HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 07-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Oil pump question (Pontiac)

Curious as to what you stocker guys are runnin as far as max oil pressure at the traps... i have to real good oil pumps, one is Butler Select 80lb and other 10540 Melling(60 lb)... is it worth a few HP to run the lighter one? Or will my machinist recommend 80lbs and clearance accordingly? Just curious... this is a little different than a simple bracket engine... i wanna try and do as much right as i can... Goin for F/SA... i think my car might be a better fit in "F" instead of "E"... not sure yet... because im 230lbs, i will carrying some excess poundage...hehehe .... Y'all chime in if im wrong... thanks, Brent
Old 07-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts
Default Re: Oil pump question (Pontiac)

Hey Brent, just use your 10540 melling pump. You don't want 80 PSI of oil pressure. no need for an engine that your lucky will make 500 HP. A stock pump is more than enough. Our deal is about small gains, every little bit helps. Including extra drag from the oil pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent flynn View Post
Curious as to what you stocker guys are runnin as far as max oil pressure at the traps... i have to real good oil pumps, one is Butler Select 80lb and other 10540 Melling(60 lb)... is it worth a few HP to run the lighter one? Or will my machinist recommend 80lbs and clearance accordingly? Just curious... this is a little different than a simple bracket engine... i wanna try and do as much right as i can... Goin for F/SA... i think my car might be a better fit in "F" instead of "E"... not sure yet... because im 230lbs, i will carrying some excess poundage...hehehe .... Y'all chime in if im wrong... thanks, Brent
Old 07-17-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hoven View Post
Hey Brent, just use your 10540 melling pump. You don't want 80 PSI of oil pressure. no need for an engine that your lucky will make 500 HP. A stock pump is more than enough. Our deal is about small gains, every little bit helps. Including extra drag from the oil pump.
Thanks Todd, i figured that was the best thing to do... i have a Canton Pan for it.. as long as 10540 pump has oil to pick up, it will do the job... im tryin to get my ducks in a row... wantin to start on shortblock soon... Im lookin forward to this... just easin' into it!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
Knocky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My 73 SD 455 came with 80psi pump spring. We put in the 60 for street/strip use. But, I figure the factory knew what they were doing when they went to the trouble of the 80 with the special larger distributor gear to prevent premature wear of the gear. The Super Duty used that high pressure pump overcome the centrifugal forces of the long throw crank at 6000+ when the SD's anticipated use was Stk/Super Stock racing is what I understood... Butler or Nunzi should know!
Good luck with that Pontiac! Norris
Knocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
My 73 SD 455 came with 80psi pump spring. We put in the 60 for street/strip use. But, I figure the factory knew what they were doing when they went to the trouble of the 80 with the special larger distributor gear to prevent premature wear of the gear. The Super Duty used that high pressure pump overcome the centrifugal forces of the long throw crank at 6000+ when the SD's anticipated use was Stk/Super Stock racing is what I understood... Butler or Nunzi should know!
Good luck with that Pontiac! Norris
thanks knocky.... i think that the 60lb will suffice in the 400 shorter stroke engine... i was curious if bearing clearances might be opened up a tad(loosening things up some), and then running the 80lb setup... sounds like im goin with the 60lb...
Old 07-21-2011, 06:32 AM   #6
Knocky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Brent, yep the sd455 did have more clearances than standard 455s for sure...
Knocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:33 AM   #7
SCOTT SST2871

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ive run pontiac for 28 years and bracket race in florida so i race alot (year round) ive tried every pump available and what i use now has been the best for durability i use the melling pump with 60 lb spring but shim the spring with 1 or 2 hardened washers depending on bearing clearance (mine is loose).that was recomended to me by jim butler in tenn.my engine has been in the car for 3 seasons,i race 2 to 3 times a month i pulled it out after 2 seasons and the rods and mains looked like new and put it back in as is
scott fifield
SCOTT SST2871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #8
Dave Ribeiro
VIP Member

Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Wink Re: Oil pump question (Pontiac)

Brent,

I agree with Todd 100 % , you can't go wrong with the Mellings 540.
That's all I have run for 10-12 years, save your money for other things... Good Luck with your project ...