HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #171
Terry Drinkwater

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Mopars Little A Body Terrors...

Back in the day (IHRA), there used to be a Duster out of Atmore which I believe was owned by a man named Kenneth Ellison, who also ran an engine building shop and built a lot of Mopar engines. The driver was a guy named Doug, can't remember last name. The car was called "The Featherduster", maybe someone on here remembers it or has some photos. It was a very cool looking car and held several IHRA Super Stock records.

Last edited by Terry Drinkwater; 05-04-2018 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Accuracy
Terry Drinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:33 PM   #172
Curt Rees

Liked 226 Times in 47 Posts
Unhappy Re: Mopars Little A Body Terrors...

I finally got my A56 where I could make a good pass. I made the 300 mile trek to KRP at Kearney, NE.

I made 4 14 second passes. The best being a 14:740. With the altitude factor, this equates to a 14:50. This is what the car ran in 1969, that was my goal.

The only downer to the weekend was a deer/towing accident on the way home. The deer is dead, the 'Cuda slid on the open trailer, came over the front of the trailer and smacked the tailgate. I limpted the whole rig 70 miles home. It is setting in the local Dodge dealer's shop now.. We will do damage assessment Monday. It is repairable and could have been much worse.

Curt Rees
Old 10-13-2014, 11:34 PM   #173
bigsixman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that Curt, that is a very nice little Mopar that you have. Did the deer strike the cuda or did it move on the trailer with the inpact to to tow vehicle?
Old 10-13-2014, 11:45 PM   #174
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wink Re: Mopars Little A Body Terrors...

Sorry to hear about the accident, Curt. Like you said, it could've been a lot worse. At least you got to go out and make some passes and have some fun. Who'd of thought way back in the day, when you decided to turn the car loose, that someday in the future you'd be doing this with it all over again! In my opinion,, the "cool factor" on that alone is through the roof!
I know you'll enjoy it some more,, perhaps tweak it a little here and there and try to pick it up some. Its been a great story to follow,, I've enjoyed it. Take care.
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #175
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

Keep your eye on the prize!

What I think amazing here is your appreciation that the accident could have been much worse. Not to take away from the challenge of fixing the car and tow vehicle but your attitude about it all is uplifting.
Great story so far and this is a lesson for us all. The tests are always coming.
Post up pics when you can. Here is the subject for those that do not know:

Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #176
Wayne W

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Drinkwater View Post
Back in the day (IHRA), there used to be a Duster out of Atmore which I believe was owned by a man named Kenneth Ellison. The driver was a guy named Doug, can't remember first name. The car was called "The Featherduster", maybe someone on here remembers it or has some photos. It was a very cool looking car and held several Super Stock records.
Wasn't there a Chevy powered Duster by that name that run in a gas class in the 70s ? I'm sure I read about it in Chevy Power or some such magazine in the mid 70s.
Wayne W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:55 PM   #177
Curt Rees

Wink Re: Mopars Little A Body Terrors...

I did not tie the back end of the car down to the trailer. When I hit the brakes trying to avoid the deer, the car slid forward and hit the back end of the pickup. the front wheels ended up over the front of the trailer. If the car had not moved, the inertia would have caused the trailer to jack knife and roll everything.

My pickup damage was $2400 and $1000 to the 'Cuda. Everything mechanically seems to be OK on the 'Cuda, I will have it aligned. It runs fine.

I have good insurance, the adjuster approved my 'Cuda claim in an hour. It did not hurt that he had bought a 70 440 6-pak 'Cuda when he was a kid at 20 years back!

There are 2 deer seasons in South Dakota, one with rifles and one with autos. I have now claimed 2 in 2 years with my pickups, none with my rifles. Enough!

Curt Rees
Old 10-14-2014, 09:20 PM   #178
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

"did not tie the rear end of the car down" Ouch. Know a man who never tied his car on the trailer......Almost lost it all on a six lane highway, touched all three his direction and still didn't lose the car.
One of our customers who had a beautiful SG car brought his car for 4 link adjustment. He always tied the front and his son tied down the rear in their enclosed trailer. Problem, the son didn't come with him. Yes it was loose in the trailer for many miles of stop and start. Needed lots of 'glass and front end rebuild...
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:20 PM   #179
Curt Rees

Thumbs up Re: Mopars Little A Body Terrors...

I rolled my '66 Chevy 4 door SS/NA in 2000. It was tied at all 4 corners. I blew a tire on my pickup, acted the same as hard braking. The trailer jack knifed, it came loose from the pickup, or it would have rolled the truck also.

I will never know what would have happened if the 'Cuda was tied at all 4 corners. I am just happy no more damage resulted then what I have. Both vehicles are still road worthy, just some bent metal. Plus the local Coyotes got a good meal.......

Curt Rees
Old 05-07-2016, 07:04 PM   #180
mopar68
VIP Member

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts