Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-13-2019, 11:48 AM   #41
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts
Default Re: Locking 'Em Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkBrosMav View Post
Lenny this happens now.. I don't see how this is any different.
I see it as very different. In the typical 1-on-1 scenario, my opponent and I need to deal with the exact same conditions. The next pair may have their own unique challenges to deal with, but they both have the same challenges.

Quote:
With the current state of Stock Eliminator you could have a pair dialed about 8.00 all the way to like 16.00 (rounding for ease of illustration).. that means the slower guy has 8 seconds of track time where said gust of wind could come up and affect him where the fast guy is sitting stationary. With your argument the slow guy isn't getting a fair shot..
I wouldn't say what's happening to the slow guy there is unfair, but there is no doubt he made things more difficult for himself with his choice of combination.

That isn't to say that slow cars can't have success, and I like to see it.

Anyway, the whole fun of racing (for me) is what's happening going down the track in an elimination run. How did I feel on the tree? Everything feels/sounds good with the car? Where's he at? How's he coming? Where's the finish line? Is he going to get inside my window? Where's the finish line? If hitting the brakes is the move, where is my braking point?

That might all be in 4.6 seconds. Good stuff!

Hitting the tree and then holding my foot to the floor while praying I did my figures correctly just doesn't compare.

The shootouts for Super-class cars at divisionals is fun. See if you can be one of the top-8 on the index in a time run. It's a fun sideshow as long as we're making time runs anyway. Actually racing that way would take away far too much of the experience, for me. My opinion only, and worth what you paid for it.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:51 AM   #42
Rick Schilling

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

One of the things that is making this discussion difficult (regarding best packages) is the question... Are winners and losers determined by individual matchups, by the round, or for the entire event (as suggested earlier)?
Rick Schilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:03 PM   #43
HawkBrosMav

Liked 276 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
I see it as very different. In the typical 1-on-1 scenario, my opponent and I need to deal with the exact same conditions. The next pair may have their own unique challenges to deal with, but they both have the same challenges.

I wouldn't say what's happening to the slow guy there is unfair, but there is no doubt he made things more difficult for himself with his choice of combination.

That isn't to say that slow cars can't have success, and I like to see it.

Anyway, the whole fun of racing (for me) is what's happening going down the track in an elimination run. How did I feel on the tree? Everything feels/sounds good with the car? Where's he at? How's he coming? Where's the finish line? Is he going to get inside my window? Where's the finish line? If hitting the brakes is the move, where is my braking point?

That might all be in 4.6 seconds. Good stuff!

Hitting the tree and then holding my foot to the floor while praying I did my figures correctly just doesn't compare.

The shootouts for Super-class cars at divisionals is fun. See if you can be one of the top-8 on the index in a time run. It's a fun sideshow as long as we're making time runs anyway. Actually racing that way would take away far too much of the experience, for me. My opinion only, and worth what you paid for it.
I agree with you and that's why on almost every post I've stated I wouldn't want this to be the norm at all..

I just feel like as far as a competition weather you run back package out of X number of runs, best packages of the top half of each round or best back with a heads up start and staggered finish with the 1v1 style still they are no less competitive.. they are just different. And different in a way that it wouldn't take any less driving skill to win than our current format. They're simply a different format.

Heads up racing to me takes less driver skill and more tuner skill or more money.. simple as that.. it's fun in a class like S/SS because we have some major restrictions as to what is allowed and a relatively accurate way to categorize the varying combos into similar indexes.. but heads up unlimited classes typically the richest guy wins.. not always but typically.. this would be less fun to me.
HawkBrosMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:06 PM   #44
HawkBrosMav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Schilling View Post
One of the things that is making this discussion difficult (regarding best packages) is the question... Are winners and losers determined by individual matchups, by the round, or for the entire event (as suggested earlier)?

Rick I think any of these formats are possible with heads up package racing.. with our current staggered starts we could also you the same 3 formats we just don't. A lot of big $$ races use some form of the best package stuff as a "run for the money" bonus side show.. would be interesting to run an entire event this way once in a while
Old 12-13-2019, 01:15 PM   #45
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
I just feel like as far as a competition weather you run back package out of X number of runs, best packages of the top half of each round or best back with a heads up start and staggered finish with the 1v1 style still they are no less competitive.. they are just different. And different in a way that it wouldn't take any less driving skill to win than our current format.
Can you expand your thoughts on that bold part a little bit? I don't see how driving skill (as I think of driving skill) can be utilized whatsoever if there isn't an opponent to reference at the finish line.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #46
HawkBrosMav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
Can you expand your thoughts on that bold part a little bit? I don't see how driving skill (as I think of driving skill) can be utilized whatsoever if there isn't an opponent to reference at the finish line.
Things required to having driving skill:
1. Know how to start the car and make it move forward, backwards, and stop.
2. know how to do a burnout (without a 3-step)
3. Know how to stage... the same every single pass.
4. know how to consistently catch a good RT.
5. know how to shift car at correct shift points every pass without a shift assist.
6. Judge your position on the race track in comparison to the other car ***this skill doesn't actually need to be mastered to win a race***
7. Be able to decipher a time slip to accurately predict what the car will be doing from pass to pass and pick the right dial in.

So out of 7 fairly basic skills you need to be successful in Bracket Style racing the only one you don't actually need to be good at would be eliminated from the picture if you had a heads up start vs staggered..

If you can be good at that one skill you can increase the number of strategies available to you for any particular pairing. This may seem like it means you "have more skill," but now you've also increased the amount of ways you can find to lose that same said race..

It doesn't actually increase your chances of winning.. I could be just as successful in our sport never paying a single mind to you in the other lane if I can master going .000 on the tree and dialing the car correctly.. We've convinced ourselves that all these other strategies are the correct way to race, but in the end the only goal we have is to have a .000 total package.. the only reason the other strategies work so often is that MANY MANY racers actually suck at this sport.. they're happy when they have a .030 light and can run .01 off their dial.. a .040 package isn't very good. The reason we equate driver skill to finish line driving is because ALL the very successful racers do it.. it's a causation vs correlation thing.. "because the win all the time and don't dial hard and can run the finish line well that must make the definition of a good driver." I'd be just as impressed with you if you could go lay down a .010 pack every pass ignoring the car in the other lane.. and you'd win a hell of a lot of races..
Old 12-13-2019, 03:16 PM   #47
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,809 Times in 572 Posts

Well we all SUCK over at our house.......03 light and 1 off is about average
for Jr. and good pass for me!
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:27 PM   #48
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX JOHN View Post
Well we all SUCK over at our house.......03 light and 1 off is about average
for Jr. and good pass for me!
That ain't real bad and will get you some round wins.