converter), Tom Coddington (Mopar Missile team member & Original Ramcharger), Mike Kayrouz (Leal '65 SS/B) and Magrath Kean (Billy the Kid Stepp Demon).

[IMG]

Looks fantastic! Congratulations on a top-notch restoration/resurrection!

Pete

P.S. What was Butch's reaction? Any of his comments you'd like to share with us?

Last edited by mopar68; 09-13-2018 at 06:00 PM.
mopar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:06 PM   #286
mopar68
VIP Member

D-Gas 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona. A very heavy and unusual car for this class. I have no idea if its an original Hemicar but for sure it had a 426 HEMI under the hood.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:38 PM   #287
mopar68
VIP Member

Speaking of very heavy and unusual D-Gas cars, check out this parts breaker.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:44 PM   #288
Ghost Missle

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar68 View Post
Looks fantastic! Congratulations on a top-notch restoration/resurrection!

Pete

P.S. What was Butch's reaction? Any of his comments you'd like to share with us?
Thanks Pete!

Butch had the best time from the minute he arrived. He even stayed into Sunday. I heard him telling people several times that the right guys got the car and he was extremely pleased with the result. He has called every few days since and we have some deals cooking where show promoters have offered to help out with expenses if he comes out again. He really wants us to bring the car to SEMA which means a tow to Vegas so that is still in the works. He had quite a few friends stop by and Gill Kirk sat down beside him for a couple of hours on Saturday. Carroll Fink stopped by to visit and promised to bring to his SS/EA Hemi Cuda convertible next year. He joked that it's only 20 minutes up the road and that he ought to just drive it there!

Ever since we started putting up the Nat's tent (40 x 120) I have been on a mission to get all of the Missile cars there at the same time. We have had Arnie's Challenger and his Wire Car brought by Joe Pappas every year, Ben Donhoff's original Missile Duster two years and E.B. Merritt's Missile Cuda one year. It's like herding cats though and the best I have been able to do so far is three at once. Mcgrath Kean was going to bring his Fon's Missile Duster this year too but the truck driver was tied up (he did manage to bring a Billy Stepp Duster). We shall redouble efforts for next year!

Old 09-14-2018, 07:00 PM   #289
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

That car is truly a work of art from the heart. Hope to see it in person someday. Congratulations!
Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:56 AM   #290
Ghost Missle

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie A View Post
That car is truly a work of art from the heart. Hope to see it in person someday. Congratulations!
Thank you Charlie. If we get out somewhere next year I'll try to let you know.