HOME MAGAZINE FORUM RULES SPONSORS CONTACT
     
   
   
Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #81
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Where the Green Grass Grows, AL
Posts: 2,385
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Is this legal?

this thread is a prime example of just how lost NHRA tech is, as a whole. Different interpretations in different divisions, companies advertising it as accepted, etc.
__________________
Chad Rhodes 2113 I/SA
Chad Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #82
Wade_Owens
Senior Member
 
Wade_Owens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 578
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Is this legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Rhodes View Post
this thread is a prime example of just how lost NHRA tech is, as a whole. Different interpretations in different divisions, companies advertising it as accepted, etc.
Chad, the problem is, all of the tech guys have different interpretations on what they read, same as we racers do. Gray areas are black for some and white for others....

Wade O
Wade_Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #83
Rob Petrie E395
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Woodlawn IL
Posts: 877
Likes: 8
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Is this legal?

I have this exact setup in the car I am building for stock and on my bracket car. What I did is I drilled the plates that originally were to be welded to the floorpan for bolts. I then made another set of plates to go on the inside of the car and bolted it in sandwitching the floorpan between the two plates. I have made hundreds of runs in my bracket car and not had any problem with it moving or breaking bolts. I called out to NHRA in california this morning and have not heard back yet. I just got off the phone with Scott from S&W a few min. ago. He says it legal and NHRA has seen it and knows about it. In any case I hope they way I did mine is ok as it is bolted in with no welding. But I guess we will see for sure if I ever get it done and to the track.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #84
Chris1529
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 1,326
Likes: 3
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Is this legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Petrie E395 View Post
I have this exact setup in the car I am building for stock and on my bracket car. What I did is I drilled the plates that originally were to be welded to the floorpan for bolts. I then made another set of plates to go on the inside of the car and bolted it in sandwitching the floorpan between the two plates. I have made hundreds of runs in my bracket car and not had any problem with it moving or breaking bolts. I called out to NHRA in california this morning and have not heard back yet. I just got off the phone with Scott from S&W a few min. ago. He says it legal and NHRA has seen it and knows about it. In any case I hope they way I did mine is ok as it is bolted in with no welding. But I guess we will see for sure if I ever get it done and to the track.
what about the tabs on the axle housing? Are they welded? I don't have one on my car. I am just asking.
__________________
Chris Bowman
The Mountain State Mustang
1984 Mustang GT350
Chris1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #85
Notch1320
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Yuba City, CA
Posts: 220
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Is this legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1529 View Post
what about the tabs on the axle housing? Are they welded? I don't have one on my car. I am just asking.
Good question! The links bolt on to the tabs. I will ask (Div 7, Pat) for clarification.
__________________
Shawn Allsup
K/S 718
Notch1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #86
Rob Petrie E395
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Woodlawn IL
Posts: 877
Likes: 8
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Is this legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1529 View Post
what about the tabs on the axle housing? Are they welded? I don't have one on my car. I am just asking.
If you look down through this thread you will see a picture with a bracket that clamps around the axle tube. I have something similar to them.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #87
cicero819
VIP Member
 
cicero819's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Aylmer Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,063
Likes: 12
Liked 37 Times in 15 Posts
Default Re: Is this legal?

Billy Nees and Mark Yacavonne are right on the money. Rear sway bar is really an anti-roll device in the first place, in other words "it's the same thing. It must be a bolt on. You could use Camaro Z28 or Pontiac Formula sway bars since they came with these cars from the factory. S&W kit just moves the sway bar away fro the rear end and moves it between the upper frame rails(for sure not stock). I would go with the Formulas bigger rear sway bar. Claude
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #88
Notch1320
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Yuba City, CA
Posts: 220
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Is this legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notch1320 View Post
Good question! The links bolt on to the tabs. I will ask (Div 7, Pat) for clarification.

Below is the question and answer from Pat (Div 7) concerning anti-roll bar end link tabs being welded to the rear end housing.

Pat,

One last question concerning anti roll bars.

My question is concerning the adjustable anti roll bar links that go from the bar to the rear end housing.

On the housing side, can the tabs for the links be welded on to the housing axle tubes?

The links bolt to these tabs.

Thanks, Shawn



Shawn,

It is acceptable to weld the tabs to the axle tubes. Which is something that could/should be clarified in the rulebook.

Pat Cvengros
Pacific Division Technical Director
(626) 250-2295
__________________
Shawn Allsup
K/S 718
Notch1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright © Class Racer.com. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.Ad Management plugin by RedTyger