Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-31-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Crank Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigo Perf View Post
Where can I get a time slip printer for my car?
You don't need one. Come up with some numbers on your own, post them on-line and eventually they will become fact. Happens all the time.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,494 Times in 426 Posts

What about if your motor lives in the 8500+ rpm range would it be better to have one? We both run 289 I run the trigger and he doesn't but both cars are very consistent.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:42 PM   #13
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

If you really have a race car where every .001 counts, and the rules allow a crank trigger, you should have one. The simple fact that a crank trigger is more stable, it has to be, should tell you there is something there.
Personally, I believe if someone that has never tried one, but denounces them, have no business saying you don't need one. For all they know, their car could be faster with one installed. But they'll never know...

From my own experience, the two best things I can say about going from Stock to Superstock, aside from the extra 100 HP, was the shaft mounted T&D rockers over the OEM stamped steel rockers and the crank-triggered ignition. Both made the car more stable in their job and the result was a smoother running engine. And I probably have a better distributor system than most in Stock in areas that promote more accurate secondary ignition triggering than most out there.

In my opinion, there is no way a crank-triggered ignition system CAN NOT be better than a distributor triggered system. You throw a timing chain in there, cam twist and or flex, meshing of two gears, oil pump issues, valve-train issues (spring pressures, harmonics, etc.), etc.,....I'm all ears if you think you can convince me the crank-trigger ignition is "maybe as good but not better" than a distributor triggered ignition.

My new ignition is for Stock and I'll be using an ICE Ignition which is a hall-effect system. I don't hear much about that but I believe it is a better system than the monkey see, monkey do MSD system. But I could be wrong. But I will test both systems on the dyno. Then I will know, not guess.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:40 AM   #14
Maverick

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

I always ran a billet distributor for years with a curve in the distributor, and I finally went to the crank trigger and programmable ignition before I started this season. Had to have some machine work on my crank mandrel to fit the wheel on the front of the balancer, and also upgraded the ignition boxes. I picked up a lot. Too much in fact. I run the car in super gas and I don't run a throttle control, I change the shift points for the five speed, using a automated programmable shifter. It was too fast for what I was trying to do, and then I retarded the timing to slow it down, and that worked ok, until, the weather changed big time. Still trying to come up with a programmable curve, so I can control things the way I want. Got close this last two weekends, but then started spinning the tires when it got real hot. Crank triggers are a little bit more expensive, but you can do a lot more with them. I will never go back to a distributor controlled ignition, unless it is on the street car that I am trying to get back to.
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #15
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 398 Times in 189 Posts

Unless the op is racing Pro Stock, Pro Mod, Comp Eliminator or turning 9000 RPM in a super stocker looking for that last .01, a crank trigger is worth NOTHING on the time slip compared to a properly functioning locked out billet distributor.

Last edited by 1320racer; 09-01-2013 at 08:03 AM.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #16
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
Unless the op is racing Pro Stock, Pro Mod, Comp Eliminator or turning 9000 RPM in a super stocker looking for that last .01, a crank trigger is worth NOTHING on the time slip compared to a properly functioning locked out billet distributor.
You don't know what your talking about. You read it or heard it somewhere and now it is gospel to you. And I'm sure about now you'll tell us you tried one and it didn't help.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #17
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
You don't know what your talking about. You read it or heard it somewhere and now it is gospel to you. And I'm sure about now you'll tell us you tried one and it didn't help.
Jeff, he is a bracket racer that doesn't even build his own engines, but he knows more about all this stuff than we do. He can't run faster than the shoe polish number if he has a heads up. No need to chase hundredths. Just change the shoe polish. He knows just about everything, except how to find the et bracket section here.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #18
killintime6968

Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts

I am surprised he has not commented on Mexjoe's broken crankshaft ordeal.
killintime6968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #19
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 398 Times in 189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
he is a bracket racer that doesn't even build his own engines
you really think you're special. Newsflash, it's the year 2013 not 1963!

Over the next 4 months, Tilburg's, Gulius's, Watters's, Patterson's, Bischoff's and other's engine shops phones will be ringing off the wall and their shops full of the engines for and from the biggest and winingest names in class racing just as will Sunset's, Reher Morrison's, Par's, Shafiroff's, Schimdt's and others with their shops full of and building engines for the who's who of super comp, gas, street and bracket racing and you think you're special cause your "build" your own. Too ****** funny!

The truth is YOU buy your engine parts just like I do and the vast majority of class and bracket racers do, you pay a machine shop to do your machine work just like I do and the vast majority of class and bracket racers do...

Quote:
Starting on my last engine... Just getting too old for this *****.
Hauled the new Bowtie block up to Patterson's today for machining , and ordered pistons & rings.
Going to lighten the crank a tad.
you pay to have your engine dyno'd just like I do and the vast majority of class and bracket racers do so If your claim to fame is that you clean your parts, apply some assembly lube, check/set a few clearances, gap rings and torque a few bolts have it, all so you can attempt to impress the naive and clueless that you "build" your own engines...

Quote:
When the heads show up I can check valve-to-piston clearance. Then put it together.
don't worry, I won't tell anyone the truth!.

Further, last I checked when reading National Dragster, the NHRA doesn't award Wins, Wally's or $$ for those who's claim to fame is they built their engine! Fletcher along with the biggest names in NHRA Sportsman racing don't build their own engines but somehow, he just managed to win his 84th and 85th Wally.

Oh and btw, the vast majority of class and serious bracket racers don't build their cars, carbs, transmissions, converters and headers and neither do you!

What I KNOW is what works on the track, showing on the time slip and what just lightens your wallet!

Last edited by 1320racer; 09-02-2013 at 12:37 PM.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #20
Pedigo Perf

Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts

Two Eds, one brain.
Pedigo Perf is offline   Reply With Quote