Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #11
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts
Default Re: Calculating oil pump requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
It would be slick if you could run a factory pump at a constant speed with n electric motor to measure how long it takes to pump a quart, or whatever. Do they rate them in gallon an hour, like a fuel pump? (I'm thinking not) Then do the same with your dry sump pump. Might be a trick to get an electric motor to run at a constant RPM with both pumps. May be easier to do it off a gasoline engine. It would be interesting to know if shortening the housing and impeller 10% would get a 10% drop in volume pumped.

During the 1980s I ran an "outlaw" sprint car on dirt, (didn't drive it, you can hire crazy people for that) with a Peterson dry sump set up. I felt like it was way more pump than I needed. Never did play with that, making enough power was never an issue. Always wondered about that pump. I'm sure it was over-kill in size to cover their tails.
Ed,
Oil pump flow is measured in GPM. The flow will vary based on the relief settings.
Your best best is to call the tech guys at Peterson or Dailey.
This link is a good article regarding engine bearing lubrication:

http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine...e_bearings.htm
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #12
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

suggestion ----Joe you know Brian Browell he runs a Chevy V6 call him run it by him a Ford or Chevy gotta be pretty similar I would think see what he says--or talk to Bob Huettman he could check wth some of the NASCAR guys see what they ran---FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #13
D. Hake 4459

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Years ago I modified some Melling m55 oil pumps for small block chevy stock eliminator engines. I cut the gears down and cnc machined a plate to go in the bottom to take up the space I also did some other modifications. I did some 1/4 " and some 3/8" pumps. The 3/8" pumps were worth 9 horsepower more than a m55 in back to back dyno tests.I was planning to tap into the bypass circuit and plumb in a flow meter to monitor bypass flow. About that time Schumann started making pumps and I was raising my son so I didn't have time to pursue it. If you can monitor bypass flow you could find out how much oil pump you need. Derek
Old 02-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #14
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Hake 4459 View Post
Years ago I modified some Melling m55 oil pumps for small block chevy stock eliminator engines. I cut the gears down and cnc machined a plate to go in the bottom to take up the space I also did some other modifications. I did some 1/4 " and some 3/8" pumps. The 3/8" pumps were worth 9 horsepower more than a m55 in back to back dyno tests.I was planning to tap into the bypass circuit and plumb in a flow meter to monitor bypass flow. About that time Schumann started making pumps and I was raising my son so I didn't have time to pursue it. If you can monitor bypass flow you could find out how much oil pump you need. Derek
I like the idea, since I've got 2 of these pumps I've wondered about cutting down the gears and putting a plate in the void. I believe it's a inch and a half pump section, which is how I believe they rate them (by body size) may be worth looking into. Maybe make it 1 inch?
Old 02-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #15
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzinhalfdozen View Post
I like the idea, since I've got 2 of these pumps I've wondered about cutting down the gears and putting a plate in the void. I believe it's a inch and a half pump section, which is how I believe they rate them (by body size) may be worth looking into. Maybe make it 1 inch?
I use Larry Stewart's low volume pumps. He does the same. Shortens the gears and machines a "stuffer" plate to fill the gap. Not sure how else you would do it without shortening the shaft.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #16
Signman

Liked 199 Times in 74 Posts

Have run the Stewart pump in my stocker. If you like make an offer and you can have it.

The Schuman pump is a good deal. You may need to do some fabrication to make their latest model work, you will not be disappointed.