HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #1
J R Petersen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default NHRA and there games with manufaturers

I went to Joliet this last Friday to watch the first couple of rounds of stock and superstock and see all my friends that I haven't seen in the last few years because I can't afford to run stock a lot. After 1st round of stock and superstock I went to the midway to see all the parts they use to display and talk to all the salepeople I deal with. There were not hardly any there. NO TCI--NO COMP CAMS-NO TURBO ACTION-NO LUNATI-NO MOPAR PERFORMANCE TRAILER-NO FORD PERFORMANCE TRAILER-NO RICHMAN TRAILER,AND A LOT MORE WERE MISSING. I called a couple of the people that I normally stop and see at these events and they told me NHRA has raise the cost of parking and displaying so much that they can't afford to come with the lack of sales at these races. WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT. I thought these races were to help sell parts to people coming to watch-get information to help figure what you need for parts and show the true sportsman races what new product they have. BEST PART OF THE RACE WAS WATCHING MIKE KOPPIEN IN THE CAMARO STAND IT ON THE BUMPER FIRST ROUND, CARRY IT OUT ALMOST 400 FEET ,RUN .02 OVER HIS DIAL AND WIN THE ROUND. The pictures on here are great but nothing tops being in the stands except being in the car!!!!!!!

J R Petersen
J R Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:15 PM   #2
Larry Sullivan

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Koppien's tail-dragger at Joliet was a lot shorter than the one at Topeka - Joliet was 400 feet if you include the bounces and wiggly part. In Topeka the wheels were still all the way up when he went past the 330-foot timing block. I was one of the lucky ones who got to see both of them!

- Larry
Larry Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:57 PM   #3
Bruce Fulper

Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts

Larry - you need to place a small video camera in the window for S and S/S ! Some of this priceless stuff could get recorded.

"The future isn't what it used to be."
Bruce Fulper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:45 AM   #4
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Dont hi jack the post to discuss the wheel stand. Even though it might be great. The topic of cost to Manufacturers and the down grading of the event when they are not present should be a major concern for racers and spectators.
A big part of the event is the fact everything is in one place. Racing, Cars, Manufacturers , T-Shirts etc etc. It has always been a "circus" type atmosphere. If one component is discouraged then it can be a negative vibe for everyone. Sellling some things at the events can be helpful to the RACERS never mind the Manufacturers. Need a tire? Need Fuel? need some Moroso part? Trans help? Who will repair that expensive rear end without shipping it to somewhere?
These events need the WHOLE picture to help everyone in our sport not just pay the overhead for the event. Sponsors and Racers included.
Will it change now NHRA sold ? Hope so.
Drag racing is a "team sport" and the Manufacturer is definitely on the team. We all need each other for the sport to continue and grow.
Dick

Dick Butler 3529
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:59 AM   #5
DIAPERMAN

Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

DRE ENGINE DIAPERS is a small company that makes a safety item that NHRA is wanting on every car ,there is no way we could rent a spot at a national event or join the contengancy program.Thats why most of the manufacturers are gone.

WWW.ENGINEDIAPERS.COM
DIAPERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:15 AM   #6
Ron Ortiz

Liked 255 Times in 87 Posts

I can't imagine what the price of some of those spots on the midway cost. The food and drink vendors are paying a high price too. Some of the venues are operated by Centerplate, who also run a whole lot of other different operations (some MLB teams, etc) They have to charge so much for their services, AND have to give the organization a really big cut.
Example, I was attempting to put individual beef jerky servings into the Tampa Bay Devil Rays stadium Tropicana Field. I offered them a price that they would make over 50% on each item. It should come out to about $3.00 for the sale. I was informed by Centerplate that they would have to charge in excess of $8.00 per so they could give the Devil Rays their cut and still make some profit Think anyone is going to buy a stick (ounce) of beef jerky for eight bucks, right!
Food vendors inventory is taken before the event and then calculated after for amount of sales. Some years ago at the Gators I believe it was 35% - 40% of the GROSS. And you wonder why it's $2.50 for a bottle of water.
I'll bet that the price for space is astronomical now. Only the pro teams can afford it now, $30. for a tee shirt.

Ron Ortiz
U/SA pork butt on a stick $6.00 eating it, unforgetable, emitting it at at a little john, priceless.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Thanks to TOP/SS and TOP/STK sponsors. I know they are pinched by the Association and they still have been kind enough to help us with our Heads up racing project in both S and SS. We are grateful to everyone who has helped get this started. If we can help create a "show" and draw some extra spectators who buy products to repay the sponsors thats what it is all about.
We are all in this game together and if some one kills the golden goose then everyone will suffer. I hope the associations will remember internet sales and advertising is taking over the direct sales and unfortunately there will be a point where NONE of the sponsors care to support Drag racing at the track and that would be major loss to the events and spectators as well as the racers and the organization.
Thank our sponsors too. Thanks

Dick Butler 3529
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:06 PM   #8
tpoh815

Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts

and we are suprised by this .... because?

Old 06-12-2007, 01:24 PM   #9
Kyle Fickler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As a manufacturer that displays on the NHRA midway I will be the first to admit that the midway has changed over the years, but most of the rigs not at Joliet were on the Hot Rod Power Tour. The actual cost to display has not changed significantly over the years, but the cost to get the rig has gone up considerably as we all know.

Kyle Fickler
Aeromotive, Inc.

Kyle Fickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:51 PM   #10
sg1838

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
As a manufacturer that displays on the NHRA midway I will be the first to admit that the midway has changed over the years, but most of the rigs not at Joliet were on the Hot Rod Power Tour. The actual cost to display has not changed significantly over the years, but the cost to get the rig has gone up considerably as we all know.

Kyle Fickler
Aeromotive, Inc.
Kyle,

Thanks for the information, but this in of itself speaks volumes about the problem. Why is it that these manufacturers chose to go to on the Hot Rod Power Tour rather than the NHRA National Event at Joliet (and probably Topeka too because these two events overlapped with the Hot Rod Power Tour)? I'll tell you why, because they believed they could make more money from attending the Hot Rod Power Tour rather than the NHRA National Event at Joliet (and Topeka).

So, the question now is, why did they come to this conclusion? Does the Hot Rod Power Tour really draw more spectators than two NHRA National events? Let's not forget that at Joliet there were approximately 500 captive sportsman competitors alone at the track, with another 400 or so at Topeka, and I'm sure more than a few of them were looking to buy parts. I don't know how many participants and spectators were in attendance at the Hot Rod Power Tour, but it would have to be significant to outdraw a single NHRA national event, let alone two.

But, even if it did, the cost to exhibit still plays into the decision to attend. So, if attendance at the NHRA national events was going to be slightly higher, but would also carry a significantly higher cost to exhibit, then the manufacturers would have an easy decision on their hands as to where they should go.

I'd love to see real numbers, but in the end it doesn't really matter because I know the decision was made by these companies to go to on the Hot Rod Power Tour because they felt they could make more money there...

Jason Oldfield
S/G & S/ST 1838
sg1838 is offline   Reply With Quote