HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-07-2019, 06:25 PM   #21
Steve Stasko

Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
Default Re: NHRA 2020 Rule Amendment SS Intakes???

I'd like to see a Chevrolet intake on a 383 Mopar. Two very different platforms, and there are plenty of decent enough Big Mopar intakes to not warrant the need for that.

That being said...on the Cadillac topic...Cad500parts.com has the answers to all your Cadillac high-performance questions.
Steve Stasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-07-2019, 07:41 PM   #22
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stasko View Post
I'd like to see a Chevrolet intake on a 383 Mopar. Two very different platforms, and there are plenty of decent enough Big Mopar intakes to not warrant the need for that.

That being said...on the Cadillac topic...Cad500parts.com has the answers to all your Cadillac high-performance questions.
When Dave Smith (ProTrans) and his brother ran their 383 'Cuda many years ago, it had an adapted BBC intake.

The BBC has a pitch of 4.84 and the Mopar BB has 4.80. The port runner layout for both is: 00 00

How about fitting a 351-C intake on an FE engine? It can be done with the adapter shown below:

Engine builders and racers can get creative in many ways.
Nevertheless, what is the fuzz all about when they allow sheet metal intakes?

As a matter of fact, Buicks are adapting Mopar intakes.

Last edited by SSDiv6; 12-07-2019 at 07:44 PM.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:36 PM   #23
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Question Re: NHRA 2020 Rule Amendment SS Intakes???

Didn't Ed Hamburger use to make and adapter to use a small block Chevy intake on a small block Mopar in the '70's?
Old 12-07-2019, 08:47 PM   #24
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Piatek View Post
Didn't Ed Hamburger use to make and adapter to use a small block Chevy intake on a small block Mopar in the '70's?
As a matter of fact, you are correct! There are a few of those adapters still around.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:51 PM   #25
Steve Stasko

Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts

I am familiar with the port layout of the Big Mopar and the Chevrolet. I was looking at it more from a width aspect, as I know the 383/400 uses a fairly wide intake. I know to use a RB Chrysler intake on a B motor, you need .85" plates on each side of the intake, as I tried a B-1 intake vs. a Mopar M-1 a number of years ago. Bringing up the 383 Mopar/Chevy intake thing is kind of irrelevant though if they aren't even running the car anymore?

As for the Buick...that started in the late 1960's/early 1970...I believe Kennedy Bell made the plates.
Steve Stasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:50 AM   #26
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james schaechter View Post
Why would that matter when sheet metal fab intakes are legal?
The intake manifold is not really the issue as I see it.

And, As I understand it, this is really just an attempt to stop creative port increases. If you don’t change the angle, then you would not be able cut as much off the head. to use a spacer as an extension of the intake port.

Maybe they should allow the heads with angles more than 2 degrees, but add in the volume of the spacer and add that to the port volume?

I am pretty sure anyone with heads that are modified that much know why they did it and what the rule means to them.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:52 AM   #27
BBF67

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Everyone knows there are bogus cylinder heads out there in S/S. Looks like the Tech dept has finally found a way to rid the class of heads that have been drastically cut at a severe angle on the intake side. Those bogus heads usually used a spacer plate to make up for the difference from the OEM angle. In the 2020 racing season it will be very interesting to see who shows up to race and who does not.
BBF67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #28
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,782 Times in 1,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBF67 View Post
In the 2020 racing season it will be very interesting to see who shows up to race and who does not.
Real Racers will race.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:53 PM   #29
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBF67 View Post
Everyone knows there are bogus cylinder heads out there in S/S. Looks like the Tech dept has finally found a way to rid the class of heads that have been drastically cut at a severe angle on the intake side. Those bogus heads usually used a spacer plate to make up for the difference from the OEM angle. In the 2020 racing season it will be very interesting to see who shows up to race and who does not.
Angle milling heads has been a machine shop operation since the 1960's. Nothing new.

There are even automotive machining charts that gives you the average amount of milling required on an intake manifold when you deck and square an engine block and when you mill cylinder heads for proper combustion chamber sizing.

By the way, when the runner volumes are measured, it is done without the spacer. An approach would be to weld the spacer to the intake or use a sheet metal intake. Nevertheless, after decades of allowing the use of intake spacers on intake manifolds and angle milled cylinder heads, they are suddenly illegal just months prior to the first race of 2020.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:55 PM   #30
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Real Racers will race.
What do you mean by "real racers"? Can you elaborate?

In my book, anyone that spends the money and time to race in Stock and Super Stock class, is a real racer.