HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2023, 10:46 PM   #1
Cglrcng

Liked 131 Times in 68 Posts
Smile A 30 year journey, and a 2nd chance.

A tiny bit of history. (Though lived about 3 miles from Lions in the 60's early in life, fan of the biggies (I loved Fuel Cars...Bernstein, Prudhome, Ivo, Garlits, you name it), 1st bracket raced starting after high school at O.C.I.R. in 1975 through the late 80's (I Won my first Wally Div. Bracket 3 Heavy Champ 1984-in a 250 car field. 2 teams A and B from each track (20 cars per team), from every participating track in the entire Western Div.6- it was the 1 year they did away with NHRA Div. 7 and combined it with Div. 6 and it was the magic year of my bracket racing career, track champ at multiple tracks (O.C.I.R. the last year, Famoso, Carlsbad, LA County, and another that escapes me), also towed to the Florida Winter E.T. Series in 83, 84, and 85 and found success(Best of Runner-Up 2K win in another 250 car field just weeks after winning my first Wally in 84 at Moroso Motorsports Park after driving 3 days from CA to West Palm Beach, with the same 63 Dodge Polara others there named the "Big White Refrigerator", against a lot of very fast company in sleek new button leaving diggers (Does Johnny Labouse and Scotty Richardson ring any bells), as I was foot braking my bracket car at 12.00 Flat (no cage or rollbar) and then made the first failed but super fun attempt at class racing in 1994-1997, I was somewhat competitive but the car certainly was not, it was the absolute slowest car in the category running in GF/SA).

Who inspired me to attempt Class Racing in Stock someday? Chad Langdon, and another who drove his Stocker Pinto wagon from SoCal to Indy (racing it in Stock, then driving it back home, and lived a short dream of racing at The Big Go. And in Super Stock the original builder of my winning at the time (mid 80's time period), bracket car (a whit/blue 63 Dodge Polara), Peter Berkuta....and Later none other than GTX John Irving, and am so glad to see he and Jon are still at it and so active after all these years living the dream.

Am rejoining Yac and Nees with a very old slow sled project, last raced actively in the 1990's purchased a car in the family since new dealer purchased Feb. 2 1985 w/27K on the odometer in April of 1993 (last active Feb. 1997 Atsco Nationals Phx, AZ, GF/SA Class Finalist, and really glad the winner is still active albeit a quarter of a century later).

What is the combination? The slowest and most underpowered sled I think to ever attempt the mission, but too late now to back out, what is done is done, and this newbie decided to move forward.

A 1984 Dodge Daytona 2.2L/135 C.I. TBI 99HP (single point Upright Bosch injected...NON-Turbo snail), 2 door hatchback).

How did it become a Stocker? Mom bought the car as a daily driver from Cerritos Dodge in SoCal Feb. 1995 (build date 3rd week Dec. 1984, Uncommon Block EFI, w/A/C...Silver/Silver), she drove it first 27K miles and was forced to retire in a AAA downsize in 1993, and was moving to AZ, I bought it for my wife (for 3K), as a daily, and 3 weeks later she asked if it could be raced in Stk. Elim.?

The next weekend I was at Carlsbad Raceway to find out....(continued).

Edited and reposted from Yac's Newbie post/thread. After a few auto logouts I am going to break up my build thread and journey into smaller posts...high time to quit junking up his thread.

Next up a few pics, and I have a ton along the way.
Cglrcng is offline   Reply With Quote