Default Re: ? on oil fitters....

All I will use is Wix.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
FrankChastain

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
Unfortunately, AC/Delco has been using the lowest bidder to make a lot of their oil filters. There was a time when an AC/Delco filter was a good piece. The only filter they make now that can be trusted is the PF 2232, for the DuraMax. It fits a big block and a small block Chevy as well, it is the same size as the PF35. It's the only filter they make that has the steel tube inside and good quality materials. Most of the rest of their line is "hit or miss" at best. For the price of the PF 2232, you might as well just by a K&N.

I've had the PF 35 and the PF 1218 fail internally, much like the Fram filters, causing a significant loss of oil pressure and volume. Changing the filter brought about an instant return in pressure and volume. I used to use the PF 1218 on everything. Now I just use a K&N.
Allen, I've looked into K & N and found two with the numbers PS-2006 @ around $8.00 and HP-2006 $15.00 + as you know they get higher in prrice. What is the difference in the two...Like I said using the TrailBlazer as personal use. Thanks frank
FrankChastain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #13
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Frank,

Thank you for starting this thread, oil filters are very essential to all of our vehicles.

My feelings are this, I have to maintain my truck, the wife's Jeep, the race car, one collector car, a compact tractor, a riding lawn mower, a chain saw and weedeater. Filters alone are tough to find in many of the "low cost" stores. I use a local automotive parts house that can get ALL of my filters, plugs, and many other maintenance related items. They used to carry Wix and I really liked them, but have recently switched to Hastings as their preffered brand. Just a general feeling it is not quite the filter, but I have seen no serious issues yet. After doing this for several years they know me by name and I can call and order the parts in advance to pick up as needed. It runs slightly more for the total, but I make one trip and get everything at one time. I also like helping my local parts house stay in business. Just my thoughts.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #14
FrankChastain

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneFE View Post
Frank,

Thank you for starting this thread, oil filters are very essential to all of our vehicles.

My feelings are this, I have to maintain my truck, the wife's Jeep, the race car, one collector car, a compact tractor, a riding lawn mower, a chain saw and weedeater. Filters alone are tough to find in many of the "low cost" stores. I use a local automotive parts house that can get ALL of my filters, plugs, and many other maintenance related items. They used to carry Wix and I really liked them, but have recently switched to Hastings as their preffered brand. Just a general feeling it is not quite the filter, but I have seen no serious issues yet. After doing this for several years they know me by name and I can call and order the parts in advance to pick up as needed. It runs slightly more for the total, but I make one trip and get everything at one time. I also like helping my local parts house stay in business. Just my thoughts.
Have always used AC Delco oil filters, Castor Oil 5w-30 oil and really had good luck with them as for as I can tell. The TrailBazer, 03 model, has around 115000 miles and is in excellent condition. I also have a GMC 97 Serri pickup with the 5.2 engine and has 64000 miles on it. As stated I change my on oil/filter at 3000 miles and most auto manufactures recommend 6000, but not me. Been a firm believer in the saying " Pay me now or Pay me later. Appreciate all the responses. frankchastain

Last edited by FrankChastain; 10-23-2012 at 06:58 AM. Reason: should have been 5w-30
Old 10-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #15
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 649 Times in 208 Posts
Cool Re: ? on oil fitters....

I work for the City of Los Angeles Fleet Services, for 26 years now. We service 1400 vehicles belonging to the City Hall pool, trucks and vans belonging to all kinds of departments,each vehicle gets into the shop twice a year, 6 months, 4000 miles,which ever comes up first.We started using Wix filters about 22 years ago, and to my knowledge,we never had a filter related issue.We get deliveries of sometimes 20 cases of filters every two weeks or so, so we're talking about thousands of filters annually. I used to use an over the counter Fram filter on my cars, truck, and race car, but had a bad experience with one. Tony Janes wanted to try an engine that he had in my Chevelle, so two weeks before Winternationals, I pulled my engine, bolted his in, changed the oil and filter, and we tested at Irwindale. After a few runs, I noticed about 20 PSI at idle, and it dropped with RPM. We took the car home, I pulled the engine, replaced the oil pump, put fresh oil in it, same problem. Chuck Norton advised me to get rid of that filter,I did, problem fixed.The internal support for the filter paper collapsed, blocking its flow. I've used AC Delco ever since, but now it looks like Napa or Wix gets the nod. Hope these companies get the message that bad goods results in future corporate failure after the bad reputation starts.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #16
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneFE View Post
Frank,

Hastings/Baldwin manufacture some of the best filters in the market. All their filters, including the ones for general automotive use, are built to SAE and MIL-SPEC.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #17
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks SSDiv6,

My parts house has always had a reputation of offering the finest quality replacement parts. Looks like I trust them and they are right again. I appreciate the info.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #18
FrankChastain

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Hastings/Baldwin manufacture some of the best filters in the market. All their filters, including the ones for general automotive use, are built to SAE and MIL-SPEC.

would you please list who sales them and are they listed as Hastings/Baldwin? thanks frank
Old 10-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #19
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankChastain View Post
would you please list who sales them and are they listed as Hastings/Baldwin? thanks frank
Frank, go to the Hastings or Baldwin website and you can find the resellers in your area by typing your Zip Code.

http://www.hastingsfilter.com/

www.baldwinfilter.com/
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #20
FrankChastain

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Frank, go to the Hastings or Baldwin website and you can find the resellers in your area by typing your Zip Code.

http://www.hastingsfilter.com/

www.baldwinfilter.com/