HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 10-23-2017, 07:33 PM   #111
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Default Re: '67 El Camino H/SA

I can take the delay even though it was estimated at 2 months. What really bugs me is the lack of concern/communication after the deal. I'm not one to make constant phone calls/inquiries...just would like some idea/time frame so plans can be made at least on my end. Already missed several races and I wanted some info so I could arrange time to have the truck painted. I finally said screw it and took the truck apart and carted it off to the paint shop. If they call anytime soon now about the trailer I could not pick it up as it is the only one with a gooseneck hitch that I own.

Probably not any concern to them, but a couple of friends who were interested in buying a trailer have taken notes of my experience thus far.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:38 PM   #112
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinbroke2 View Post
If everything is correct (balancer/marker/etc) I'm wondering if being a stocker cam on a less than ideal shortblock is producing low cyl pressure and the timing advanced that far is making up for it? As the rpm goes up, the better the cam breathes (less overlap losses of cyl pressure) and it gradually gets back to what is considered normal at 36*?

I'm thinking a tight ring package and decked block so the quench area is ideal and higher static compression would produce more cyl pressure and require less advance on the bottom?

What is the cranking pressure?
Don't have those figures atm, but the same set-up is about to be tested on a fresh F/SA Corvette...that will answer some questions for sure. He will be using a maximum of 44 degrees on his runs.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:40 AM   #113
Dave Noll

Liked 217 Times in 104 Posts

I don't know on the cranking pressure currently. Have been swapping cams. The heads are milled, the block is decked. Supposed to be 9 1/2:1, open chamber FFFord heads. I didn't pick up as much in the 60, but in the quarter it was better than .1 and almost 2 mph.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:16 AM   #114
goinbroke2

Liked 170 Times in 56 Posts

Dave, you're running a Cleveland though and milled or not the open chambers have slow flame propagation and poor mix. I would think that would add a new dimension into the whole thing compared to a smaller chamber chev.
Compared to a Windsor, the bigger chamber Cleveland liked more timing all through the rpm from what I remember too.

For comparison sake, I built a 289 with 260 heads and it was quickest with 28*. Small efficient chamber required little advance (didn't breath worth squat even with the 1.78/1.48 valves put in) Would nose over around 6000 regardless of cam/carb/exh/etc but man it would go from idle to 5800 like a fuel motor!
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:49 AM   #115
Dave Noll

I had an 11:1 351 Windsor in my car before I decided to try Stock. With the timing at 36 it slowed .2 on 110 Sunoco. I raced it @ 40. It had 215lbs cranking compression.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:55 AM   #116
goinbroke2

Wow Dave, that's abnormal for a sbf. I'm assuming you were using 69-70 351W heads? I had a 2 4bbl 302 I built which liked 38* which seemed a lot, when I pulled it apart the pistons were washed clean around the circumference of the piston and the centre was black. I chalked it up to something I did wrong while porting and chamber work and that was why I needed 38. 40 though, that to me seems pretty high.

Course they all ain't the same are they? Lol!
Liked
Old 10-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #117
chris ok

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
Sneaking up on it...a 1.50 60' on this pass. I need to figure out how to adjust the H&R bar to level it out. Also the carb I built is super rich down track...did'nt even lean out beyond 12.2 afr.

Another secret weapon...

You need to add some preload to right rear bar end.
I have same set up.
I make adjustment with my weight in deicers seat aka friend and some stuff in drivers seat and adjust to 0 preload.
That gets it in ballpark and expand or contract right side as needed.
chris ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:34 PM   #118
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris ok View Post
You need to add some preload to right rear bar end.
I have same set up.
I make adjustment with my weight in deicers seat aka friend and some stuff in drivers seat and adjust to 0 preload.
That gets it in ballpark and expand or contract right side as needed.
I did just that the other day while in the shop. I have yet to get back to the track to test it further...calling for rain and temps in the upper 40's for this weekend. It's about time for an engine swap and I may just retire it for the winter to concentrate on getting it ready for next spring.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:46 PM   #119
Dave Noll

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinbroke2 View Post
Wow Dave, that's abnormal for a sbf. I'm assuming you were using 69-70 351W heads? I had a 2 4bbl 302 I built which liked 38* which seemed a lot, when I pulled it apart the pistons were washed clean around the circumference of the piston and the centre was black. I chalked it up to something I did wrong while porting and chamber work and that was why I needed 38. 40 though, that to me seems pretty high.

Course they all ain't the same are they? Lol!
Yes on the 69-70 351W heads.

Around the circumference? Can't say for sure but sounds like a Ring issue to me.

Can I ask what fuel you were running that your sbf liked just 28*?
Old 10-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #120
goinbroke2

Dave I was running 110-140 Av gas from the airport. You'd think more octane and slower flame front would want more but I just used what was available at the time and adjusted to its quickest. It is what it is I guess?

Chris, sorry for derailing the thread.

Last edited by goinbroke2; 10-26-2017 at 11:37 AM.